Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/hurricane_recovery_map_bw_Nov3_am.pdf

Here's the latest map showing full Lexington Av and (7) line service.

I'm surprised they got things up and running so fast. But does anyone else notice that the IND is left out in Brooklyn? It's only connection to Manhattan is via Jamaica (J) or 4 Avenue (R) and (4)/(5).

I'm surprised they got things up and running so fast. But does anyone else notice that the IND is left out in Brooklyn? It's only connection to Manhattan is via Jamaica (J) or 4 Avenue (R) and (4)/(5).

Well the news said the (F) train tunnel is clear of water so hopefully we can get (A) and (F) service between Brooklyn and Manhattan soon.

It still very bad news for the Rockaways.

If Rockaways resident want to get to/from, they have to take n31/n32 to Lynbrook-Five Corner for n4 Jamaica to connect with (M) for (M)anhattan or (J) for Brooklyn's Williamsburg.

It so upsetting that renovated Rockaway Stations got ruined by Hurricane Sandy.

I even heard Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge suffered great damage from storm.

does anyone know if the (B)(Q) will be running again because i normally use these routes to go to school as school is back on Monday

Is MTA just being lazy with Q and B? Why is it still suspended?

Absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Snowblock said the tunnel north of Prospect Park is flooded.

And TheKorean, cut the MTA a little slack, eh? They're doing a pretty good job getting service back up quickly. I understand your frustration, but it's not as if the MTA is just slacking. Other busy tunnels like 53rd St and 14th St are still out of commission as well. Some tunnels will naturally be pumped out before others, they can't all be restored at the same time.

I think the reason that there are no (B)(N)(Q) in Brooklyn is because they don't have trains to run them...

Equipment for those services is most likely stored in Manhattan, but power is not fully recovered yet so they cannot move the trains down to Brooklyn.

I passed Ave U (N) yesterday I saw the tracks were dry and no water at all...

ugh. ok then. Legit excuse.

Well it turns out MTA is expecting Q to run from Astoria to Coney Island sometime today.

Why was D train out though? Every train out of Coney island except F were out for longer than any other services.

The D is split because there was no power south of Herald Sq, meaning the third rail/signals were out on the Manhattan Bridge and the Sixth Avenue line. Power was restored just this morning if I'm not mistaken.

http://alert.mta.inf..._bw_Nov3_am.pdf

Here's the latest map showing full Lexington Av and (7) line service.

Plus, Staten Island railway has restored.

Service Alert on Lex Av lines:

Posted: 11/03/2012 1:06PM

MTA Service Notice

Delays Posted: 11/03/2012 1:06PM

Due to signal problems at Bowling Green Station, please expect delays in service in both directions on the 4.png and 5.png trains at this time.

Delays Posted: 11/03/2012 12:10PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at the Woodlawn Station, please expect delays in 4.png train service at this time.

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 10:56AM

Due to no lights at the Fulton Street Station, 4.png and 5.png trains are bypassing the Fulton Street Station in both directions at this time.

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 10:20AM

Limited 6.png train service has resumed in both directions from the Pelham Bay Park Station to the Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Station.

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 10:15AM

Limited 5.png train service has resumed in both directions from the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station to the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College Station.

Service Change Posted: 11/03/2012 10:09AM

Limited 4.png train service has resumed in both directions from the Woodlawn Station to the New Lots Avenue Station.

I think the reason that there are no (B)(N)(Q) in Brooklyn is because they don't have trains to run them...

Equipment for those services is most likely stored in Manhattan, but power is not fully recovered yet so they cannot move the trains down to Brooklyn.

I passed Ave U (N) yesterday I saw the tracks were dry and no water at all...

I believe some cars were stored underground to keep them safe. After all, the MTA did have cars to run limited (D)(F) and (R) service, so I imagine they could probably spare cars for limited (N) and (Q) service. The (B) would be fully redundant to the (Q) for Brooklyn-only service, and I imagine the flooding on the (N) and (Q) was the main factor in preventing service (although, hypothetically I wonder if having to single-track from Prospect Park to Atlantic Av would make running 10-minute service difficult.)

More than 80% of New York City subway trains return to service

The subways are nearly all back on track.

Slightly more than 80% of the subway system is back up and running and all trains should be operating within a few days.

"Come on out and use the system," MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said during a Saturday press conference with state and federal elected officials.

Trains started picking up passengers again Saturday morning along the entire 4,5,6 and 7 lines, officials said. Full service will return later Saturday to the D, F, J and M lines, officials said.

The A train will run from 168 St. to Lefferts Blvd. beginning Monday but service to the Rockaways will not return for at least a month because the train bridge over Jamaica Bay was severely damaged.

The subway system had been running largely as a series of shuttles because all seven East River tunnels were flooded and lower Manhattan was without power. With several tunnels pumped dry and power restored by Con Edison, trains can now run between Brooklyn and lower Manhattan through some of the tubes, and over the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges.

Some tunnels remain flooded, including the 14th St. tunnel used by L-line trains.

I'm wondering what they will do with the (1) right now... South Ferry looks pretty badly damaged and where would you terminate the (1)? Brooklyn? Flatbush? New Lots??? I don't think the MTA wants to force the (2)(3) to run local because the (1) has to terminate on the express tracks somewhere along 7th Ave

I can see it now: The (1) runs limited service 242-New Lots, but the headways will be long not because of capacity, but because their crews would be busy filing greivances and booking sick.

All the extra-extras fresh out of school car would be on the (1) and it still wouldnt be enough :lol:

I doubt the reason for the Q being out is water at Prospect Park or anywhere else. The was little rain in this part of Brooklyn and PP is far inland from the shore and actually a bit higher. It is probably just due to power in Manhattan and logistics in getting it moving. The line was cut off from CI and manhattan so it didn't have any cars to run with.

Archived