Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

November 1st map revision show Queens Blvd (M) line run local from Jamaica Center and 34 Street-Hearld Square....Plus corrections on The Bronx side where there is 5 train service running from the October 31st map; which it is not right now.

link: http://www.mta.info/...RecoveryMap.pdf

Next revision is tomorrow, November 2nd for the (7) train service Main St and 74 St-Broadway.

Might as well just sign the Myrtle Av (M) as an (S) then.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (L) Tubes Flooding is down to the benchwalk now, the (E) and (M) tubes the flooding is down to see and smell the dead rats, they are having pumping problems with the (L) tubes though. I dont expect those tubes to be up and running come Monday, i hope so though. as for the (G) thats anybody's guess...

The (L) Tubes Flooding is down to the benchwalk now, the (E) and (M) tubes the flooding is down to see and smell the dead rats, they are having pumping problems with the (L) tubes though. I dont expect those tubes to be up and running come Monday, i hope so though. as for the (G) thats anybody's guess...

What about the Steinway tunnels? What kind of problems are they having with pumping?

BTW, Effective 6:45 AM, Friday, November 2, NYC Transit will begin implementing limited subway service as follows: 5.png trains operate between Eastchester- Dyre Av and E 180 St.

What about the Steinway tunnels?

A lot of water still not to mention serious signals problems from 69th to QBP not sure about the (7) line..

What kind of problems are they having with pumping?

Not strong enough i heard also the fumes from the pump so deep in the tunnel is affecting personnel.. They are working around the Clock..

November 1st map revision show Queens Blvd (M) line run local from Jamaica Center and 34 Street-Hearld Square....Plus corrections on The Bronx side where there is 5 train service running from the October 31st map; which it is not right now.

link: http://www.mta.info/...RecoveryMap.pdf

Next revision is tomorrow, November 2nd for the (7) train service Main St and 74 St-Broadway.

add the 5 Dyre Av Shuttle....

new map: http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/SubwayRecoveryMap_0.pdf

I too will join the long list of people hoping power can be restored to the East River tubes by Monday morning.

After being closed this whole week, it seems like public schools will almost definitely be open on Monday (especially since Bloomberg called in staff today). If people have to use that bus bridge, forget about us kids getting to school on time.

Although some 80% of my school could probably make it to Harlem or Mt. Sinai with the subway service running right now, so I'd be one of the odd ones out.

update from nypost:

C’mon, let’s go already!

By JENNIFER FERMINO and AMY STRETTEN

Last Updated: 3:35 AM, November 2, 2012

Posted: 1:14 AM, November 2, 2012

Almost every East River subway tunnels have been drained of water and are ready to be put in use at a moment’s notice — all they need is electricity, Gov. Cuomo announced yesterday.

“The East River tunnels carrying the (4), (5) and (F) trains [between lower Manhattan and Brooklyn] are now free of water,’’ he said. “The tracks are dry, the signal testing has been completed. Service can be restored within two hours of restoration by Con Ed.”

There’s another bright spot: One tube of the Holland Tunnel has also been pumped free of water, and it will serve buses today.

As for the subways, Con Ed said the earliest it could restore the majority of service in lower Manhattan is late tomorrow (SATURDAY).

The MTA said water has also been cleared out of the Clark Street and Steinway tunnels — which carry the (2)(3) AND (7) trains, respectively — but can’t be used because of power issues.

The only tunnels that still have major flooding are the Montague Street — which carries the (R) into Brooklyn — and 14th Street, which is used by the (L) train.

More subway service was restored yesterday, including the (M) from Queens to Midtown and the (7) from Flushing to 74th Street in Jackson Heights, where it connects with the (F) and N.(M).

On commuter rails, Metro-North added service on the Harlem, Hudson and New Haven lines.

The Long Island Rail Road added trains on the Babylon and Port Jefferson branches.

Service will continue to be free today on all MTA trains and busses, the agency said.

But most passengers said they’d pay double to have their old commutes back. “I wish I never complained that they were late before the hurricane. At least they came!” said Ray Qi, from Bensonhurst, who took a shuttle bus from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

The city set up three shuttle-bus centers — at the Barclays Center, Jay Street-MetroTech and on Hewes Street in Williamsburg — to take riders into the city.

At one point, the line was six blocks long.

Other riders were furious that people were cutting the bus lines.

Officials advised everyone to add an extra hour to their normal commuting times.

Meanwhile, the city’s forced carpooling policy — mandating three people in vehicles crossing the Manhattan-bound East River bridges, the Lincoln Tunnel and the Henry Hudson Bridge — created confusion.

Cops mistakenly enforced the policy on the George Washington Bridge in the morning commute.

Many drivers aggressively tried to cross with less than three passengers and were turned away, while some desperately searched for a third rider on the streets and at the Brooklyn shuttle locations.

Today will be the last day for the restriction. “Bear with us. I know it’s annoying. I know it’s inconvenient,” Mayor Bloomberg said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mon_let_go_already_uofA5wu3SLkMjCdTwX2VYP#ixzz2B5M8CRrH

8. They're using the (M)'s equipment. The (E) equipment is being used by the (F), since most of the (F) equipment is stuck in the Brooklyn end.

Now I see why they are running trains as the (M) as opposed to an (E)*. It also partially answers my other question about if JYD has (M) or the 8 car trains there (as opposed to just trains randomly signed up as (M) trains).

*GOs would almost always have the (E) running down 6th av instead of the (M).

Omg, I just took the (F) to Manhattan, the conga line to 34th started at Steinway street, HORRIBLE!!! Don't do it.

It sure did. I attempted to take the (F) or (M) into Manhattan. I bailed out at Roosevelt Island after the (M) train I was on kept stopping and crawling after Steinway. But I expected it to be that way.

It sure did. I attempted to take the (F) or (M) into Manhattan. I bailed out at Roosevelt Island after the (M) train I was on kept stopping and crawling after Steinway. But I expected it to be that way.

So many people Bailed at Lexington Ave, they had enough! lo.l I bailed at 57th st.

I think most ppl got off at 63-lex to transfer to the (4) / (6) or the bus to downtown/Brooklyn (They were probably riders who get off the (E) at 51st.). Anyways, I got on the (7) from Main Street and got off at 74th to transfer to the (F) / (M) . The thing is, they blocked off the escalators from the main (7) mezz to the QB line mezz, and forced everyone to go down the stairs to street level, cross Roosevelt, walk past the main entrance and through the bus stop entrance to re-enter the station. Seriously, that wasn't necessary...

8. They're using the (M)'s equipment. The (E) equipment is being used by the (F), since most of the (F) equipment is stuck in the Brooklyn end.

That's not why though. They're doing it because they're idiots that think those short trains should be (M) trains because they're (M) trains. If they were thinking to get the biggest trains, there are tons of empty (R) trains sitting on the express tracks.

I think most ppl got off at 63-lex to transfer to the (4) / (6) or the bus to downtown/Brooklyn (They were probably riders who get off the (E) at 51st.). Anyways, I got on the (7) from Main Street and got off at 74th to transfer to the (F) / (M) . The thing is, they blocked off the escalators from the main (7) mezz to the QB line mezz, and forced everyone to go down the stairs to street level, cross Roosevelt, walk past the main entrance and through the bus stop entrance to re-enter the station. Seriously, that wasn't necessary...

Except maybe to keep the station from overcrowding.

What is the reason for complete lack of service on Brighton line?

I'm going to give an opinion on this, maybe trees have fallen down and possible flooding, I mean even the Franklin Shuttle is also suspended.

That's not why though. They're doing it because they're idiots that think those short trains should be (M) trains because they're (M) trains. If they were thinking to get the biggest trains, there are tons of empty (R) trains sitting on the express tracks.

First off, do YOU work for the MTA?? If not then why the heck are you questioning a train conductor? Snowblock probably knows way more on what's going on with the system than all of us. I think you're trolling us because you want everyone to reply to you. Nevermind I think you got the boot.

It's not just him. There are a bunch of posters here who are armchair experts and want to argue with me every time I give an update....which honestly, is deterring me from even wanting to post here anymore. But to answer the question, there were flooding issues in the infamous Malbone St tunnel just north of Prospect Park station and unfortunately it just isn't on the priority list of areas to pump yet.

NY Daily News article of service restoration....

MTA expects to restore Brooklyn-Manhattan subway service Saturday

The MTA is expecting to have train service between Brooklyn and Manhattan on Saturday -- with the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 lines running under the East River and the D, N, Q and J traveling across the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges.

There is light at the end of the subway tunnel.

The MTA is expecting to have train service between Brooklyn and Manhattan on Saturday - with the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 lines running under the East River and the D, N, Q and J traveling across the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges.

But exactly how much service returns and when hinges on Con Edison restoring power to lower Manhattan. Lines will kick in one by one to avoid overwhelming the battered grid.

The juice wasn’t back on in time to help the city’s weary commuters on Friday - who had to cope with another day of no trains below 34th St. or through the East River tunnels for the morning and evening rush hours.

Many of them again packed into the MTA “bus bridge” shuttles to travel between the two boroughs, suffering long lines and gridlock.

“Commuting went better today than yesterday,” Mayor Bloomberg said at a midday briefing where he announced HOV restrictions requiring Manhattan-bound vehicles to have three passengers expired at 5 p.m.

Despite the crippling power outage, New York City’s lifeline - its massive public transportation system - was getting longer by the hour.

-- The Staten Island ferry began crossing the harbor at noon to cheers

-- The No. 7 line was rolling from Main St., Flushing, to 74th St./Broadway in Queens

-- M trains were ferrying riders between Jamaica, Queens, and 34th St./Herald Square in Manhattan

-- In the Bronx, riders could catch No. 5 trains between Eastchester/ Dyre Ave. and E. 180th St. At E. 180th St., riders can take the No. 2 train to Manhattan

-- The four busiest Long Island Rail Road branches to Penn Station were running: Port Washington as far as Great Neck, Port Jefferson from Huntington, and Ronkonkoma and Babylon.

-- Metro-North will have all main-branch service back Saturday, good news for the 140,000 people who ride the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines every day.

The railroad, which has been ramping up service as it gets power and clears tracks, will also restore service to small branches off the main lines that carry about 8,000 riders a day.

West of the Hudson River, Metro-North's Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines in Orange and Rockland counties can't come back until NJ Transit restores service to tracks Metro-North uses.

-- One tube of the Holland Tunnel opened for buses and commercial vehicles only. The midtown tunnels remain closed.

Residents of the hammered Rockaways will have the longest wait for subway service to return because the bridge over Jamaica Bay south of the Howard Beach station was decimated, officials said. It will take a month at least to repair the crossing, and at least 15,000 riders use the affected stations.

"It's a big deal," said firefighter Bradach Walsh, who lives in Rockaway Beach. "Without the train, people can't get to work" because countless cars were destroyed when the streets became an ocean.

The MTA took all trains off the Rockaway peninsula and shut down the whole system Sunday night to prevent damage as Hurricane Sandy zeroed in on New York.

But those precautions proved to be no match for the fury of the storm's surge, which flooded all seven tubes that run under the East River.

Limited subway service above 34th St. began Thursday morning, but commuters who wanted to travel between Brooklyn and Manhattan had to take MTA “bus bridges."

There were immense lines again as thousands waited Friday morning at "commuter hubs" -- Jay St./ Metro Tech, Barclays Center and Hewes St. – to be carried over the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges, to 54th St. and Lexington Ave.

Waits were 30 to 45 minutes at times and there was some chaos.

At 54th St. and Lexington Ave, lines wrapped city blocks and back again with MTA workers unsure which shuttles to put people on.

"People are angry,” said Gabrielle Alexander, 25, a home-health aide from Flatbush. “There are a lot of angry people on line. It took me three hours to get home last night ... I have to work all weekend, so it will be a lot better once the subways are running."

Terence Watson, 48, of Flatbush, noted the free ride of the past two days would be over in a few hours.

“I pray to God it's working soon, but they are still talking about raising the fare, " he said. "I missed three days of work already.”

As buses from Manhattan disgorged people at Adams St. in Downtown Brooklyn, riders said they were anxious to swipe through a turnstile again.

"Especially Brooklyn people, we need the subway," said John Stockford, 26, who was hoofing it from the bus to his Clinton Hill home.

Eric Davis, 18, said the stop-and-go ride through streets clogged with cars made him yearn for underground travel -- but he was not as optimistic as the MTA.

"I hope it's back, but I don't think it will be," he said.

The big bright spot Friday was the Staten Island ferry, which began running on a half-hour schedule at noon. The first boat out of St. George held about 100, the second one about 150 and the third more than 400.

Many were tourists who had come from the Manhattan side were simply heading back. But Curtis Toye, 37, lives on Staten Island and bolted for the terminal when he heard the ferries were back in operation.

"We heard the ferry restarted on the radio," said Toye, who lives in the St. George section of the storm-battered island and had no power or heat at home.

"It helps. I just want to get away for a while. I'm heading to Midtown at last to get my life back to normal," he said. "I needed to get out.

We were just stuck and couldn't do anything. We had no communication with the outside world."

Adam Gonzalez, 58, who lives in St. George and teaches at a charter school, said he had been stranded on Staten Island because his car was damaged -- so he took the ferry to get medicine from a Manhattan pharmacy.

"I've been trapped there," he said. “I've been locked up in my apartment for how many days now? A week? At least I had hot water. I feel like a ghost, like I'm not really here.”

The terminal on the Manhattan side of the harbor was also eerily quiet, running on generators.

"It was scary at first," said Megan Vasquez, 20, who took the first boat out of Staten Island.

"There weren't a lot of people, and everyone seemed nervous waiting at the terminal, but when they opened the doors people cheered."

Service expected Saturday

1 - 242nd St. - Times Square

2 - Full service

3 - Full service

4 - Full service

5 - Full service

6 - Full service

7 - Full service

Times Square Shuttle - full

A - Lefferts Blvd - Penn Station local...{?

B - ?}

C - No service

D - Full service

E - No service

F - Full service

G - No service

J - Full service

L - Broadway Junction - Rockaway Parkway

M -Middle Village - Myrtle Ave.

N - Full service

Q - Full service

R - Jay St./MetroTech - 95th St.

S - Franklin Ave. and Rockaway Park shuttled - no service.

Metro-North - Full main branch service on the Hudson, Harlem and New

Haven Lines.

Long Island Rail Road.

Full or partial service on four busiest branches: Port Washington,

Port Jefferson, Babylon and Ronkonkoma.

Bridges

Verrazano - open

Tappan Zee - open

Marine Parkway - open

Throgs Neck - open

Henry Hudson - open

Bx-Whitestone - open

RFK - open

Cross Bay - open

Holland Tunnel - open for buses

Lincoln Tunnel - open

Tunnels

Hugh Carey - closed

Queens-Midtown - closed

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/limited-mta-subway-service-continues-friday-article-1.1195659#ixzz2B8mBvcqG

Archived