• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I seen a B46 local signed up to Flushing Ave, I'd assume that's a short turn.

Also rode one of those SBS XD40s with the display screen and automated announcements, at Eastern Parkway it announced all four IRT lines that run in BK rather than only the (3) & (4). I love the trivia questions on the display  :D  I didn't know the first A/C bus in NYC came in 1956..

On the B103 bus I rode there was a whole bunch of BM1 schedules on the bus, with technology being what it is I wonder how many people actually still use paper bus schedules? I wonder if the TA ever considered doing away with paper bus schedules to save money.

I also wonder why SC employees would put BM1 schedules on the C40s rather than the MCI's  :lol:

Edited by trainfan22

On the B103 bus I rode there was a whole bunch of BM1 schedules on the bus, with technology being what it is I wonder how many people actually still use paper bus schedules? I wonder if the TA ever considered doing away with paper bus schedules to save money.

I also wonder why SC employees would put BM1 schedules on the C40s rather than the MCI's  :lol:

One time I saw subway maps on a Bx23/Q50, so who knows really...

I would rather the headways get posted in lieu of a schedule at bus stops for mid and high frequency routes. We already see this on the SBS routes.

Unless the route is super-frequent (like every 5 minutes or less) I would actually rather stick with an actual schedule. At least you would have an idea of when the bus is supposed to arrive (e.g. On the :10s, :20s, :30s vs. the :15s, :25s, :35s vs. the :18s, :28s, :38s) and if it's reliable you can time yourself for the bus.

Unless the route is super-frequent (like every 5 minutes or less) I would actually rather stick with an actual schedule. At least you would have an idea of when the bus is supposed to arrive (e.g. On the :10s, :20s, :30s vs. the :15s, :25s, :35s vs. the :18s, :28s, :38s) and if it's reliable you can time yourself for the bus.

In a bus system where buses are either struggling to keep with the schedule or are outright disregarding the schedule the headways are more useful to know because then I can estimate the chances that a bus will arrive within a few minutes of me appearing at the stop. 

In a bus system where buses are either struggling to keep with the schedule or are outright disregarding the schedule the headways are more useful to know because then I can estimate the chances that a bus will arrive within a few minutes of me appearing at the stop. 

Or just take the difference in times that's posted on the schedule. If the schedule says buses arrive on the :00s, :10s, :20s, :30s, :40s, and :50s, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the bus is scheduled to arrive every 10 minutes. 

How do you distinguish between a bus that arrives every 10 minutes consistently, and one that basically comes whenever it wants? For example:

Route A:

:00, :10, :20, :30, :40, :50

Route B:

:03, :11, :25, :37, :40, :52

Route C:

:08, :29, :35, :37, :56, :59

Route D:

:00, :25, :26, :28, :49, :53

All of those are scheduled for 6 buses per hour, but there's a big difference in the reliability of all 4 routes. 

Or just take the difference in times that's posted on the schedule. If the schedule says buses arrive on the :00s, :10s, :20s, :30s, :40s, and :50s, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the bus is scheduled to arrive every 10 minutes. 

How do you distinguish between a bus that arrives every 10 minutes consistently, and one that basically comes whenever it wants? For example:

Route A:

Route B:

Route C:

Route D:

All of those are scheduled for 6 buses per hour, but there's a big difference in the reliability of all 4 routes. 

If most routes in the system are performing like your C and D scenario how the schedule is written is the least of your problems.  In your B scenario there's no wait above 14 minutes and the only people experiencing that are those who just miss the :11. In other words nearly every rider will have a wait equal to or less than the headway despite the fact that the buses did not show up like clockwork. Telling riders of route B that every bus arrives on the threes (assuming the first showed up exactly on time) allows riders to perceive it's OTP as worse than it is in realty and suckers riders who timed the :13 into a 12 minute wait (assuming the :13 showed up 2 minutes early as the :11 thus screwing riders around). If you just say 'every 10 minutes' riders will randomly arrive at stops expecting short waits so some of those who would have timed the :13 and missed it on route B may have shown up earlier at the bus stop and caught it thus saving the wait. Less riders get screwed when spacing between buses is communicated and individual bus timings are left ambiguous. I think that's why SBS schedules are headway based.

Route A:

Route B:

Route C:

Route D:

Good information design doesn't require mental math. Any headways of 10 minutes or less should be posted as such.

So I'm on the B6 right now and it's one of them buses with the turning announcements. Don't get me wrong, it's a very excellent concept, but the announcements can be a little louder.

With NICE, the announcements are loud (amd bilingual lol), but the MTA ones aren't loud enough. You can't hear it unless it's too late. Now of it was somewhat louder, then it'll be perfect.

So I'm on the B6 right now and it's one of them buses with the turning announcements. Don't get me wrong, it's a very excellent concept, but the announcements can be a little louder.

With NICE, the announcements are loud (amd bilingual lol), but the MTA ones aren't loud enough. You can't hear it unless it's too late. Now of it was somewhat louder, then it'll be perfect.

Hopefully they may bump the volume after some further evaluation gets done. Also fun fact NJT and King County Metro has the exact same turn warning announcements for their buses but they also have it in an English-Spanish bilingual setup.

In light of this, it made me think of if the MTA can pull it off for multiple languages dependent on an area a bus is in (e.g. Tagalog in Woodside, Haitian or Jamaican Patois in Flatbush/Crown Heights, Hebrew or Russian in Midwood, etc.)

How's the X1 ridership during the overnight hours?

The trips in carry at most 10 people. Coming out, it's a seared load depending on the day.

Depends... I would say they do more than 10 for some overnight trips.  I sometimes get one from New Dorp that carries a nice load.  Seems like a lot of folks transfer for the (A)(C) subway though. Going back to Staten Island you'll definitely get a nice load.  It's not like they added that many buses anyway, so the few that they did add don't suffer from a lack of usage per se. Once they really start up again you have guys in construction and other jobs that have to be in the city early.  In short, overnight service is here to stay unless there is a serious fiscal problem.  Population growth is happening across the island.  Young folks going to the city and staying there late to hangout... People no longer feel constrained to go to the city.  I used to remember having to cut bar hopping short.  Would get a taxi to get the last X1 and then get car service from there once on Hylan Blvd.  It has to be a nice feeling for residents to have an express bus 24/7.  The only thing they need to do is add more service to the city during the evening hours.  That one bus every hour is just ridiculous and they are often almost SRO.

@JW: No, what I was basing it off was that the buses were scheduled to arrive with Bus A's pattern (note that on Route D, I had the first bus also arrive at :00, and the :40 bus on Route B corresponds with the :40 bus on Route A).

So Routes B & C have no early buses. Route D has one early bus (the :28).

Route A is ideal performance. Route B is realistic and acceptable (the longest gap was 14 minutes, but at the same time, the latest bus was 7 minutes late, so if somebody timed themselves for that :30 bus, they only had a 7 minute additional wait). So the schedule didn't screw anybody over. I remember reading something that said that a good schedule had around 65% of buses running a little bit late (so that the quick drivers don't have to hold at timepoints, or if they come early, they at least don't come too early).

Realistically, what I do (for stops that I use often) is memorize the code, and text it to BusTime as I'm either walking or on a connecting bus/train. (So at the very least, I know if I have an extreme wait, I can take an alternate route, or maybe walk or wait inside if possible)