BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Late response here, but I feel this is one of those things they could've solved by giving Yukon some 3Gs (32 in this case) to be wrapped and Castleton some hybrids in exchange. Routes that run on highways just shouldn't run hybrids.

yup... or maybe just have the Orrin Vs do the s79... because castleton has two routes that run on the bridge too... but at the same time Yukon has the s89.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should see me on the local bus, never touch the poles ever. What's even funnier is how I manage to stay steady.

You must be riding some empty buses in order to get away with doing this on the regular.... Either that, or riding routes where people aren't hostile & attitudinal....

That stuff skeeves me out just as much. I never use hand sanitizer because it supposedly just makes things worse.  

The best solution is HOT water and soap and a good soap-up and rinse.

- I remember back in the latter part of the 90's, muggs were getting rashes from using hand sanitzer... Granted, these were hand sanitizers that were in public restrooms, but still.... Not that I used to before the fact, but ever since then, I've been that much more reluctant to using the things......

- Every day I come home from somewhere where I've been away from home for hours, I wash my hands this way... Good ole fashioned soap and damn near scalding water.... If I'm makin a quick run to the store, or otherwise goin out & comin right back, I use wet wipes.....

You must be riding some empty buses in order to get away with doing this on the regular.... Either that, or riding routes where people aren't hostile & attitudinal....

- I remember back in the latter part of the 90's, muggs were getting rashes from using hand sanitzer... Granted, these were hand sanitizers that were in public restrooms, but still.... Not that I used to before the fact, but ever since then, I've been that much more reluctant to using the things......

- Every day I come home from somewhere where I've been away from home for hours, I wash my hands this way... Good ole fashioned soap and damn near scalding water.... If I'm makin a quick run to the store, or otherwise goin out & comin right back, I use wet wipes.....

Q38 and Q88. Ironic enough?

yup... or maybe just have the Orrin Vs do the s79... because castleton has two routes that run on the bridge too... but at the same time Yukon has the s89.

Are 58 3Gs enough to cover the S53/93 during rush hour peak? Even with 90 of them there, Orion Vs still show up on those routes. I'd do the 58/32 split and keep the 79 and 53 all 3G, with as many as possible on the 93. Freshest buses out there, better to have them on the routes where they can open up on the bridge.

Are 58 3Gs enough to cover the S53/93 during rush hour peak? Even with 90 of them there, Orion Vs still show up on those routes. I'd do the 58/32 split and keep the 79 and 53 all 3G, with as many as possible on the 93. Freshest buses out there, better to have them on the routes where they can open up on the bridge.

At the same time, why send those buses out to the S79 anyway? The Select makes only 22 stops compared to the S53 and it gets some serious pedal-to-the-metal action along Hylan. Not all of the NGs share the same issues. Some go up the bridge just fine while others have their issues, after all, it is Yukon.

Edited by Cait Sith

A lot of interesting short turns today....M5s to Chambers Street and the village, x10s to S.I College, M4s to 42nd, M42s to Grand Central..... Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 4

I saw the southbound M5s to Chambers last week, they were all MHV runs too with normal run numbers so I didn't think much of them since I only really know the M5 down here in the Financial District, I thought they might have always done those short turns.

I saw the southbound M5s to Chambers last week, they were all MHV runs too with normal run numbers so I didn't think much of them since I only really know the M5 down here in the Financial District, I thought they might have always done those short turns.

Not at all, this is pretty new to say the least. There were an unusually high amount of short turns today. The most typical of short turns is the 9th Street short turns.

Edited by Cait Sith

Yeah 58 is enough... even though they run frequently the buses stay on the road... they barely go to vendors or out of service for long times

or maybe take the hybrids out the island and send them to Manhattan... that might happen... cause there's only about 32-20-25 no more than 77 hybrids out there...

Yeah 58 is enough... even though they run frequently the buses stay on the road... they barely go to vendors or out of service for long times

or maybe take the hybrids out the island and send them to Manhattan... that might happen... cause there's only about 32-20-25 no more than 77 hybrids out there...

No can do....fleet age discrepancy.

Why does that matter so much??

I mean they didn't care when UP was 100% RTS... or MHV is all 2006-2009 hybrids..

It's not about the fleet itself, its the years of the fleet.

Mannyville has hybrids from 2003/2004 to 2008. UP had RTSs from 1993-1994, 1996, 1997 and 1998, then you factor in the MCIs from 1999 to 2002 with the 2007 CLs. The units within the fleet pared up makes the fleet age either young or old, there has to be a certain balance. When you look at UP's fleet at the time, it wasn't too new.

Edited by Cait Sith

Not at all, this is pretty new to say the least. There were an unusually high amount of short turns today. The most typical of short turns is the 9th Street short turns.

Which is actually a pretty antiquated short turn, cause the majority of 9th St-signed M5s you see actually go down 8th and head to Astor to become an M1/2/3. Thing is, there's no code for M5 to 8th. The sign really only got used up until the Doomsday cuts, when southbound buses would hook a right on 9th instead of Houston and head right up 6th. Real nostalgia, I remember riding 9221 when it was still an Mannyville trooper on an M5 to 9th, great trip some years back. 

I wonder what will happen to the ones on the C40LF's because QV's LFS's have them removed as well. I didn't really care for the new straps because they were not solid and everytime a bus had to make a stop and even worst if the bus has to stop short you still move a lot and it hurts your wrist. I hope they go back to the metal ones and what is up with yellow interior poles like people can't see where the poles at.

I wonder what will happen to the ones on the C40LF's because QV's LFS's have them removed as well. I didn't really care for the new straps because they were not solid and everytime a bus had to make a stop and even worst if the bus has to stop short you still move a lot and it hurts your wrist. I hope they go back to the metal ones and what is up with yellow interior poles like people can't see where the poles at.

Get used to it. The straps you're referring to are standard New Flyer additions to the bus. Same with the yellow poles, although I do believe the steel stanchions are available upon request.

Why does that matter so much??

I mean they didn't care when UP was 100% RTS... or MHV is all 2006-2009 hybrids..

It matters because they look at the fleet of the depot overall.  Ulmer Park also has express buses so they combine the age of the local fleet AND the express bus fleet and that's how they get the average age of the fleet for the depot.  At least that's my understanding.  

Um some people are vision impaired so yes some people may have difficultly seeing them.  Not everyone is able bodied.  Plenty of disabled people use the bus so they are yellow so that they can be seen.  I doubt they'll go back to the old metal ones because the straps are cheaper to manufacture.

lol... The thing is some people use too much of that stuff and it isn't good. It's not a substitute for hand washing.  The idea is to use it when there are not other options around.

I practice handwashing constantly.  I will wash my hands before and after I use the bathroom at times just because I've become accustomed to doing that.