BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

19 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Now that’s a first right there. An artic on the B2. Looks like Flatbush is making a case to become all artic in the near future. 

I don’t think so. Just now, they have the buses and drivers to do it, so why not. Also, you can do more social distancing on artic buses

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2020 at 11:58 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm surprised they are training now. did they have a bunch of trainees crowded in the bus today? I hope they were all wearing masks!

They've been training for the past couple of weeks down in Coney Island with the 4700s. I always see them passing my job saying Training Bus.

13 hours ago, MTADieselBuses said:

I think I've found it, it's Craig Avenue and Hylan Boulevard in Staten Island, that's about 25 miles away from Times Square.

Times Square is nowhere near the southern tip of Manhattan. You would need to measure from the southern tip of Manhattan, not from Times Square. 

30 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Times Square is nowhere near the southern tip of Manhattan. You would need to measure from the southern tip of Manhattan, not from Times Square. 

Technically, he doesn't - which is exactly why I didn't bother answering that question.... Wasn't finite enough.

For the hell of it, I would ask between what two MTA bus stops (express or local) encompasses the longest distance between them..... Not on the same route, but any two bus stops served by any MTA bus route...

Not your question but just out of curiosity, thinking of the longest distance between stops on the same route...that's definitely over the bridges, no? The M60's RFK hijinks definitely cover some real estate. Putting that on Google, looks like it's about 3 miles even. That's partly since it's such a winding route though. Of the straight shot bridges, I'd have to think the Verrazzano would be pretty good, since that's just under a mile by itself. Looks like the 79 goes 2.7mi between stops. Whitestone is up there too, with the Q44 covering some ground. Looks like the Q44 is 2.9mi between stops over the bridge. 

Edited by MHV9218

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Not your question but just out of curiosity, thinking of the longest distance between stops on the same route...that's definitely over the bridges, no? The M60's RFK hijinks definitely cover some real estate. Putting that on Google, looks like it's about 3 miles even. That's partly since it's such a winding route though. Of the straight shot bridges, I'd have to think the Verrazzano would be pretty good, since that's just under a mile by itself. Looks like the 79 goes 2.7mi between stops. Whitestone is up there too, with the Q44 covering some ground. Looks like the Q44 is 2.9mi between stops over the bridge. 

S89 beats the M60 by a mile which means the S89 makes about 4 miles total

(Bayonne Bridge) 

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

S89 beats the M60 by a mile which means the S89 makes about 4 miles total

(Bayonne Bridge) 

Lol at the double meaning.... The S89 doesn't beat the M60 by an (idiomatic) mile, it beats it by a (literal) mile :lol:

Regardless, yeah, this answers MHV's question... No other (local) route in the system has the difference between two stops on the same route as the S89 between Walker & 34th st HBLR.....

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Technically, he doesn't - which is exactly why I didn't bother answering that question.... Wasn't finite enough.

For the hell of it, I would ask between what two MTA bus stops (express or local) encompasses the longest distance between them..... Not on the same route, but any two bus stops served by any MTA bus route...

Maybe Getty Sq BxM3 and Craig/Hylan but I didn’t measure, just a guess

13 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol at the double meaning.... The S89 doesn't beat the M60 by an (idiomatic) mile, it beats it by a (literal) mile :lol:

Regardless, yeah, this answers MHV's question... No other (local) route in the system has the difference between two stops on the same route as the S89 between Walker & 34th st HBLR.....

They should add stops bet. the bridge & HBLR sta. on 440 to serve the businesses along there.

Cuomo just said the beaches will reopen on Memorial Day weekend. This will be a disaster for the Q35 as those buses be crushloaded during beach season WITH the entire bus being available. This year it will be even worse with the front of the bus closed to passengers and buses being free.

Of course you can't social distance in a crushloaded bus, Q53 will have the same problem.

A couple days ago I took the B103 to Wendy's as I had a taste for their food. Going there the bus was pretty close normal crowding levels the 103 has, no way everyone on that bus was an essential worker. I took the bus to Wendy's only for it to be closed for takeout (it was drive thru only). 

35 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Cuomo just said the beaches will reopen on Memorial Day weekend. This will be a disaster for the Q35 as those buses be crushloaded during beach season WITH the entire bus being available. This year it will be even worse with the front of the bus closed to passengers and buses being free.

Of course you can't social distance in a crushloaded bus, Q53 will have the same problem.

A couple days ago I took the B103 to Wendy's as I had a taste for their food. Going there the bus was pretty close normal crowding levels the 103 has, no way everyone on that bus was an essential worker. I took the bus to Wendy's only for it to be closed for takeout (it was drive thru only). 

Perhaps the beach routes will be the ones where you need to reserve a seat ahead of time or something like that, which the MTA has thrown around as a possible idea, otherwise it will a total disaster as your predict!

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Perhaps the beach routes will be the ones where you need to reserve a seat ahead of time or something like that, which the MTA has thrown around as a possible idea, otherwise it will a total disaster as your predict!

I made an mistake, NY STATE beaches will open but NYC beaches will stay closed until further notice. Sorry for the confusion everyone :(

Is Jones Beach still a thing, or nah?

20 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

So much for social distancing on the buses

Short of that bus coming close to carrying air, you're only going to get so much space to yourself on a public bus anyway....

Edited by B35 via Church