BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overnight express bus service will be running in Queens at least. The X68 is running, and there are buses at the terminals on the QM6 and QM17 waiting to depart at their respective times. 

Update: 

The BM2, X28, BxM4, and BxM11 are running as well. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
Looks like buses are running on the regular route.

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The bustime website is a mess too. It says "all queens bus service is suspended" but also lists an outdated QM7 detour

Yeah, and for essential workers that started before midnight, they were SOL. A friend of mine was lucky in that he could take the subway, but his employer has been telling him not to use the subway to mitigate any spread of Coronavirus. Didn't have a choice last night since there was no Uber or Lyft.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, and for essential workers that started before midnight, they were SOL. A friend of mine was lucky in that he could take the subway, but his employer has been telling him not to use the subway to mitigate any spread of Coronavirus. Didn't have a choice last night since there was no Uber or Lyft.

Yeah, my colleagues who worked until midnight or 1 or 2 am ended up having to take the subway home since nothing else was running. A lot of the areas medical centers have been running private vans to and from nearby subway hubs to pick up and drop off their employees 

At 2PM, all NYC buses pulled over for a moment of silence in memory of George Floyd. The B/O announced this over the PA system. The B/O of the bus I'm on pulled into the bus stop, pulled the parking brake, and threw up the Black Power fist for a bit. Very dope gesture!

Just happened to glance at the old (MTA) website after a friend gave me a heads up. The status of the Brooklyn buses is obviously screwed up because of the protests in the borough. My question is exactly “ who’s writing these updates “ ? Vanderbilt Avenue or Vanderbilt Street? Buses terminating at locations that aren’t even on their routes ? Looking at the B35 for example it said no service eastbound between two major streets and the next sentence repeats the same thing although it would appear that the troubled area is westbound if you go by what’s written. Are the status updates for the other boroughs this poorly written? Carry on.

I saw a cleaning crew cleaning and disinfecting the driver’s area on a Bx19 during a relief earlier.

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Are the status updates for the other boroughs this poorly written?

I think I read somewhere that at times they’ll have seasonal/temp/rookie/what-have-you kind of people writing up the status updates.

Protests today are going up Flatbush between Grand Army Plaza (and through downtown Brooklyn to Cadman Plaza). There is also a separate one in East New York. Brooklyn Division truncations (inbound to downtown Brooklyn except B14):

• B14: Via Blake Avenue (eastbound) and Dumont Avenue (westtbound) instead of Sutter Avenue, between Pennsylvania Avenue and the Cypress Hills Houses
  • B25: Last stop Washington Avenue
  • B26 and B52: Last stop Greene/Carlton Avenues
  • B37 and B103: Last stop Dean Street
  • B38: Last stop Washington Avenue
  • B41: Last stop Empire Boulevard
  • B45: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B54: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B57/B62: Last stop Farragut Houses
  • B63: Last stop 9 Street
  • B65: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B67: Last stop Union Street
  • B69: Suspended until Monday morning
Edited by aemoreira81
Made it clearer vis a vis B14

9 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Protests today are going up Flatbush between Grand Army Plaza (and through downtown Brooklyn to Cadman Plaza). There is also a separate one in East New York. Brooklyn Division truncations (inbound to downtown Brooklyn except B14):

• B14: Via Blake Avenue (eastbound) and Dumont Avenue (westtbound) instead of Sutter Avenue, between Pennsylvania Avenue and the Cypress Hills Houses
  • B25: Last stop Washington Avenue
  • B26 and B52: Last stop Greene/Carlton Avenues
  • B37 and B103: Last stop Dean Street
  • B38: Last stop Washington Avenue
  • B41: Last stop Empire Boulevard
  • B45: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B54: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B57/B62: Last stop Farragut Houses
  • B63: Last stop 9 Street
  • B65: Last stop Vanderbilt Avenue
  • B67: Last stop Union Street
  • B69: Suspended until Monday morning

B61 buses were told to terminate at Pier 6 since you left that one out.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:45 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Just happened to glance at the old (MTA) website after a friend gave me a heads up. The status of the Brooklyn buses is obviously screwed up because of the protests in the borough. My question is exactly “ who’s writing these updates “ ? Vanderbilt Avenue or Vanderbilt Street? Buses terminating at locations that aren’t even on their routes ? Looking at the B35 for example it said no service eastbound between two major streets and the next sentence repeats the same thing although it would appear that the troubled area is westbound if you go by what’s written. Are the status updates for the other boroughs this poorly written? Carry on.

I've been getting complaints from Queens Residents that a lot of veteran doctors, educators, realtors, and clerks have outright left the city because they're tired of these overly ambitious young people picking a fight with them in their office. Most people who work out of Roosevelt Field and Green Acres are Queens Residents who admit they willingly quit their office jobs in Manhattan for a small shop because it's the least stressful and easy thing to do even if it means getting paid at a hourly wage.

I asked this very question in a meeting with Cipriano and other senior planners. Room went quiet. LOL I told them the detour info is always a mess and wanted to know who was responsible for them. Lol

Lex (the member on this forum) pointed out another one in another thread not too long ago, where these rhodes scholars obfuscated Columbus av for Columbus Circle.....

These updates have gotten more & more egregious... It's enough that you have to figure out what course of action you need to take, due to some diversion.... Nevermind the frustration in having to figure out just wtf's even going on in reading the description/details of said diversion, before the fact.... SMFH.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I asked this very question in a meeting with Cipriano and other senior planners. Room went quiet. LOL I told them the detour info is always a mess and wanted to know who was responsible for them. Lol

Funny how everybody knows everything, except when it comes time to know something.... Then nobody knows anything.

This agency's long gone to the dogs.

Edited by B35 via Church

I read in the local papers that there was a protest in Five Towns organized by the residents over there which and given the approval of the Mayor in Cedarhurst. It's been causing NICE to terminate the n31/32 over at Rockaway Turnpike this week but we haven't heard anything about the Q113 or Q114.  It's tricky because Five Towns is more organic and doesn't mind the n31/32 running into Queens since it's used by Lawrence and Cedarhurst residents to get into Mott Avenue.

NICE has been moving the n31/32/33's stand around from Subway Terminal to avoiding the stop at B.21 and Mott. I thought the city knew that those mile long lines by the (A) and on Rockaway Turnpike by the n31 were people getting fed up waiting for the Q22 and Q113/114. Nassau Residents around Hewlett have been baffled by the sudden increase in the 31/32's ridership South of Broadway at Sheridan. They would faint if I told them that Inner Far Rockaway usage and Mott Avenue to Cedarhurst Avenue usage is increasing on the n32 while the n31 is used by health aides heading to work along West Broadway. In short, they're oblivious to the Queens Residents who use the n31/32 as a means to connect to the n1 at Hewlett for Green Acres as to avoid 5 Towns Shopping Center. 

In short, NICE's knows Queens Residents use their buses for reverse peak travel by the law prevents them from fully serving Queens. Old Bus Drivers thought that the fare beaters would get them in trouble with the MTA for breaking the law in exchange for a free fare. Newer Ones know that they're being filmed on security cameras which were installed in response to the assaults on bus operators on the n6 at Hempstead, and n22/24 at Roosvelt Field done by Queens Village Residents heading to the Mall. I tend to omit that Nassau County Residents hate that they are reliant on Queens Residents to work at their Malls in Green Acres and Roosevelt Field or drive out to Broadway Mall in Hicksville using the local roads and avoiding the Parkways.

Edited by NY1635

According the Queens Chronicle, there was looting going on around Queens Center Mall-Rego Center with protesters throwing water bottles and rocks at police while running around. The MTA forgets that I cannot see anything on Queens Blvd because Lefrak City is blocking the view of everything. The article mentions Slattery Plaza at Woodhaven and 63rd Drive at Rego Park as the area of where looting takes place.  This sounds like the Queens I know. 

I am assuming that something similar is happening at Kings Plaza Mall around Flatbush. The Valley Stream Residents elected to build a barrier by the Nassau-Queens Border at Green Acres sometime ago in response to the Q5 and Q85 serving Green Acres from the MTA. South Valley Stream tends to be more upfront about not wanting Queens while North Valley Stream welcomes them. It seems neither are cluing in on the shoppers at the Macy's Lot merely waiting for the Q5 to go into service. I haven't seen much commuter vans in the area since Bronx BBQ, Toys-R-Us closed. The Mall recently opened an Aldi's Grocery Store where the old theater used to be. 

There were a similar demonstration at the Queens Boro Hall at Queens Blvd near the Union Turnpike Station on the (E)(F) lines held by the assemblymen and John Liu. It seems that Black Lives Matter are smaller in number but boast their power while the local politicians are well organized. 

Edited by NY1635

I wish I can find the numbers under the LIB. The ridership data for Nassau Queens Route goes as follows

n6: 13,500 Riders under LIB, 14,000-18,000 Riders as of 2020. It gained riders when the rush hour trips on the N2 and N3 to Jamaica were cut

n4: 9,000 tied with the n40/41 to Freeport under LIB, 10,000 as of 2016 for the n4 with the n40/41 down to 7000

n20: 7000 Riders *Route Separate to cut down on delays into Queens

n21: 900 before it was cut back to Great Neck Station

n22: Currently at 6700 Riders

n24: Currently at 5'400 Riders

n31/32: This one is tricky because combined it's at 6000 riders. Under LIB, the data showed the n31's ridership lower than the n32. 

n1: Down from 1900 to 1500 and up again to 1770 with peak hour trips.

Edited by NY1635