Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Those riders on the Lefferts Blvd branch are probably like :D at the shorten headway's they will have over the next month.

Not to mention that the Rockaways is a small neighborhood compared to Broad Channel. Both are smaller islands but have ridership on the subway stations themselves. No wonder ridership there are at the bottom at the barrel outside of the summer and rush hours. I think the (A) should always run at 10 minute headways on the Lefferts branch or if that will ever be...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure did. I attempted to take the (F) or (M) into Manhattan. I bailed out at Roosevelt Island after the (M) train I was on kept stopping and crawling after Steinway. But I expected it to be that way.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me last night. We're moving along nicely until about 36th Street or so, and then suddenly service slows to a crawl. I'm like "f**k, this couldn't happen at Lexington Avenue?". At least there, I'd have options (I mean, at Steinway Street I could wait for the Q101, but that would likely take longer than the subway). I intended to get off at Herald Square and catch the X17 at 5th & 32nd, but I bailed at Lexington & 63rd.

Yeah... I'm so pissed I wasn't online to see that... f-in cra*kers... :LOOL:

What makes it so hilarious is the fact that I think this is one of the most diverse communities I know.

I'm still LMAO at QJT's accidental comment.

It's not just him. There are a bunch of posters here who are armchair experts and want to argue with me every time I give an update....which honestly, is deterring me from even wanting to post here anymore. But to answer the question, there were flooding issues in the infamous Malbone St tunnel just north of Prospect Park station and unfortunately it just isn't on the priority list of areas to pump yet.

Damn, that sucks. I guess the crossover south of Prospect Park can't be used then.

It would be nice if there was another crossover on the line. There's one south of Kings Highway, so I guess theoretically, you could run Kings Highway-Brighton Beach service, but that really wouldn't help a lot of people (well, I guess if the yard is flooded there's no way to get equipment to that line anyway).

Are there shuttle buses in that area? Or do riders have to try and make their way to other lines?

Well its now 84% of the system....

Subways Back to 84 Percent Monday Morning, But No L or G-Train Service Until Sometime Next Week

So the MTA has done an unbelievable job restoring subway service after so much of the system was knocked out following Superstorm Sandy. Even MTA chief Joe Lhota said as much this morning at a press briefing. “I’m really proud of the MTA for coming back as fast as it did,” he said standing outside the 69th Regimental Armory. “It exceeded most of the public’s expectation and it exceeded my expectations, too. I didn’t think I’d be standing here today telling you we’d be at 81 percent.”

Service will be back to 84 percent by Monday, covering most of Lower Manhattan with many lines fully restored. In addition to the (4)(5)(6) and (7)-train resuming full service this morning, the (B)(D)(F)(M) lines will all be back later today. The (Q)-train will be back, as well, from Astoria all the way to storm-ravaged Coney Island. The (2)(3) will resume full service between Brooklyn and the Bronx tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to the resumption of subway service, the MTA will stop running the bus bridge that has been bringing Brooklynites into Manhattan Saturday afternoon.

By Monday, the (E)-train will resume service from Jamaica to the World Trade Center and the (N) train will run from Astoria to 59th Street in Sunset Park though service beyond there will not be back. The (A)-train will also resume service downtown, from 168th Street in Harlem to Lefferts Boulevard/Ozone Park in Queens. The (1)-train will be running to Rector Street but not South Ferry, where photos of flooding have been a sensation on the Internet. “We should be back to close to full service in time for the commute Monday morning,” Mr. Lhota said.

Trains to the Rockaways are still months away, due to destruction on the Broad Channel crossing, as The Observer previously reported. And North Brooklyn and their hipster-beloved trains remain out of luck—there will be no service on the (L) or the (G) trains until those lines can be pumped out at some point next week.

“The (L), I’m particularly worried about because of how long the water is,” Mr. Lhota said. “My hope is it’s one day next week, I really do.” The MTA is pointing to restored (M) and (J) service into Manhattan as an alternative route for North Brooklynites into the city.

There are other outlying sections of the train without service, like the piece of the (A)-train in Washington Heights and Inwood north of the 168th Street station.

The system now has full power, and it is only residual flooding that is holding stations back from opening. “As of Friday night, we had 60 percent of our system up and running, by tonight we’re adding another 21 percent, so we’ll be at 81 percent, and by Monday, we’ll only have 16 percent to go,” Mr. Lhota said.

The system has been coming back “inch by inch, rail by rail,” Mr. Lhota added.

Update: An MTA spokesman just provided the following explanation for why the MTA has yet to be able to provide at least partial service along the (L) and (G) lines within Brooklyn where the tracks are not flooded:

“The answer on the (L) is that it’s impossible to turn trains around easily mid-route for a Brooklyn shuttle service,” Mr. Lisberg wrote in an email. “Very difficult to set up because of the track layout. They may try now that other lines are getting better service, but that’s just a discussion at this point. As for the (G), enough of it is parallel to other lines—plus the naturally low ridership.”

http://observer.com/2012/11/subways-back-to-84-percent-monday-morning-but-no-l-or-g-train-service-until-sometime-next-week/

I can see it now: The (1) runs limited service 242-New Lots, but the headways will be long not because of capacity, but because their crews would be busy filing greivances and booking sick.

All the extra-extras fresh out of school car would be on the (1) and it still wouldnt be enough :lol:

Might not be happening they can use the loop to turn trains..

Please kill that Zoolots Idea folks....

90 percent by Sunday:

Mayor Bloomberg's press conference on subway; youtube @ 1:00:03....

Transcript:

"Almost all MTA subway service has been restored — around 80 percent of the system. The MTA has said that that should be up to 90 percent by tomorrow. Most subway lines are fully operational including lines running under the East River between Brooklyn and Manhattan, as well as between Queens and Manhattan.

There are a couple of subway lines that remain affected and that's partially because of two East River subway tunnels that still have some flooding. Specifically the Montague Tunnel which serves the N R line and the 14th Street Tunnel which serves the N, R and L. And in coordination with the Army Corps of Engineers and city and state transportation workers, we've actively been pumping water out of those tunnels as well as the other tunnels still affected by flooding.

The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Jersey City PATH Train Tunnel and Battery Exchange Tunnel — work is going around the clock, we will keep you posted.

But I did want to point out that because the MTA did take proactive preparations before the storm and move their equipment out of harm's way, as soon as we got the tunnels pumped out, checked the rails and the signaling, they could go right back to work. If they had not done that you could be out of service for a very long period of time."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-mta-subway-service-2012-11#ixzz2BCnELMpu

“The answer on the (L) is that it’s impossible to turn trains around easily mid-route for a Brooklyn shuttle service,” Mr. Lisberg wrote in an email. “Very difficult to set up because of the track layout. They may try now that other lines are getting better service, but that’s just a discussion at this point.

They have shuttle service as far as Lorimer all the time. Unless the flooding goes that far back. And then, there's still Myrtle, which is also used as a terminal in G.O's.

A HUGE update on the (J) service....

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 8:08PM

NYC Transit began implementing limited subway service as follows:

j.png trains operate between Jamaica Center and Essex Street, making all local stops.

z.png train service is suspended.

For service to and from Manhattan shuttle bus is available at Hewes Street.

----------------------------------------------------------------

problems on the (N)...

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 8:05PM

Due to mechanical problems at 59 St, Downtown n.png trains are terminating at Queensboro Plz.

Please expect delays in n.png train service in both directions at this time.

Why wouldn't the (4) run to New Lots. The (1) to New Lots is complicated.

The way the tracks are set up, once the IRT West Side can run again Chambers and north, it would make sense to run the 1 to New Lots since running the 4 requires a crossover and you have to turn the 1 around somewhere.

BTW, if Whitehall is flooded, I would run the (N) as a shuttle from midtown to Astoria (as it is right now) and the (R) to Bay Ridge over the bridge. The only other suitable turnaround if the Sea Beach is unavailable is 9 Avenue. If the Brighton is available, but the Sea Beach is not, suspend the (N) and run the (Q) instead.

As for the Hewes Street shuttle, I'd delete it altogether and until the (F) starts running again, add more M14A buses.

I just got back from rockaway after 3 days down there helping my mom. Let me tell you what's he deal with he train:

The stations are fine. I saw everything from rock park to Mott ave. The reports here of their demise are greatly exaggerated. Seriously.

As for the crossing, well, that is frakked! The North channel bridge is damaged. Some parts of the flats have no ground underneath the tracks. And there's lots of debris south of liberty ave. But the stations are fine. I saw them with my own eyes.

Well, the (Q) Brighton Local is the only option at the eastern side of Flatbash, Midwood, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, and Brighton Beach for subway riders there (expect where the (2)(5) end/start at Brooklyn College). That's one of the many reasons why it runs more frequently like say at its five to eight minute headways on weekdays. So yes, I'm happy for those residents there. Good thing the (B) equalize ridership as the express too.

And Sea Beach riders will blame the MTA for being neglected...

But the (N) runs at 6 or 7 minute headways at rush hour and 10 minutes during middays, evenings, and weekends. The (D)(F)(N) serve the same areas on the southwest side of Brooklyn but on different routes, so riders are attracted to them or whatever other reasons...

Having both the (N) and (Q), Astoria residents are very winning right now.

Yeah, I wonder why they did that. That's more than they usually get on the weekends. They'd be better off using those trainsets to do what aemoreira suggested and run the (R). That way you can at least get some express service on the QBL (Come to think about it, the QBL local riders are getting better service than usual, since normally they only have one local route)

But the (N) runs at 6 or 7 minute headways at rush hour and 10 minutes during middays, evenings, and weekends. The (D)(F)(N) serve the same areas on the southwest side of Brooklyn but on different routes, so riders are attracted to them or whatever other reasons...

No, the suspension of the (N) in Brooklyn will have a huge impact to those Chinese people living in the areas.

The (D)(F)(Q) take them nowhere near Brooklyn's Chinatown...

And buses are not reliable at all.

Archived