BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This is my only concern with this back door boarding and free rides. The trains are filled with homeless now, buses are becoming a free for all in Staten Island with bums and drunks riding around the island...wtf. 

I'm not gonna lie, must be nice with the LIRR situation...I pay $39.50 a day 😐

$40!?! I thought the highest ticket price was $22 from Mountak to Penn Station?

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

$40!?! I thought the highest ticket price was $22 from Mountak to Penn Station?

24 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

He could prolly be talking about Metro-North. Upper Harlem Line and Connecticut comes out to almost 40$ a trip into GCT. 

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I assume he meant round trip.

I'm referring to round trip lol...you don't just take a train one direction. 

$19.75 one way, Peak...Zone 10 to Penn Station. 

The most expensive is $30.50 from Zone 14 to Zone 1...Peak... which is $61 round trip. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

2 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

The MTA website is reporting now that there is no B/16 or B/37 service.

Well, at least in the case of the B37 there's both the (R) train and B63 as alternatives. TA only wants essential workers riding the system so these B37 riders should able bodied enough to walk to the (R) or B63..

I do wonder what's the exact reason for those two routes getting suspended. An B/O who works the route got the virus and effected multiple drivers & buses? Too many B/O's called out sick today?

Bruh 2019 LFS 8609 is on the SIM1C!! I'm hearing they're about to start putting local buses on the express routes to avoid any contact with the drivers. 

Even though this is a crisis, some interesting things are happening across the city. Would love to see photos and videos but of course that's at your own risk. 

Edit: Governors are being disabled on the buses. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This isn't the thread for this question, but I'll answer it.

Neither of them failed. The double decker actually passed tests outside of height restrictions. 37 buses were originally going to be ordered for the x17J and some of the other via Jersey routes, but that plan was eventually dropped, reason being that those buses would be permanently at Charleston, and they would rack up miles really fast. It made more sense to order standard 45ft coaches.

The D45 CRT LE also passed tests, they were in the bidding wars with Prevost Car Inc. for the latest order for MTA Bus and NYC Bus collectively. Prevost Car Inc. lowballed MCI by 13 million and won the contract, which makes me very skeptical about this new order and how long they will last, because the current batch of 2500s, 2600s and 2700s on Staten Island aren't holding up as well as some people would say....

Rumor is that the MTA didn't want to be the first big buyer of the D45 CRT LE, but I'm not quite sure how true that actually is.....I think AC Transit will be the first big buyer of those CRT LEs with 150 units, but I could be wrong. Prevost was also awarded the contract because the buses will be built in upstate New York, which would allow for more New York State content into the fleet.

On the topic of the D45 CRT LE, we recently had an engineering test bus in the city about a month ago, covered in wires. They were testing the bus out in various areas of the city and collecting data on it, perhaps for future consideration for an order.

Sorry about the wrong thread and thanks for answering my question. LOL

I'm pretty sure we're not getting a quality product from Prevost this time either. The Prevosts from past orders have been breaking down left and right especially from shoddy maintenance from Ulmer Park and SI depots. 

Never got around to riding the double decker but I heard that bus was a beast doing 62-65 mph on the NJ turnpike. 

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Sorry about the wrong thread and thanks for answering my question. LOL

I'm pretty sure we're not getting a quality product from Prevost this time either. The Prevosts from past orders have been breaking down left and right especially from shoddy maintenance from Ulmer Park and SI depots. 

Never got around to riding the double decker but I heard that bus was a beast doing 62-65 mph on the NJ turnpike. 

Breakdowns are inevitable with any bus, so that's going to be a moot point across the board.

I thought about suggesting the TA use the local buses on the express routes during this pandemic, to avoid contact with the driver. But two issues...

1)On a weekday schedule, there's probably not enough spare local buses to cover both local and express service, especially during rush hour. 

2) Express bus riders complaining about hard seat buses running on express routes. Listen, were in a pandemic, everybody in NYC has to make sacrifices due to this virus. Riding hard seat buses while the city is in shambles is no big deal. Me personally, I would just be happy a bus shows up at all.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bruh 2019 LFS 8609 is on the SIM1C!! I'm hearing they're about to start putting local buses on the express routes to avoid any contact with the drivers. 

Even though this is a crisis, some interesting things are happening across the city. Would love to see photos and videos but of course that's at your own risk. 

I was going to ask that one...you have to have those buses wide open if you're going to run express duty, or at least set to 55. That bus looks as though it will do an entire shift.

I never thought the type of seat would be an issue, but rather the speed limiters. I could see Spring Creek and College Point resetting the speed limiters and sending C40LFs out on express routes, although a major difference here is that with 8609, one still gets WiFi and charging ports. Also, in an emergency, since fares aren't being collected on 8609, I could see a situation where the SIM1C and S79 SBS are combined on weekends, with all trips to SI Mall and local in SI, but then deviating leaving the island.

As for the X27 and X28, if enough drivers are XD60 qualified, maybe the ex-Kingsbridge buses should run there instead, to promote social distancing?

Edited by aemoreira81

41 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

I was going to ask that one...you have to have those buses wide open if you're going to run express duty, or at least set to 55. That bus looks as though it will do an entire shift.

I never thought the type of seat would be an issue, but rather the speed limiters. I could see Spring Creek and College Point resetting the speed limiters and sending C40LFs out on express routes, although a major difference here is that with 8609, one still gets WiFi and charging ports. Also, in an emergency, since fares aren't being collected on 8609, I could see a situation where the SIM1C and S79 SBS are combined on weekends, with all trips to SI Mall and local in SI, but then deviating leaving the island.

As for the X27 and X28, if enough drivers are XD60 qualified, maybe the ex-Kingsbridge buses should run there instead, to promote social distancing?

This post jumped the shark when you said the SIM1C and S79 should be combined, the hell with social distancing I guess?

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I thought about suggesting the TA use the local buses on the express routes during this pandemic, to avoid contact with the driver. But two issues...

1)On a weekday schedule, there's probably not enough spare local buses to cover both local and express service, especially during rush hour. 

2) Express bus riders complaining about hard seat buses running on express routes. Listen, were in a pandemic, everybody in NYC has to make sacrifices due to this virus. Riding hard seat buses while the city is in shambles is no big deal. Me personally, I would just be happy a bus shows up at all.

Apparently next week or the one after will start a Emergency Sunday schedule, where certain routes that don't run on weekends would run their midday peak frequencies, there would be enough local buses to cover all express runs if needed. 

At this point no one should be complaining about seats as those buses are free, and only frequent essential riders should be using it anyways. 

49 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Yeah there's certain Yukon buses that have their governors removed because of the S89. If they're removing more...I'm not sure at the moment. 

X27 and X28 operators would use XD40s, those routes definitely do not need artics in this situation. Also, I don't even think artics are at Ulmer Park since the conversion is delayed because of the virus closing schools (and almost everything now). 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Apparently next week or the one after will start a Emergency Sunday schedule, where certain routes that don't run on weekends would run their midday peak frequencies, there would be enough local buses to cover all express runs if needed. 

At this point no one should be complaining about seats as those buses are free, and only frequent essential riders should be using it anyways. 

Yeah there's certain Yukon buses that have their governors removed because of the S89. If they're removing more...I'm not sure at the moment. 

X27 and X28 operators would use XD40s, those routes definitely do not need artics in this situation. Also, I don't even think artics are at Ulmer Park since the conversion is delayed because of the virus closing schools (and almost everything now). 

Ulmer still technically has the 4 artics. 4743-4745, 4756. 

Given how the express routes may use either standard units or articulated coaches within the next week or so, which buses are Liberty Lines Express going to use? Are they likely to get standard unit or articulated coaches from Jamaica Buses, Green Bus Lines, Triboro Coach, Command, New York Bus Service, or Queens Surface?

20 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

14 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

(not my pic)

92595383_653879892113730_901466489574391

Somma yous found it.... I saw this on twitter.

11 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Given how the express routes may use either standard units or articulated coaches within the next week or so, which buses are Liberty Lines Express going to use? Are they likely to get standard unit or articulated coaches from Jamaica Buses, Green Bus Lines, Triboro Coach, Command, New York Bus Service, or Queens Surface?

Haha, at first when you said Liberty Lines Express I thought you was talking about Bee Line which is also called Liberty Lines. Then I realized you are talking about Yonkers Depot.

I'm wondering the same thing, Yonkers has like 80 or 90 buses, it MIGHT be doable if they run a Sunday schedule during the week on express bus routes at Yonkers, and NYCT contributes some buses. There's also the issue of Yonkers drivers being trained on local bus equipment.

If local buses do run on express routes in the masses, the TA is baiting busfans like a mofo to break quarantine to go out and fan this lol. 

Edited by trainfan22

Hard to believe the PBLs ended 14 years ago; seems like yesterday- I still remember Triboro Coach and their Orion V CNGs with the soft seats.  Best buses I ever rode in this city.  Too bad the MTA buses on local routes didn't have those seats.

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Hard to believe the PBLs ended 14 years ago; seems like yesterday- I still remember Triboro Coach and their Orion V CNGs with the soft seats.  Best buses I ever rode in this city.  Too bad the MTA buses on local routes didn't have those seats.

The Orion CNGs with soft seats operated on the local routes at SC in like 2009, 2010, use to ride them all the time at B100 & B103.  UP & QV operated RTSs with express bus seats on locals after the MCI's demoted them to local service.