BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Lmao...goooood memory I'll say that much. Not too many folks remember all the remarks on the forum back when.

Nah, I can't take the credit here - it was @BM5 via Woodhaven that recalled that asinine comment of his in another thread about a week or two ago....

13 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Matthew 7:12, honey. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

That train already derailed.

15 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Anyone with better bus knowledge than me know what the capacity of an XD40 and XD60 are, seated + standing? I'm thinking of starting up more cohesive transit writings again so I need this info, but everywhere I can find only really estimates seated.

Off the cuff, I'd have told you 80 & 120 (respectively), but this is clearly more credible:

• XD40 (2nd paragraph)
  • XD60 (2nd paragraph)

On 5/23/2020 at 10:11 PM, aemoreira81 said:

For the people in the IG post...would that be the worst thing to plow them over? It's clear that they're future delinquents.

yeah, because a bus operator REALLY wants to ruin his/her livelihood/career by committing multiple counts of vehicular manslaughter... caught on camera. aside from ever operating a commercial vehi... never mind. whatever. 😒🙄

3 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yeah, because a bus operator REALLY wants to ruin his/her livelihood/career by committing multiple counts of vehicular manslaughter... caught on camera. aside from ever operating a commercial vehi... never mind. whatever. 😒🙄

Don't even dignify that stupid shit with a response, fam.....

This is probably moot with all the redesigns coming, but which BC routes kept their routings since the PBL days? I know off the top of my head, the Q110 and 111 did. The Q22, 38, 49, 64, 67, 69, 72, 100, 101, 103 and 104 did as well.

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

This is probably moot with all the redesigns coming, but which BC routes kept their routings since the PBL days? I know off the top of my head, the Q110 and 111 did. The Q22, 38, 49, 64, 67, 69, 72, 100, 101, 103 and 104 did as well.

Q6, Q9, Q11, Q18, Q22, Q29, Q35 basically just changed the direction of its terminal, Q39.
I’m not 100% with the Q66, I think it used to terminate at the Queensbridge (F) station but looking at old Queens bus maps it’s looks like it stopped a block away from Queensboro Plaza. 

I don’t recall the B100 ever changing it’s route.

On the express side of things I’m not 100% but I think the QM1, QM4 and QM21 are roughly the same. I would say the QM6 basically the same as well even though it was called the QM1A. 

23 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Q6, Q9, Q11, Q18, Q22, Q29, Q35 basically just changed the direction of its terminal, Q39.
I’m not 100% with the Q66, I think it used to terminate at the Queensbridge (F) station but looking at old Queens bus maps it’s looks like it stopped a block away from Queensboro Plaza. 

On the express side of things I’m not 100% but I think the QM1, QM4 and QM21 are roughly the same. I would say the QM6 basically the same as well even though it was called the QM1A. 

The Q66 used to terminate at the Queensbridge (F) station until 2007. 

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If you want to be nitpicky, they have changed the QM1 routing on the Fresh Meadows end. Buses used to pick up on 64th Avenue & 188th Street, and then turn onto 188th Street onto Manhattan. However, the QM1 now starts on 188th Street itself (north of 64th Ave, between HHE & 64th Ave). 

The QM1A/QM5 routing has remained the same I believe. So has the QM1A/QM6 routing. 

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you want to be nitpicky, they have changed the QM1 routing on the Fresh Meadows end. Buses used to pick up on 64th Avenue & 188th Street, and then turn onto 188th Street onto Manhattan. However, the QM1 now starts on 188th Street itself (north of 64th Ave, between HHE & 64th Ave). 

The QM1A/QM5 routing has remained the same I believe. So has the QM1A/QM6 routing. 

Oh yeah I do remember it having that stop on 64th Ave & 188th. It also had a stop on 188th & 64th Ave itself because the stop on 64th Ave was used I think only during the AM rush. It always interest me how the Union Turnpike expresses have their own spot where buses stop at during the rush hour in addition to the regular stop it would share all other times with the local bus. I haven’t seen this practice anywhere else that I can recall. Probably Staten Island since they have a lot buses that serve the same stops at a time. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

On 5/22/2020 at 11:28 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Maybe they hope you will get off the bus and go right into the Chevy dealer to buy a car and never need the Q12 again ;)

But it’s a Chevy - you’ll be back on the bus waiting for that replacement tranny to show up, get installed, and work close to properly.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:11 PM, aemoreira81 said:

For the people in the IG post...would that be the worst thing to plow them over? It's clear that they're future delinquents.

So now advocating assault and homicide?

COVID is really showing the world people’s true colors.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:10 AM, Snorunts said:

Wtf is the joy in this? Do these teens feel pleasure by doing this? Because that’s sad.

I remember flying out here in ‘95 and seeing folks riding on the rear bumper of RTS’ by putting fingers in the hook at the bottom of the grille/black vents.

They didn’t do that in LA, Detroit, SF, or anywhere else RTS’ ran supreme.

Thats when I knew NYers are different.

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Lmao. Guess Gleason gave up on washing. That's usual the kind of thing you see in winter.

The bus wash is currently being upgraded at the depot (definitely needs it), there's only one wash unit available right now. But, the reason why the rims are as dirty as they are is more due to the brake dust that accumulates. I've seen rims get replaced and the ones that do get pulled off the buses are so blackened on the inner part that it looks like it's been painted! It's pretty interesting to see.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:19 PM, Deucey said:

I remember flying out here in ‘95 and seeing folks riding on the rear bumper of RTS’ by putting fingers in the hook at the bottom of the grille/black vents.

They didn’t do that in LA, Detroit, SF, or anywhere else RTS’ ran supreme.

Thats when I knew NYers are different.

I can imagine a lot of folks who rode on the back bumper of the RTS’s ended up with black fingers. 

Another quick question: what is the most frequent bus in the city and its frequency? And have we run higher frequencies than that before, and if so, what?

When I mean most frequent I mean during any given time of the day for an hour. So peak-only frequencies are eligible to answer this question.

Edited by bobtehpanda