Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

How do MNRR conductors decide on which cars to open when they stop at stations that are shorter than the train? For years on the Hudson line, it has seemed totally random. Some runs open the first 4 cars of 8 when stopping at Morris Heights, University Heights and Marble Hill. Other runs use the last 4 cars. Today, something I've never seen before - conductor announces that to exit at those stops, you need to be in the MIDDLE 4 cars! Amazing. Must piss off the regulars for those stops.  But why?

2 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

How do MNRR conductors decide on which cars to open when they stop at stations that are shorter than the train? For years on the Hudson line, it has seemed totally random. Some runs open the first 4 cars of 8 when stopping at Morris Heights, University Heights and Marble Hill. Other runs use the last 4 cars. Today, something I've never seen before - conductor announces that to exit at those stops, you need to be in the MIDDLE 4 cars! Amazing. Must piss off the regulars for those stops.  But why?

It varies because of how many cars are used.  For example there is one peak train that I take from Riverdale to GCT that appears to have more cars that other peak trains Southbound, and I believe a few other peak trains do too Northbound to accommodate the crowds.  Given that you'll see that some trains platform differently.  There's a train that's just after the peak to Greystone from GCT (20:37 train) where the first two cars are not used ever, so it's a six car train, but only four cars are used for passengers.  Those first two cars likely don't platform at the stations with the shorter platforms, and then the last four will platform.

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It varies because of how many cars are used.  For example there is one peak train that I take from Riverdale to GCT that appears to have more cars that other peak trains Southbound, and I believe a few other peak trains do too Northbound to accommodate the crowds.  Given that you'll see that some trains platform differently.  There's a train that's just after the peak to Greystone from GCT (20:37 train) where the first two cars are not used ever, so it's a six car train, but only four cars are used for passengers.  Those first two cars likely don't platform at the stations with the shorter platforms, and then the last four will platform.

Nope. My examples were all 8-car trains, with all cars occupied. 

Edited by Italianstallion

10 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Nope. My examples were all 8-car trains, with all cars occupied. 

That is interesting. I don’t get on the trains that have eight cars enough to notice, and never paid attention, but for the other car lengths, I would imagine that the number of cars does matter. For the cars with eight of them going to GCT, I haven’t noticed a difference. You see I’ll always go to the last back cars because they never platform, thus no worrying about doors opening or people getting on, not unless they walk through the train, which rarely ever happens after Marble Hill, not to mention that the last two cars are quiet cars in the AM rush. What you’re talking about must happen during the PM rush, and I try to avoid those trains because of the crowds, but I believe what you’re talking about happens with the trains going to Croton-Harmon. I always try to get the semi-express trains that don’t stop at the trains with short platrorms in the PM, or try to get on in cars where the doors won’t open at such stations because the cars won’t platform, but as you said, it seems to be all over the place, particularly going back to Riverdale, which annoys me, hence why I try to opt for those semi-express trains that don’t stop after 125th until Spuyten Duyvil.  Much more predictable going towards GCT, at least the trains that I board. Then again, there aren’t that many eight train cars save the peak ones if memory serves me right. The semi-express trains may also be eight cars because they seem to be popular but yeah, good question.