BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

One route that has been getting a lot of complaints about overcrowding is the B36. I've heard that hundreds of riders end up walking to the subway after being flagged by buses on this route. Is there anyone that can speak to whether such has been consistent over many years or whether things are getting worse now? Also, what would be wrong with increasing service in light of such events?

Usually, on rush hours, the B36 would have like 4-5 buses behind either direction. Even sometimes on the weekends, the 36 can be crowded with one direction more than 15 minutes but on the opposite, with 2-3 back to back.

Also, getting off the subway, it (the bus) waits until it's fully pack

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One route that has been getting a lot of complaints about overcrowding is the B36. I've heard that hundreds of riders end up walking to the subway after being flagged by buses on this route. Is there anyone that can speak to whether such has been consistent over many years or whether things are getting worse now? Also, what would be wrong with increasing service in light of such events?

I can't see things getting any worse, because as was said, the B36 has had that very problem for the longest..... See, service is VERY inconsistent on the B36; I am convinced b/o's are told to crawl the line.... This eventually leads to unnecessary bunching, and with the demand for service to/from Sheepshead Bay subway, it leads to overcrowding...... The B36 is not one of these routes that if it ran uniformly (meaning, no bunching), the majority of trips throughout the day would be overcrowded (you can judge that by the ~ ridership stats alone).....

There have been a few suggestions I remember seeing (not just on here, but other places as well).....

Some have suggested running B44's to the subway... There's the suggestion of running shuttles, as already stated.... There's the suggestion of extending the route to the junction (B36 Sea Gate - Flatbush av (2)(5)).... There's the suggestion of splitting the route at sheepshead subway & extending the route to the junction (B36 Sea Gate - Sheepshead subway & B36a (or w/e) Sheepshead subway - Flatbush av (2)(5))..... There's also the kings plaza extension suggestion, but that has nothing to do addressing any problems with B36  service; that's all about service to a new market.....

As far as a boost in service, the problem with that is once you get to surf/stillwell, there's no need for it.... Like 90% of those coming off at Stillwell all gun for the 74..... Which is why it kills me when you get people talking about combine the B74 with *insert another route that ends at mermaid bus loop*..... Short turning B36's at Surf/Stillwell isn't plausible.....

I hate to even blurt this out, but maybe the B36 route itself.... is the problem.

When does the first Q44 SBS depart from Jamaica and Bronx Park South?

Jamaica's first bus left at 12:05, and the one from B.P. south left at 12:09, but technically, SBS is pretty much running now on all stops. The Q44 is starting to open all doors and the machines are accepting metrocards now. And I was just at Castle Hill on the Bronx side.

All I know is that on BusTime all Q44 buses are showing up as Select buses.

They are Select Bus vehicles, but don't have the code on just yet. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Why do the B82 need SBS when the 15 still needs a limited

Calm down...

The B15 might get artics when ENY gets them... but I figure that if the route were to have limited service, the local trips would end at the Postal Facility and the limiteds at JFK. Plus it's easier to make the B82 SBS since the B82 has limited service already.

On another note, I checked out the Q44 SBS today... unlike the other SBS routes, the destination and the "via Main St" signs are also blue.

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Bustime and seeing it 8n person are 2 different things. By midnight, EVERY Q44 on bustime was shown as an SBS, but buses were still "local". Buses are with the code now though.

Oh, they were still running local at the time, but they showed up on BusTime as SBSs? Ah that's interesting... Thanks!

Should the MTA rename local inter-boro routes (like the private buses used to have) just so that the general public knows they run between two boroughs? The buses could have a separate numbering system starting from 1 and up or can be transposed (BX12 can become BxM12)

QBX1 (exQ44)

QBX2 (exQ50)

BxM1

BxM2

MB1 (instead of BM for PC purposes)

MB2

SB1(SB instead of BS for PC purposes) (ex S79)

etc

Also, theoretically (ignoring the PC notes above) the prefixes can be swapped with first letter(s) belonging to the borough containing the longest portion of the route.

Should the MTA rename local inter-boro routes (like the private buses used to have) just so that the general public knows they run between two boroughs? The buses could have a separate numbering system starting from 1 and up or can be transposed (BX12 can become BxM12)

QBX1 (exQ44)

QBX2 (exQ50)

BxM1

BxM2

MB1 (instead of BM for PC purposes)

MB2

SB1(SB instead of BS for PC purposes) (ex S79)

etc

Also, theoretically (ignoring the PC notes above) the prefixes can be swapped with first letter(s) belonging to the borough containing the longest portion of the route.

Sounds like a way for people to be more confused than what they already are. What about the lines that leave city limits?

I took the Q44 SBS and it is a bit faster for both the Q20 and Q44 in Flushing. However it doesn't beat the Q20 in terms of getting anywhere faster because the Q20 is always near the Q44.

I got on the Q44 at 73rd Ave and they have people telling folks what SBS is all about and the guy asked me do I know how it works and I said yes and explained. Lol he was a bit shocked I knew so much. Anyways the Q20B arrived first and shortly afterwards the Q44. It is definitely faster boarding but at Main Street and 39th the Q20B was right behind so it really didn't make a difference what I took.

I took the Q44 SBS and it is a bit faster for both the Q20 and Q44 in Flushing. However it doesn't beat the Q20 in terms of getting anywhere faster because the Q20 is always near the Q44.

I got on the Q44 at 73rd Ave and they have people telling folks what SBS is all about and the guy asked me do I know how it works and I said yes and explained. Lol he was a bit shocked I knew so much. Anyways the Q20B arrived first and shortly afterwards the Q44. It is definitely faster boarding but at Main Street and 39th the Q20B was right behind so it really didn't make a difference what I took.

I don't use the local buses in Whitestone often when shopping over there because I usually just walk to and from the QM2, but when I do see the Q20, Q44 and Q76, I get the impression that only those people who are going to College Point take the Q20 variations to avoid transferring from the Q44, so I can see why it could be a fast ride.  What's interesting is while waiting for the QM2, I notice that people are dropped off for the Q44 as if it's a commuter bus. lol I rarely saw that on Staten Island. Usually people were dropped off for the express bus, so it would make sense then that for the Q44 it will get the bulk of the riders since they get on at main stops for the most part, at least in Whitestone anyway.

The Q44 SBS was quite bad when I took it today. People wouldn't move away from those back doors, and my bus got delayed to the point where when I got off, 3 buses came up behind it. Then, the Q44 was full and didn't have space left for me when I was coming back. The Q20 driver didn't seem to want to accept the receipt, but I went anyways because I wasn't gonna wait for the next Q44. There was a lady at the bus stop saying that it should be OK for this time since she was telling everyone to pay at the machine (she was guiding the people). The Q20 I took ended up beating the SBS Q44 to Flushing.

If there's one thing I say they did wrong, it would be the curbside bus lanes. Seriously, 4PM to 7PM? Traffic starts getting heavy after Elder at around 3. 

Edited by R188 7857

I don't use the local buses in Whitestone often when shopping over there because I usually just walk to and from the QM2, but when I do see the Q20, Q44 and Q76, I get the impression that only those people who are going to College Point take the Q20 variations to avoid transferring from the Q44, so I can see why it could be a fast ride.  What's interesting is while waiting for the QM2, I notice that people are dropped off for the Q44 as if it's a commuter bus. lol I rarely saw that on Staten Island. Usually people were dropped off for the express bus, so it would make sense then that for the Q44 it will get the bulk of the riders since they get on at main stops for the most part, at least in Whitestone anyway.

Also Q44 stops are on average about 10 blocks apart people like me who live smack in the middle don't want to walk to the Q44 stop

The Updated Queens bus map is up:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns_new.pdf

Q20A/B now red, Q44 now blue, enlarged LIC inset

Awesome

Also another thing I saw that the MTA removed most of the Q44 trippers from john brown we I was going home today I only saw one but 1. Instead saw a lot of shorty Q20 buses to main st. Which surprised me more cause I don't think CS even has enough buses maybe in the future, they have artics making the Q20 run or put the Q44 back 

Also another thing I saw that the MTA removed most of the Q44 trippers from john brown we I was going home today I only saw one but 1. Instead saw a lot of shorty Q20 buses to main st. Which surprised me more cause I don't think CS even has enough buses maybe in the future, they have artics making the Q20 run or put the Q44 back 

Not sure about the artics, but anything's possible with the MTA.