New Flyer C40LF Discussion

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ride the Bx17 and the Bx36 every day i been on those dam old RTS and alot of times they cant use the wheelchair lift because it broke or if they do use it cross your fungers smh, the stairs are so small you cant get on with a stroller, and one day a door fell off at westfarns sq, in service, it was so funny because the B/o was like wow this old POS they are going on 20 years if not more for some of them they need to go asap...

The oldest RTS is about 15 years old (16 if 8750 is still in service)...where do you get 20 from?

The oldest RTS is about 15 years old (16 if 8750 is still in service)...where do you get 20 from?
because they have some of them that where made in 93 that i saw running so thats almost 20 years and the ones made in 96 are the newest and thats over 15 years now so its almost 20 if you round it off, we are getting new buses here i was just mad we had all them old RTS coming back when just a year ago we had mostly CNG and artics and some of them 9000 from queens

because they have some of them that where made in 93 that i saw running so thats almost 20 years and the ones made in 96 are the newest and thats over 15 years now so its almost 20 if you round it off, we are getting new buses here i was just mad we had all them old RTS coming back when just a year ago we had mostly CNG and artics and some of them 9000 from queens

There have not been any 1993 RTS' in service for a coupe years now. CNG buses are on loan to Nassau. Thats why you have RTS' up there. Some of those CNG buses are worse off than the RTS', and it's only a temporary thing. All Orion V's and RTS' will be out of there soon. 54 brand new buses are going to West Farms. No need in complaining when the rest of the city has old buses. Just sit back and wait!:)

There have not been any 1993 RTS' in service for a coupe years now. CNG buses are on loan to Nassau. Thats why you have RTS' up there. Some of those CNG buses are worse off than the RTS', and it's only a temporary thing. All Orion V's and RTS' will be out of there soon. 54 brand new buses are going to West Farms. No need in complaining when the rest of the city has old buses. Just sit back and wait!:)
i heard they sent some out there some reason they did that but ok, i wasnt really mad i just mentioned it smh well yea i know the rest of the city have some old buses but we had only the CNGs and artics that was it for over 10 years almost, i hope we all get some new buses i see that they are.

i heard they sent some out there some reason they did that but ok, i wasnt really mad i just mentioned it smh well yea i know the rest of the city have some old buses but we had only the CNGs and artics that was it for over 10 years almost, i hope we all get some new buses i see that they are.

West Farms hasn't ever had only CNG's and artics. Diesels have been there forever. Mostly Orion V's.

like ENY said, those buses are long gone. The oldest bus in the entire RBO fleet is about 16 years old, and those are on their way out the door.

still dont see where you got 20 years old from

P.S the 1993 TMCs were retired before they reached 20 years old

West Farms hasn't ever had only CNG's and artics. Diesels have been there forever. Mostly Orion V's.
this is funny today as we went out for christmas shopping my brother a HP officer was on the Bx36 and he was on the RTS he got broken down and he texted me to say he was going to be late because of it now that was one bus than the one he got on was a CNG he past another RTS that was being worked on at 174th st smh than i was on one that had to be taken out of service when we got back from shopping because the front lift didnt work, smh this was a good day for them RTSs, what i dont understand is why did they take the newer CNGs to long island and give us them RTSs they should have gave them the RTSs and kept us with the CNGs and orion Vs

Because it wouldn't be much need to train the LIB drivers using O5 CNGs that they've been driving for years compared to having to learn how to drive the NF C40lfs.

And you lost me with that post, split up your sentences with punctuation marks. What broke down and what should be at WF?

what i said is them RTS are crap, today me my brother and wife went out for christmas shopping and he was riding a RTS he told me it broke down, that was one that went out than he told me went he got on another bus it was the CNG but he said he passed a broke down RTS that was being worked on. than later when we was done shopping we got on a RTS that broke down because the front lift was dead, what i had said was why did they give us the old RTS buses and gave them the CNGs? what i know is most drivers know the RTSs so why didnt they give them some RTSs and a little CNGs?

• 2 weeks later...

It bugs me that they drive these buses from wherever they build these buses at in the Midwest to NYC, bus has to log up hundreds of miles and has some wear and tear on it before it even runs in revenue service in NYC.

I heard some RTSs back in the day was delivered to the TA via flatbed truck.

IDK if they delivered them directly to the depots... would have been cool if the buses did their first runs with little to no miles on them.

@ the chirs09, 262 is a JG bus, IIRC 267 will be the first WF bus, WF batch is only four buses away! (Assuming they are building them in order)

It bugs me that they drive these buses from wherever they build these buses at in the Midwest to NYC, bus has to log up hundreds of miles and has some wear and tear on it before it even runs in revenue service in NYC.

IDK if they delivered them directly to the depots... would have been cool if the buses did their first runs with little to no miles on them.

@ the chirs09, 262 is a JG bus, IIRC 267 will be the first WF bus, WF batch is only four buses away! (Assuming they are building them in order)

IIRC, the only RTS' to be delivered by flatbed were the non-diesel, and hybrid buses. All the rest were either driven from Detroit or Roswell

IIRC, the only RTS' to be delivered by flatbed were the non-diesel, and hybrid buses. All the rest were either driven from Detroit or Roswell

Dman thats alot of miles to log on a new vehicle. Then again its going to eventuallty log on a number of miles afterwards

Dman thats alot of miles to log on a new vehicle. Then again its going to eventuallty log on a number of miles afterwards

About how many miles will buses like these log before they are retired?

Obviously driving them in is cheaper than putting them on a trailer, I wonder what the cost is of putting them on a trailer? Probably pretty high.

Agreed, if I buy a brand new half million dollar vehicle, it better have less than one mile on it. Especially if I'm about to put it through 12-15 years of brutal NYC beating.

You guys are lucky - one of Santa Monica's new NABI 60 BRTs stopped in Texas and acted as a demo bus before it was finally driven to Santa Monica and delivered. Imagine your brand new Lamborghini being not only driven half way across the US to be delivered, but also used as demo car for someone else. Bullshit if you ask me.

About how many miles will buses like these log before they are retired?

Obviously driving them in is cheaper than putting them on a trailer, I wonder what the cost is of putting them on a trailer? Probably pretty high.

Mileage depends on the agency. The minimum is normally 500,000 miles and/or 12 years of service.

A 40' bus costs about $5,800 to be transported 1,700 miles. But that's only if you get a good deal. The more the vehicles, the less they charge. Delivering 400+ buses long distance by flatbed can run into the millions.

Agreed, if I buy a brand new half million dollar vehicle, it better have less than one mile on it. Especially if I'm about to put it through 12-15 years of brutal NYC beating.

You guys are lucky - one of Santa Monica's new NABI 60 BRTs stopped in Texas and acted as a demo bus before it was finally driven to Santa Monica and delivered. Imagine your brand new Lamborghini being not only driven half way across the US to be delivered, but also used as demo car for someone else. Bullshit if you ask me.

This happens all over the country nearly everyday of the week. Buses are rarely put on flatbeds because of the cost involved. Depending on the distance, some manufactures will deliver hybrid buses by truck. Diesel and CNG buses are almost always delivered by road. The cost of having them delivered by flatbed is just too high.

A Lamborghini and a bus don't have anything in common though. Now if you purchase a million dollar bus, it's likely going to be delivered.

A Lamborghini and a bus don't have anything in common though. Now if you purchase a million dollar bus, it's likely going to be delivered.

I used a Lambo as an example of an expensive vehicle. A new Lambo costs around the same price as a new bus, with a new hybrid artic costing almost twice as much as a Lambo depending on what car model we are talking about. Car or bus, an expensive vehicle is an expensive vehicle.

I DO understand that if NABI had to deliver all of LACMTA's new 300 45C-Compobuses by truckbed from it's plant in Alabama to LA it would have been way too expensive not to mention a pain in the ass.

Archived