Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

I'm curious as to how the Rockaway shuttle will run with no power in the Rockaways yet.

As to how they will be maintained? Well I'm assuming that might explain 20 cars: 3 sets of four for service with 2 sets of four for spares.

I'll be going down there tomorrow till sunday so ill check stuff out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to how the Rockaway shuttle will run with no power in the Rockaways yet.

As to how they will be maintained? Well I'm assuming that might explain 20 cars: 3 sets of four for service with 2 sets of four for spares.

I'll be going down there tomorrow till sunday so ill check stuff out.

so far theres like 5 cars, might be 6 to 8 cars now since they moved more this morning, they will mostlikely run 6-8 car trains with the rest being spares, 6 cars might work thats like 4 75 footers anyway

as for the (R), im not trying to sound like a foamer but they can extend the (N) or the (Q) to forest hills, whats the point of running the (R) in 2 sections if the tube is nearly damaged, have the (R) only run between jay st and 95th st, astoria can deal with 1 line for the time being, it sucks having the (R) go only to 34th, it pointless for some people who have to go further down below 34th st, plus the (N) is only going to 59th st and 4th ave anyway

so far theres like 5 cars, might be 6 to 8 cars now since they moved more this morning, they will mostlikely run 6-8 car trains with the rest being spares, 6 cars might work thats like 4 75 footers anyway

as for the (R), im not trying to sound like a foamer but they can extend the (N) or the (Q) to forest hills, whats the point of running the (R) in 2 sections if the tube is nearly damaged, have the (R) only run between jay st and 95th st, astoria can deal with 1 line for the time being, it sucks having the (R) go only to 34th, it pointless for some people who have to go further down below 34th st, plus the (N) is only going to 59th st and 4th ave anyway

Are you sure theres only 5 cars at the Rockaways now? That would entail is transfer rate of one car per day... far too slow to coincide with the start of shuttle bus service on sunday.

Because what do you do with the crews who have (R) jobs out of 71? let them sit?

Are you sure theres only 5 cars at the Rockaways now? That would entail is transfer rate of one car per day... far too slow to coincide with the start of shuttle bus service on sunday.

i said 6-8 should be there now, they didn't move anything on wendsday-thursday because of the storm, its about 2-3 hours per car

@ dan, they can use em on the (N) or (Q)'s as extras, they have done it before in 2001 and in 2002 when the (N) ran on QB for a GO

Why do you have such a problem with the R running in 2 sections? Your awful ideas would 1 confuse riders, 2 cut service to the busy Astoria line. Lot of Queens R riders get off between Lex/59 and 34 St so it's not pointless to run it to 34. You obviously have no idea of the ridership pattns along N,R,Q.

i said 6-8 should be there now, they didn't move anything on wendsday-thursday because of the storm, its about 2-3 hours per car

@ dan, they can use em on the (N) or (Q)'s as extras, they have done it before in 2001 and in 2002 when the (N) ran on QB for a GO

thats not going to work, then you have 10,000 (N)(R)(Q) crews and 20 trains. A giant mess, trust me I was going thru it for the past 2 weeks.

I know it's more $$$ but why is no one suggesting the LIRR Far Rockaway branch instead? I know it mainly a connection to Downtown Brooklyn via Atlantic Terminal and also Mid Manhattan via Penn Station? For some in the Far Rock area it the fastest alternative for now.

Someone said that the current LIRR stops aren't that well used?? In any event, if it doesn't take forever to get it up and running I say sure why not?? Quite frankly the transportation options suck down there. I mean having to depend on the (A) as your only alternative is just horrible...

I know it's more $$$ but why is no one suggesting the LIRR Far Rockaway branch instead? I know it mainly a connection to Downtown Brooklyn via Atlantic Terminal and also Mid Manhattan via Penn Station? For some in the Far Rock area it the fastest alternative for now.

Yea Ima pay 7.25 to ride the train to Far Rockaway when I can simply pay 2.25 for the bus or (A) smh. Not to mention you have to thru Nassau and then back into Queens

Yea Ima pay 7.25 to ride the train to Far Rockaway when I can simply pay 2.25 for the bus or (A) smh. Not to mention you have to thru Nassau and then back into Queens

I not sure where you live in Far Rock but if you going towards Atlantic Terminal or Mid Manhattan it still will be faster than the (S) Rockaway/Shuttle Bus/Lefferts-207th (A). I said if you could afford it.

The least the MTA could do is try to give people a ballpark figure of when the Far Rockaway-Rockaway Park shuttle will be running. I guess from what other are saying, it'll probably be ten days or something before that happens, but hey, that's classic (MTA) style, isn't it. At least they'll running the (A) to Howard Beach again soon.

People living in the Rockaways either take the Shuttle bus to Howard Beach, or the Q113 from Mott Avenue to Jamaica and transfer for the E or the F because it's cheaper than taking the LIRR.

Someone said that the current LIRR stops aren't that well used?? In any event, if it doesn't take forever to get it up and running I say sure why not?? Quite frankly the transportation options suck down there. I mean having to depend on the (A) as your only alternative is just horrible...

There's only one stop at Far Rockaway.

As for not being used, the reason is because the (A) is normally running. Now the (A) isn't running, so that stop will likely see some increase in usage. How much? I don't know. Probably not a whole lot because it's all the way at the eastern end of the peninsula, but it will be an increase and somewhat of an alternative.

In any case, at the very least, the Q52 should be extended to Far Rockaway rather than ending at Arverne, and there should be some short-turns running from Rockaway Blvd to Far Rockaway. And there should be a little extra Q53 service, though I remember B35 mentioning that most of the people are already on the Q53 because the shuttle is unreliable.

For express buses, I do think that they should probably run a little extra service on the QM16/QM17. (I mean, they'll probably have to beef it up a little anyway, from people naturally switching to those lines so they don't have to put up with the transfer). I don't know how much demand there would be for any service outside of rush hour, though. At best, maybe the QM16 should run once an hour off-peak, for those who don't want to put up with the whole transfer at Rockaway Blvd.

I don't know if it can be programmed into the farebox to charge a lower fare, but I think it would be fair to charge a lower one to get to the Rockaways (maybe like $4 or $4.50 instead of $5.50), since a lot of those riders are ones who would've taken the (A) if it were running.

BTW, is the Q22 running for free? (I know all the other routes are charging, but I remember somebody mentioning that there's still no fare on the Q22)

I'm just saying that I would rather use the bus or the (A) i was simply stating that I don't live in Far Rockaway

Except that the (A) isn't running and that's why we're having this discussion in the first place.

The least the MTA could do is try to give people a ballpark figure of when the Far Rockaway-Rockaway Park shuttle will be running. I guess from what other are saying, it'll probably be ten days or something before that happens, but hey, that's classic (MTA) style, isn't it. At least they're running the (A) to Howard Beach again.

Is it? The map says all trains are running to Lefferts: http://alert.mta.inf...map_bw_Nov9.pdf

Archived