BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word...Somehow they manage to get to school by 7:20AM,meanwhile I live 12-15 minutes away(walking-If I take the bus I have to take three-The B64 up to 5th Av,B63 to 86,then B16 back down-easily 45 min to an hour) and get there 5-10 minutes late (especially during sophomore year-the first time I had a 1-8,now my body's used to getting up at 5:45AM)

Good God... Seems like it would be easier to just back track and take the B4 to the B16 or the B64 and walk the rest of the way down.  Before you say it's far, I've done it along Shore Rd... Take the B4 over to Narrows, then walked to Shore Rd, but in the summer I like to take a stroll down Shore Rd, so if a X27 isn't due for a while then I'll walk down into the 80's.  I like walking in the 70's anyway for those expensive homes that are nicely tucked away.  lol

Good God... Seems like it would be easier to just back track and take the B4 to the B16 or the B64 and walk the rest of the way down.  Before you say it's far, I've done it along Shore Rd... Take the B4 over to Narrows, then walked to Shore Rd, but in the summer I like to take a stroll down Shore Rd, so if a X27 isn't due for a while then I'll walk down into the 80's.  I like walking in the 70's anyway for those expensive homes that are nicely tucked away.  lol

Yeah I just walk.

If its raining or snowing I'll take one of the school specials up to 4th,get the (R) and walk from Bay Ridge Avenue

409 has been involved in a head-on accident with another bus. Bus-on-bus incident. Damage to 409 is repairable. Details to come.

Which route?That's a Jackie Gleason bus right?

Yeah I just walk.

If its raining or snowing I'll take one of the school specials up to 4th,get the (R) and walk from Bay Ridge Avenue

Which route?That's a Jackie Gleason bus right?

Yup, on the B35.

I have a photo. But I'm not gonna put it up, as I'm respecting the wishes of my sources.

Edited by Cait Sith

With the recent terrorist attacks on Paris, should be carful while busspotting this weekend?

Don't give in -- that's what they count on.

Be afraid, they'll take advantage of your weakness.

Penn Jillette says it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgbWkeHxq0

Every 3 digit unit is a C40LF at this moment (185-672).

Worked more on my picture today.

20151113_090930_zpsbjp9b6yu.jpg

Good job!

Now, to be really "authentic", you need a "Next Bus Please" on the sign. ;)

Edited by DetSMART45

That moment when an already packed SBS Bx12 you're on ends up short turning at Pelham Bay because it's late...

SBS 12 short turns heading to Bay Plaza should be banned; do these dispatchers not know how busy Bay Plaza is? I guess not since the dispatchers are either on Bustrek or at Pelham Bay.

You seem pretty vocal about the Bx12 SBS on here so I want to ask what is your mind is the most glaring issue with the route? Would it be speed, crowding, reliability, something I can't think of? I'm curious because if you haven't figured this out i'm also an avid user of the route and I would like to figure out if i'm some oddball who thinks the buses run speedy enough and that the impact of Fordham Road traffic is overblown. 

You seem pretty vocal about the Bx12 SBS on here so I want to ask what is your mind is the most glaring issue with the route? Would it be speed, crowding, reliability, something I can't think of? I'm curious because if you haven't figured this out i'm also an avid user of the route and I would like to figure out if i'm some oddball who thinks the buses run speedy enough and that the impact of Fordham Road traffic is overblown. 

1. Crowding.

2. Reliability.

3. More crowding.

The Fordham traffic is bad but not any worse than traffic in Midtown. The thing with the Bx12 is that unlike the M15 and M34, the Bx12 is highly utilized from end-to-end (I've seen literally 40 people each board at both Inwood stops and groups of 30-50 board at the Mall stop at Bay Plaza) and I don't even know where all these people come from TBH.

The speeds are decent (they can be faster but this is a general problem with buses in NYC) but I think its highly erratic ridership, and the dispatching methods during a delay that might work on an M15 (where you can turn a Ferry bus at Houston or an East Harlem bus at 96th and it's no big deal) just don't work on the Bx12.

They don't understand that turning a mall-bound bus at Pelham or an Inwood-bound bus at Sedgwick or sending light buses from a terminal to midroute just doesn't work for the customer (or the 2nd driver after the driver that gets turned around that now has to do the full route and return with a crush loaded bus.)

CS rips off advertisements and uses them as tape on some of their buses. I've seen the ads on the outside ripped and the ripped part would be taping over something shut, but I have yet to see them used on the inside. Is there any other depot that does that?

Damn near all of them

CS rips off advertisements and uses them as tape on some of their buses. I've seen the ads on the outside ripped and the ripped part would be taping over something shut, but I have yet to see them used on the inside. Is there any other depot that does that? 

Pretty ingenious, but still sloppy nonetheless.  Surprised none of the DDOT mechanics thought of that when you could count on seeing at least one of their RTSes with the engine door significantly ajar.

Pretty ingenious, but still sloppy nonetheless.  Surprised none of the DDOT mechanics thought of that when you could count on seeing at least one of their RTSes with the engine door significantly ajar.

Some of the 96's are like that (the bottom panel under the AC slightly slanted outward) I always remember that from my childhood...

I've been seeing lots of repainted LFS on the Bx41 SBS recently. If 5808 got the new SBS coding and signs, what makes the KB units any different from seeing these signs as well? I think every LFS should be equipped with the luminator signs (or whatever sign made the LFSA flash blue) and not just the SBS units. I would say do that to the 2012 XD60s too, but the transition from sign to sign takes a lot longer than most signs found on other buses (5 secs as opposed to 2 secs)

Edited by MysteriousBtrain