BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that is possible. I know sometimes a Q60 that terminates at Jamaica Archer Ave sometimes turns in the Q6 and runs down to JFK and back to the depot. However that rarely happens due to the Q60 always being late and bunching in fours.

That's irrelevant. It still happens.

If I recall correctly, and it will take an older member to substantiate it (or someone with the appropriate map), I seem to remember taking an M72 that traversed Central Park via Terrace Drive for an exit at West 72nd when I was a wee lad in the late 70's/early 80's.

The best I can find to confirm that, or show I'm finally losing it, is the '74 and '76 maps, which show no such route. However, it might have been a bit later when the trip(s) happened. Of course, it might be sticking in my mind that it was an obvious deviation from the normal route...but then again, I know my mom didn't drag me over to the west side too often either (Oh, it's much improved since those days).

Anyhow, it was a nagging local mystery (of my own), and no, I'm not mixing it up with the M79. :)

Q64 7- 9 AM rush, I definitely can see a brand new XD60 being thrown on that line one day during that time. The regular Q64 and the short turned on by the time it reached Main Street were both crush loaded and a third bus that was about 3 minutes behind that was crush loaded too. I always wondered if the MTA ever considered throwing some artics on the Q64 during the rush hours when BP receives them.

I have a question. What was the original reasoning for putting the bus #'s on the roof? Someone told me it was so if a bus ever got hijacked or something, the police would be able to spot and follow it easily via helicopter. Is this true?

I highly doubt that's the reason. Probably just a lasting practice from yard sorting and multi-level depots or areas with overhangs for dispatching.

BusTime has quite the glitches. Previously, it said 2291 was on the Q76. Now, it says 2788 is on the Q28. Not to mention the app is horrible after iOS 9. 

EDIT: It is actually showing 2788 running the route, in service. Pretty sure that's not actually happening though. 

EDIT #2: The service gap on the line seems pretty normal, including 2788. Without 2788, than the service gap would be pretty big. 

EDIT #3: So I gave someone a call who happened to be riding the Q28, #4218. He did tell me that he saw a bus pass in the other direction, which happened to correspond with the location of 2788. My guess is that it is either a GPS screw up that displayed the wrong number, or, in a 1/500 chance, 2788 might actually be on the Q28...

Edited by R188 7857

I have a question. What was the original reasoning for putting the bus #'s on the roof? Someone told me it was so if a bus ever got hijacked or something, the police would be able to spot and follow it easily via helicopter. Is this true?

That's what I was told by NYPD back in the day. It was also the reason why the US Postal Service and other commercial carriers instituted the practice back then. Drive on elevated roadways around the country and you'll see how widespread the practice is today. That's my observation anyway. Carry on.

Things I have noticed, seen, or have questions about recently:

• XD40's on CS routes suck 
  • any time I get on an CS XD40 its always crowded and feels like it has less standing space
  • I have never seen air assist work on any of the city's XD40 untill I rode a CS XD40
  • I miss those tapes to request stops, by the roof on the OV's 
  • Why are there so many shorties on the Q44 recently, like more than normal?
  • CS won the 2015 bus roadeo as stated by the huge banner in front of the depot when i pass by on the <7>
  • Bus drivers have gotten a lot ruder recently ever since school started this year (excluding express buses)
  • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205055098525674&set=gm.900750049994868&type=3&theater
  • Someone on the Transit photos and videos in FB group caught another VII on the QM15
  • There is no bus bullets for Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island routes on the forums 

That is all 

• any time I get on an CS XD40 its always crowded and feels like it has less standing space
  • I have never seen air assist work on any of the city's XD40 untill I rode a CS XD40
  • CS won the 2015 bus roadeo as stated by the huge banner in front of the depot when i pass by on the <7>
  • Bus drivers have gotten a lot ruder recently ever since school started this year (excluding express buses)
  • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205055098525674&set=gm.900750049994868&type=3&theater
  • Someone on the Transit photos and videos in FB group caught another VII on the QM15
  • There is no bus bullets for Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island routes on the forums 

That is all 

Pretty normal now. It's been happening for years, so it's nothing new. However, try catching one on the QM16 or QM17. That also happens, but that is pretty rare, because they'll usually place such buses on the QM15. I'm actually expecting to see more Hybrids in the winter.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

clearly MTAB would benefit by adding the QM21 to Far Rockaway and tapping into few buses in the prevost order like 3 or 4 and some more for spring creek and CP too to replace those old MCI that are still there 

Edited by IAlam

clearly MTAB would benefit by adding the QM21 to Far Rockaway and tapping into few buses in the prevost order like 3 or 4 and some more for spring creek and CP too to replace those old MCI that are still there 

What benefit is there in having the QM21 at FR? DH would be much longer, which only increases operating costs. I mean, it's similar to having the B100 at FR, which IIRC did happen for a while after takeover (on Sundays). I would rather keep it at BP, it's much cheaper to operate it from. Also, the old MCI's aren't used much at CP and SC. Those buses would most likely be retired without replacement, or they'll switch around some routes to maximize the fleet.

Replies in red...

• Depends on what time of day you ride them.
  • The 46xx NG's that are at CS have a problem, where I touch the tape yet the door doesn't open. It worked for the first time today on 4679, however. 
  • They're usually only on the Q44 at night, or at mid-day/rush hour where school and more demands require buses. Normally you only see 1 or 2. 
  • Yup, got a picture of the big banner about a few days ago. It said "Home of the 2015 MTA Bus Roadeo winner"

That is all 

Speaking about the Q44, bus bunching is also a problem, and so is traffic and boarding time. Riding the Q44 in the morning really is a pain in the ass. They've re-paved Main Street from Elder Av to Kissena Blvd. Looks like the new roads will be painted w/ bus lanes. 

Replies in red...

Speaking about the Q44, bus bunching is also a problem, and so is traffic and boarding time. Riding the Q44 in the morning really is a pain in the ass. They've re-paved Main Street from Elder Av to Kissena Blvd. Looks like the new roads will be painted w/ bus lanes.

The Q44 can suffer from huge gaps between buses. Then you can literally see 4 buses bunched at once. People on Main Street seem to skip the Q20 and rather take the Q44 just because the buses are longer and it is limited. However drivers can tell you that the Q44 takes just as long sometimes even longer than the Q20. I know I mostly take the Q20 because I can usually get a seat. When the Q44 used to be standards the Q20 used to be crowded just as much as the Q44 was.

1. In a past thread there was a discussion about the possibility of Bx5 Bay Plaza service becoming full time. I have to say that at the moment that there is a case to made for such full time service. The last time I was at Pelham Bay I saw a crowd of at least 50 people waiting for eastbound Bx12 SBS service. With a crowd that large there was definitely a wide gap that needed to be closed meaning when the bus finally came it was a sardine can that didn't have room for 50 waiting passengers. When the bus leaves there happens to be a good 10 passengers still waiting there given that there wasn't a bus bunch which usually follows wide gaps. Instead of those people who already had to let a bus pass waiting for another crowded bus to show up, they could have had been picked up by a less crowded Bx5 to get to Bay Plaza. The Bx5 running to Bay Plaza on weekdays would be helpful for crowds that are inconvenienced by the Bx12. 

2. The Bx31 was acting up a little this afternoon. How is it that at slightly after noon with minimal traffic on Eastchester Road you have Bx31 buses (which have a 12 minute headway at the time) running bunched heading south?

1. In a past thread there was a discussion about the possibility of Bx5 Bay Plaza service becoming full time. I have to say that at the moment that there is a case to made for such full time service. The last time I was at Pelham Bay I saw a crowd of at least 50 people waiting for eastbound Bx12 SBS service. With a crowd that large there was definitely a wide gap that needed to be closed meaning when the bus finally came it was a sardine can that didn't have room for 50 waiting passengers. When the bus leaves there happens to be a good 10 passengers still waiting there given that there wasn't a bus bunch which usually follows wide gaps. Instead of those people who already had to let a bus pass waiting for another crowded bus to show up, they could have had been picked up by a less crowded Bx5 to get to Bay Plaza. The Bx5 running to Bay Plaza on weekdays would be helpful for crowds that are inconvenienced by the Bx12.

I've had to deal with a crazy gap like that down the line to the point where I'd take a local to Pelham Bay twice, but both times the situation was rectified by a dispatcher on scene at the Pelham Bay end:

-The first time, an empty SBS met the local I was on and took people to Bay Plaza.

-The second time, the dispatcher cherry picked the last bus in a series of 3 bunched Orchard Beach bound local Bx12 buses and rerouted it to Bay Plaza as an SBS. Turned out the B/O of that particular bus was on his last trip.

It sometimes gets to the point where coming out of the mall I just take the 23 or 29 to Pelham Bay and get an SBS or a local 12 there; they seem to deadhead half the SBS buses there in the afternoons (especially Fridays)

Edited by paulrivera