New Flyer C40LF Discussion

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

I used a Lambo as an example of an expensive vehicle. A new Lambo costs around the same price as a new bus, with a new hybrid artic costing almost twice as much as a Lambo depending on what car model we are talking about. Car or bus, an expensive vehicle is an expensive vehicle.

I DO understand that if NABI had to deliver all of LACMTA's new 300 45C-Compobuses by truckbed from it's plant in Alabama to LA it would have been way too expensive not to mention a pain in the ass.

I see what you are saying, but you still can't compare a public bus to a Lambo.

Now if I buy an MCI J4500, or Prevost custom job, then yeah, I might want it delivered by truck.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mileage depends on the agency. The minimum is normally 500,000 miles and/or 12 years of service.

A 40' bus costs about $5,800 to be transported 1,700 miles. But that's only if you get a good deal. The more the vehicles, the less they charge. Delivering 400+ buses long distance by flatbed can run into the millions.

Is that price driven or on a trailer?

You guys are lucky - one of Santa Monica's new NABI 60 BRTs stopped in Texas and acted as a demo bus before it was finally driven to Santa Monica and delivered. Imagine your brand new Lamborghini being not only driven half way across the US to be delivered, but also used as demo car for someone else. Bullshit if you ask me.

Did they buy this bus used knowing it was a demo (or loan/lease it out)? I'm sure they did. No manufacturer would allow a vehicle meant for another customer act as a demo for a another potential customer without their permission, their reputation would go down the toilet.

Some people buy rental cars knowing they are rental cars, they save money. The same goes with buses, Veolia bought a demo from Orion with NC tags that is lingering around Garden City.

I also hear what you are saying about a lambo, but these vehicles are night and day and you need to separate a luxury vehicle from a work vehicle. To many of us on this forum it's hard to do so, because we love buses but these are not someone's new car being delivered they are viewed as pieces of machinery with a life span.

Could you imagine if another city was interested in using these buses as demo's before they went into service in NYC? If the city saved $50,000 (complete guesstimate) doing that that would be $200,000 for 400 buses, that's huge!

Is that price driven or on a trailer?

Did they buy this bus used knowing it was a demo (or loan/lease it out)? I'm sure they did. No manufacturer would allow a vehicle meant for another customer act as a demo for a another potential customer without their permission, their reputation would go down the toilet.

Some people buy rental cars knowing they are rental cars, they save money. The same goes with buses, Veolia bought a demo from Orion with NC tags that is lingering around Garden City.

I also hear what you are saying about a lambo, but these vehicles are night and day and you need to separate a luxury vehicle from a work vehicle. To many of us on this forum it's hard to do so, because we love buses but these are not someone's new car being delivered they are viewed as pieces of machinery with a life span.

Could you imagine if another city was interested in using these buses as demo's before they went into service in NYC? If the city saved $50,000 (complete guesstimate) doing that that would be $200,000 for 400 buses, that's huge!

I would buy an Xcelsior before I would buy a Lambo, so I guess that is why I don't separate them. Plus, the R160's(Isn't there like 1500 of these?), LACMTA's new LRVs(50 or so?) for the Gold Line and SEPTA's new Silverliner V(Don't know the details of this order) are all delivered by truck so again, although expensive, I don't see why buses can't be delivered the same way.

These were brand new buses, and here's the article:

CNG for BRT in El Paso | Fleets & Fuels ShowTimes Magazine

All I'm saying is that the city of Santa Monica bought this bus brand new straight from the factory and it's BS that the people of Santa Monica weren't the first to ride it when their taxes and fares paid for it.

I understand a lot of you guys are fans of buses. Just to put things in perspective,a $500,000 bus is about an average price where a Lambo is a luxury car that a rich 1 percent type would buy. That's the difference here. Apples and Oranges is all. Expensive bus,mostly all the buses you may get to ride are going to be in that price range. A Lamborghini is the kind of car that passes us while we are putting along in our 1994 Nissan Sentra. Most transit systems are not going for luxury or show how baller they are. Guys in high price cars are.

Nice catch! That chriz dude is gonna be happy lol.

I'm gonna miss WF having random old buses to supplement the VII CNGs over the years, oh well.

I wonder if one of the buses from this batch makes its way over to SC for training, as IIRC, there next, I'm guessing their batch should start coming in around March. Only took a month for JG to get their batch.... not bad. :cool:

Nice catch, there must be two hawks because I rode on of the hawks this morning and it was 855, I know its a hawk by the run number, hawks have low run numbers like 001, 002, etc. I was kinda salty as the other run I normally ride had a new C40, not to mention I had to stand from Flatbush to where it crosses the B9 route. :mad:

The dude that drives the hawk I get sometimes in the AM rush must not be trained on the W/C lift on the new C40 or something. Or maybe being that the new C40s are well... new lol, he doesn't to be struck on a dead bus that has a teething issue all night long, and rather take good ol reliable old C40. Who knows lol.

Nice catch, there must be two hawks because I rode on of the hawks this morning and it was 855, I know its a hawk by the run number, hawks have low run numbers like 001, 002, etc. I was kinda salty as the other run I normally ride had a new C40, not to mention I had to stand from Flatbush to where it crosses the B9 route. :mad:

The dude that drives the hawk I get sometimes in the AM rush must not be trained on the W/C lift on the new C40 or something. Or maybe being that the new C40s are well... new lol, he doesn't to be struck on a dead bus that has a teething issue all night long, and rather take good ol reliable old C40. Who knows lol.

there's 2 hawk runs on the B8

Makes me wonder if not every driver at WF is trained lolol

I really don't know if only a few are trained or if a lot of them are trained. Some are afraid to pull out a new bus and some say this guy just beats them to it. That's what I heard from West Farms operators.

During 230's final days at West Farms, it ran on the Bx11 and 35.

Turns out he was the operator to drive 230 over to Gleason.

I really don't know if only a few are trained or if a lot of them are trained. Some are afraid to pull out a new bus and some say this guy just beats them to it. That's what I heard from West Farms operators.

During 230's final days at West Farms, it ran on the Bx11 and 35.

Turns out he was the operator to drive 230 over to Gleason.

how many of them do WF have now, i saw one the other day and i didnt see the number but i do see alot of the nova artics on every line at WF

how many of them do WF have now, i saw one the other day and i didnt see the number but i do see alot of the nova artics on every line at WF

266 is the current and only one atm.

I guess the Bx36 is up for training and thats about it.

230 I've seen on the BX19 / BX21 / BX36

266 is the current and only one atm.

I guess the Bx36 is up for training and thats about it.

230 I've seen on the BX19 / BX21 / BX36

so they are getting what numbers? 266 and up, or down I know they are getting 55 buses so when are they coming,? And I think they are doing 3 lines atba time, oh so 230 is back at WF now?

Archived