BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's not on the redesign map as well so that should also be saying something

The MTA knew what they were doing. Now people have no choice but to deal with the Q111 which is all local. It takes a while getting from Jamaica Parsons all the way to 147th, so everyone there just lost their limited service. 

34 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The MTA knew what they were doing. Now people have no choice but to deal with the Q111 which is all local. It takes a while getting from Jamaica Parsons all the way to 147th, so everyone there just lost their limited service. 

At least the redesign plan has the QT45 which replaces the Q111 as basically an express from Guy R. Brewer/Farmers Blvds to Jamaica. It would only stop at Baisley Blvd and Linden Blvd between Farmers Blvd and Jamaica Center, compared to today’s Q114 with 3 additional stops at 137 Ave, Foch Blvd, and 109 Ave.

50 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Bus ‪Operator as we pull into the ferry terminal: “I let all you ride free today and none of y’all said ‘Thank You.’ Do better.”‬

‪Guess it didn’t dawn on him that we all have unlimited MetroCards.‬

It'd have been ironic if a farebeater was the lone person to say thanks !

Seriously though, and I hate to even say this, but he's lucky someone didn't clap back at him (or worse)... Too many loonies out here.... I don't blame any b/o nowadays for not saying a single word to any passenger, outside of answering a relevant question....

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Bus ‪Operator as we pull into the ferry terminal: “I let all you ride free today and none of y’all said ‘Thank You.’ Do better.”‬

‪Guess it didn’t dawn on him that we all have unlimited MetroCards.‬

Some of them really think we're paying at that farebox. I paid my fair a month ago sir, I'm just dipping because of policy. 

Unlimited metrocards are the greatest thing invented. I spend roughly $255 based on if i used pay per ride, and only pay $127 a month. Saving literally over $100 a month. 

46 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It'd have been ironic if a farebeater was the lone person to say thanks !

Seriously though, and I hate to even say this, but he's lucky someone didn't clap back at him (or worse)... Too many loonies out here.... I don't blame any b/o nowadays for not saying a single word to any passenger, outside of answering a relevant question....

There was one sotto voce clap like “this is why our fares keep going up”, but I don’t think he heard it.

But I didn’t realize BOs had discretion to stop people from paying the fare when the fare box is broken.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

There was one sotto voce clap like “this is why our fares keep going up”, but I don’t think he heard it.

But I didn’t realize BOs had discretion to stop people from paying the fare when the fare box is broken.

I know on the Q64 if the operator is late they just let everyone on for free. 

I always imagine how fast some route would be if every route had off board payment similar to select bus service routes. 
The only thing that would stop that from being successful is the fact that the eagle team is for the most part non existent so more people would farebeat. And New Yorkers don’t trust the police especially to be on buses, because of their abuse of power and their secret agenda to target some groups of people. 

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

Gotta admire the pax. that still attempt to pay, when the metrocard slot & coin slot on the farebox is taped over.... I have even seen b/o's put their hand on top of the farebox & wave everyone on - to have pax. say "excuse me" to the b/o (as if his hand is accidentally blocking the thing)...

8 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know on the Q64 if the operator is late they just let everyone on for free. 

I always imagine how fast some route would be if every route had off board payment similar to select bus service routes. 
The only thing that would stop that from being successful is the fact that the eagle team is for the most part non existent so more people would farebeat. And New Yorkers don’t trust the police especially to be on buses, because of their abuse of power and their secret agenda to target some groups of people. 

Would work wonders on the Q69.... not so much on the Q72 or the Q112 though.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Gotta admire the pax. that still attempt to pay, when the metrocard slot & coin slot on the farebox is taped over.... I have even seen b/o's put their hand on top of the farebox & wave everyone on - to have pax. say "excuse me" to the b/o (as if his hand is accidentally blocking the thing)...

Technically that’s what he was doing - blocking the coin and MetroCard slots with his hand. Nothing was broken - he said some folks did pay, but the bulk of us “got on for free.”

it was already a weird flex to rock the mic telling us we should be “thankful” for it when we already had unlimiteds or the $2.75 to pay, but I’m still trying to understand why he was either/both falsifying records labeling us as fare evaders or that the box was broken, or deliberately causing theft of service by not collecting fares or swipes/taps.

It wasn’t my normal route, so it’s doubtful he’ll be found (since I won’t say which one it was), but if he were, seems a weird thing to do - expect “thanks” for him putting his job and/or freedom at risk.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, Jova42R said:

What is the weirdest short-turn you have ever seen?

For me:

• M4 116 ST-BWAY
  • M60 ASTORIA 31 ST (before SBS)
  • S89 YUKON MALL
  • M12 14 ST

What are yours?

Bx3 KINGSBRIDGE RD

Bx21 BRONX STATE HOSPITAL

Bx22 WESTCHESTER AV (I don't know how the hell it would even turn there)

M60 125 ST-2 AV

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Technically that’s what he was doing - blocking the coin and MetroCard slots with his hand. Nothing was broken - he said some folks did pay, but the bulk of us “got on for free.”

it was already a weird flex to rock the mic telling us we should be “thankful” for it when we already had unlimiteds or the $2.75 to pay, but I’m still trying to understand why he was either/both falsifying records labeling us as fare evaders or that the box was broken, or deliberately causing theft of service by not collecting fares or swipes/taps.

It wasn’t my normal route, so it’s doubtful he’ll be found (since I won’t say which one it was), but if he were, seems a weird thing to do - expect “thanks” for him putting his job and/or freedom at risk.

Now I'm beginning to think it had less to do with his "gratitude" (finger quotes) of saving you guys money & more to do with getting you guys to the ferry quicker.... Which means more layover time for him? Who knows....

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Bx3 KINGSBRIDGE RD

Bx21 BRONX STATE HOSPITAL

Bx22 WESTCHESTER AV (I don't know how the hell it would even turn there)

M60 125 ST-2 AV

Bx22 to Westchester?! thats a new one..

One I saw last night was this:

Bx9 FORDHAM PLZ

I've been saying ever since the 5253-5363, 5770-5986 batch of LFSAs started running on SBS routes, that future orders should come with wide rear doors like the TTC LFS/LFSAs. Now look, all door boarding about to start in a couple years and we have all these narrow rear doored buses. All the new LFSAs 5439-5602 should've came with wide rear doors, and all Xcelsior artics in the new scheme 5364-5438, 5987-6286, 1000-1109, 4950-4964, should've came with wide rear doors. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I've been saying ever since the 5253-5363, 5770-5986 batch of LFSAs started running on SBS routes, that future orders should come with wide rear doors like the TTC LFS/LFSAs. Now look, all door boarding about to start in a couple years and we have all these narrow rear doored buses. All the new LFSAs 5439-5602 should've came with wide rear doors, and all Xcelsior artics in the new scheme 5364-5438, 5987-6286, 1000-1109, 4950-4964, should've came with wide rear doors. 

The concept of wide rear doors works better on two-door artics. Having the third door effectively renders it superfluous, as said door already provides more space to enter/exit (and in a more strategic location, to boot).

I wonder: How did the C40LFs, selected units of LFSAs and XD-40s received the screens (Vianova and Clever Devices etc.)? Did the company deliver the screens to various depots and later installed there. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I wonder: How did the C40LFs, selected units of LFSAs and XD-40s received the screens (Vianova and Clever Devices etc.)? Did the company deliver the screens to various depots and later installed there. 

There’s actually a thread for this. But honestly, that is a great question and now I’m wondering the same thing too.