BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

lol... The thing is some people use too much of that stuff and it isn't good. It's not a substitute for hand washing. The idea is to use it when there are not other options around.

I practice handwashing constantly. I will wash my hands before and after I use the bathroom at times just because I've become accustomed to doing that.

Damn and I thought I was bad... in all seriousness I always use alot of hand sanitizer because I think it will kill all the germs. 1 squirt only kills 99% so I think that two would make more than 100%...

but of course if I have the option to wash my hands I would wash my hands... but I hate when I'm washing my hands and the water is so close to the wall your hand is touching it...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn and I thought I was bad... in all seriousness I always use alot of hand sanitizer because I think it will kill all the germs. 1 squirt only kills 99% so I think that two would make more than 100%...

but of course if I have the option to wash my hands I would wash my hands... but I hate when I'm washing my hands and the water is so close to the wall your hand is touching it...

If anything you'll end up with a rash or something if you use it too much as a substitute to washing your hands because it kills off bacteria that is actually good for the body. A good analogy I like to use is having cancer and having good cells and bad cells in your body and using chemotherapy to kill off all of the cells, including the good ones.  What I do when washing my hands outside in the public is if the sink isn't one of those automatic ones, I will wash my hands, then dry them with a paper towel and get additional paper towels to turn off the sink, this way I don't recontaminate myself.  I may sound paranoid, but I see far too many people in the bathroom doing all sorts of things and not washing their hands and I've had a stomach virus twice now so I don't take any chances.

On the express buses, I feel a bit more at ease because those tend to be kept clean, but I still immediately wash my hands when I get home just in case.  Same thing when I'm on MetroNorth.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm glad you take your health seriously.

You have to, especially these days.  Too many opportunities for you to get sick.  I get sick maybe once a year if that and that's usually because of the women in my office... Always sniffling and bringing their colds that they get from the subways or whatever into the office.  <_<

You have to, especially these days. Too many opportunities for you to get sick. I get sick maybe once a year if that and that's usually because of the women in my office... Always sniffling and bringing their colds that they get from the subways or whatever into the office. <_<

Agreed 110%. But it's funny because I rarely get sick and if I do, it's from climate changes.

Agreed 110%. But it's funny because I rarely get sick and if I do, it's from climate changes.

Yeah that can be a problem too but the one way to know if it's due to that is to sit on an express bus for a trip and see how many people are hacking and coughing and sneezing.  That's when I know I'm in trouble.  <_<

If anything you'll end up with a rash or something if you use it too much as a substitute to washing your hands because it kills off bacteria that is actually good for the body. A good analogy I like to use is having cancer and having good cells and bad cells in your body and using chemotherapy to kill off all of the cells, including the good ones.  What I do when washing my hands outside in the public is if the sink isn't one of those automatic ones, I will wash my hands, then dry them with a paper towel and get additional paper towels to turn off the sink, this way I don't recontaminate myself.  I may sound paranoid, but I see far too many people in the bathroom doing all sorts of things and not washing their hands and I've had a stomach virus twice now so I don't take any chances.

On the express buses, I feel a bit more at ease because those tend to be kept clean, but I still immediately wash my hands when I get home just in case.  Same thing when I'm on MetroNorth.  

Don't get me started on bathroom ethics. Almost all men tend to use the urinals, not the stalls that have toilet paper. To put it bluntly, that means that they don't clean their dick. And a lot of them don't clean their hands, meaning they tend to have dry urine on their hands. Ugh.

Don't get me started on bathroom ethics. Almost all men tend to use the urinals, not the stalls that have toilet paper. To put it bluntly, that means that they don't clean their dick. And a lot of them don't clean their hands, meaning they tend to have dry urine on their hands. Ugh.

Well that was pretty graphic... Thank God I ate my lunch already.  <_< The one thing that always weirded me out was being on a coach bus like a PeterPan or something. I always notice that when I'm on one of those buses that have a bathroom, I can't stop going to the can.  It's incredible.  It's especially annoying since they don't have sinks to wash your hands.  It could be because I'm usually going to and coming from some place (i.e. metal concert) smashed out of my skull.  :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Um some people are vision impaired so yes some people may have difficultly seeing them. Not everyone is able bodied. Plenty of disabled people use the bus so they are yellow so that they can be seen. I doubt they'll go back to the old metal ones because the straps are cheaper to manufacture.

The metal ones were strong and offered more support at least when the bus stops you don't move all over the place.

4889 with its long ass pull cords... it sounds good too

Yeah, those axles weren't so loud so the sounds of the ISL-Allison combo reminded me of good times in Florida with Palm Tran's 2012 Gilligs... Shame we won't be seeing Meritor axles on transit buses with the MTA anymore unless MTS gets in.