BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Guess I missed the memo...QM4's are back at CP now? I remember someone posting that this was a possibility a while back, but didn't realize it actually happened

Yes it is. Well, good news is that there won't be any old gens or C40s (standards) on the route. 

Edited by Calvin

16 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Have express buses ever run low-floor buses? I know that local buses can run MCIs or Prevosts, but can the reverse happen?

There was once on the QM15 and QM21. Both were due to no MCI availability at that time. (yes but that's a negative effect)

Edited by Calvin

https://abc7ny.com/mom-slashed-by-woman-after-kid-throws-up-on-mta-bus-nypd/5889966/?fbclid=IwAR2Dk9cfG1nb34vDDJRc28zxuHfQqEpU0XgkSnzK9Fmz32maoVC3s_0PaGU

Incident on the B14 this past Tuesday: A mother was slashed by another woman next to her b/c her son threw up on the bus

Edited by Calvin

Was reading the Queens Redesign thread and I have an honest question. What's this obsession with bus stop removal really about ? Not only Queens but citywide. I've seen people claiming it's to speed up commutes but there must be some other underlying metric that I'm missing. I've been around Brooklyn since Truman was President ( Yes I'm old ), but honest. Lived in Brownsville, Flatbush, East New York, with relatives scattered all over the borough. B14, B46 or B17 to elementary and JHS. B49, B41, B44, B35 to/from Erasmus Hall. I'm talking weekdays here. B49 or B44 to grandma's house in Bed-Stuy.  When my neighborhood went to one way streets I had buses on New York, Nostrand, Rogers, Bedford, and Flatbush Avenues. Empire Blvd, Clarkson and Church for east west travel. I don't ever recall people complaining about buses making too many stops. Simple reason, at least to me, is because even though there were many stops along those routes every bus didn't stop at every stop. Using the n/b B49 for example the bus would stop at Church, maybe Linden or Lenox, then Clarkson, perhaps Fenimore and then Empire. It's already bypassed three stops along the way. I jumped on at Rutland one day and got off at Empire to meet someone at a diner. I'm guessing that if I didn't alight there his next stop might have been President or Eastern Parkway. There were stops in between but weren't needed on my trip. Each of those stops were potential ridership spots ($$$$) the (MTA) now wants to pass up. To save a buck you want to ignore these people ? Maybe that's why we had more ridership back in the day because the BOT, the NYCTA, and the (MTA) were in the business of providing a service instead of spinning the money over to dollar vans, Uber, and Lyft. Look no further than Fulton St from Downtown Brooklyn to Alabama Avenue. As my mom told it to me Fulton St bus, Fulton St El, later the IND, were different modes of transit on the same street but the El, and later subway, were used from the east to Downtown for work, while the buses served another purpose. Looking at some of these redesign ideas in Queens today's B25 and the old B54 under the Myrtle El should only have stopped at the train stations. Space the stops out and you wonder why ridership drops. Just my unscientific take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I remember seeing an X68 using a Nova LFS two or three summers ago  

Yep. I remember I missed it by a minute, since I remember trying to catch one of the MHV's RTS' on the M3. I saw it pass by, and firsthand thought it might have just been a Q32 loan. In one instance, an RTS was also used on the X68.

46714912512_5fe41bdb0a_h.jpg1996-nova-bus-rts-9661-on-the-x68-at-woodhaven-blvd-hoffman-drive_10044203995_o by BM5 Photos (2011-2013), on Flickr

4 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Have express buses ever run low-floor buses? I know that local buses can run MCIs or Prevosts, but can the reverse happen?

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

There was once on the QM15 and QM21. Both were due to no MCI availability at that time. (yes but that's a negative effect)

It's happened multiple times on both lines. Also happened on the QM16 and QM17. Here's one from over four years ago: 

48099349972_9897bd90fa_h.jpg2006 Orion VII Hybrid 3744 on the QM15 at Woodhaven Boulevard & 61st Road by BM5 Photos (8/22/15-1/15/16), on Flickr

48099079523_f7a3948582_h.jpg2007 Orion VII Hybrid 3770 on the QM21 at Eliot Avenue & Queens Boulevard by BM5 Photos (8/22/15-1/15/16), on Flickr

24 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yep. I remember I missed it by a minute, since I remember trying to catch one of the MHV's RTS' on the M3. I saw it pass by, and firsthand thought it might have just been a Q32 loan. In one instance, an RTS was also used on the X68.

46714912512_5fe41bdb0a_h.jpg1996-nova-bus-rts-9661-on-the-x68-at-woodhaven-blvd-hoffman-drive_10044203995_o by BM5 Photos (2011-2013), on Flickr

It's happened multiple times on both lines. Also happened on the QM16 and QM17. Here's one from over four years ago: 

48099349972_9897bd90fa_h.jpg2006 Orion VII Hybrid 3744 on the QM15 at Woodhaven Boulevard & 61st Road by BM5 Photos (8/22/15-1/15/16), on Flickr

48099079523_f7a3948582_h.jpg2007 Orion VII Hybrid 3770 on the QM21 at Eliot Avenue & Queens Boulevard by BM5 Photos (8/22/15-1/15/16), on Flickr

Lmao imagine riding a local bus on that long express run 🤣

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://abc7ny.com/mom-slashed-by-woman-after-kid-throws-up-on-mta-bus-nypd/5889966/?fbclid=IwAR2Dk9cfG1nb34vDDJRc28zxuHfQqEpU0XgkSnzK9Fmz32maoVC3s_0PaGU

Incident on the B14 this past Tuesday: A mother was slashed by another woman next to her b/c her son threw up on the bus

Yeah, I heard about this on the news.... I was smh for 2 different reasons:

- the slashing in & of itself...
- the supposed reason for the slashing (yeah, people are nuts out here, but 10 bucks says that baby throwing up on her was NOT it)...

7 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Was reading the Queens Redesign thread and I have an honest question. What's this obsession with bus stop removal really about ? Not only Queens but citywide. I've seen people claiming it's to speed up commutes but there must be some other underlying metric that I'm missing. I've been around Brooklyn since Truman was President ( Yes I'm old ), but honest. Lived in Brownsville, Flatbush, East New York, with relatives scattered all over the borough. B14, B46 or B17 to elementary and JHS. B49, B41, B44, B35 to/from Erasmus Hall. I'm talking weekdays here. B49 or B44 to grandma's house in Bed-Stuy.  When my neighborhood went to one way streets I had buses on New York, Nostrand, Rogers, Bedford, and Flatbush Avenues. Empire Blvd, Clarkson and Church for east west travel. I don't ever recall people complaining about buses making too many stops. Simple reason, at least to me, is because even though there were many stops along those routes every bus didn't stop at every stop. Using the n/b B49 for example the bus would stop at Church, maybe Linden or Lenox, then Clarkson, perhaps Fenimore and then Empire. It's already bypassed three stops along the way. I jumped on at Rutland one day and got off at Empire to meet someone at a diner. I'm guessing that if I didn't alight there his next stop might have been President or Eastern Parkway. There were stops in between but weren't needed on my trip. Each of those stops were potential ridership spots ($$$$) the (MTA) now wants to pass up. To save a buck you want to ignore these people ? Maybe that's why we had more ridership back in the day because the BOT, the NYCTA, and the (MTA) were in the business of providing a service instead of spinning the money over to dollar vans, Uber, and Lyft. Look no further than Fulton St from Downtown Brooklyn to Alabama Avenue. As my mom told it to me Fulton St bus, Fulton St El, later the IND, were different modes of transit on the same street but the El, and later subway, were used from the east to Downtown for work, while the buses served another purpose. Looking at some of these redesign ideas in Queens today's B25 and the old B54 under the Myrtle El should only have stopped at the train stations. Space the stops out and you wonder why ridership drops. Just my unscientific take. Carry on.

This has less to do with buses city-wide actually making too many stops & far more to do with not having a solution to lessening the amount of traffic in this city....

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Hot damn!

I don't even remember when that happened but that's killer. Brings me back to those suburban-seat RTSes... I remember when Quill's coach seat buses would pop up on the local lines. Probably some O5s mixed in on that too.

17 hours ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

A new Q100 stop on 21 Street and 24 Avenue?

https://bustime.mta.info/m/?q=Q100

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The proposed QT69 is slated to make less stops, but they have the current Q100 "making" more stops :lol:

It actually stops there. I had a work party in December at a restaurant across the street, and myself and a few coworkers picked up the Q100 at that stop.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It actually stops there. I had a work party in December at a restaurant across the street, and myself and a few coworkers picked up the Q100 at that stop.

That's interesting, because the most recent timetable makes no reference of that stop, nor was any there any notice about any stop additions.