Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smh...

I guess you haven't looked at the track layout of the (L). After the double crossover at Bway Junction, the next set of switches is for the pocket track at Myrtle-Wyckoff.

But here's the kicker. The switches aren't facing towards Manhattan, so if you was to send trains from Canarsie to Myrtle-Wyckoff, you would have to do the following...

1. Fumigate the train on the Manhattan-bound platform

2. Reverse the train and relay it into the pocket track

3. Bring the train from the pocket to the Canarsie platform

4. Switch directions again and run it to Canarsie

Its too much problems than what its worth

They do it that way in G.O.s

And they did a relay move like that at Marcy where they didn't have to.

I believe the whole line is CBTC. I don't think the winds would pose too much of a problem with it, the immersion in salt water for several days, however....

IF the problem is CBTC, then the ENY-Canarsie stretch still has the conventional signals as well, since non-CBTC trains use the yard (both storage and the car wash).

I still wonder how these cars being brought to the isolated Rockaway peninsula will be serviced when there's no maintenance facility.

I'm guessing this 59 Street terminal is causing N and D trains to back up. I have an audio recording of a very angry passenger cursing at the conductors at 36 Street… It's quite funny.

Why is this causing D trains to be backed up?Whyndont they terminate it at 9th Ave (D) then?

i like how Brighton riders went apeshit on how they wanted their service so damn bad and look what happens yesterday afternoon during the PM rush, they fount stuff on the tracks at 7th ave, see what happens when you rush the MTA and comes back to bite you in the face

I still wonder how these cars being brought to the isolated Rockaway peninsula will be serviced when there's no maintenance facility.

Even though the railfan side of me is loving the Rockaway shuttle service they are going to implement, it seems like it will be an operations nightmare.

Downtown Brooklyn --> Lafayette/Dekalb... you try walking that distance :lol:

And I ended up taking the 26 -> 43...

I did. Also did...

Bed-Stuy to Clinton Hill

Bushwick to Downtown Brooklyn

Bushwick to Midtown

Brownsville to Downtown Brooklyn

Bed-Stuy to Canarsie

...not that bad of a walk

I did. Also did...

Bed-Stuy to Clinton Hill

Bushwick to Downtown Brooklyn

Bushwick to Midtown

Brownsville to Downtown Brooklyn

Bed-Stuy to Canarsie

...not that bad of a walk

w/e you say... I had another long wait for the B38 earlier today...

I was wondering if it would keep running, when it ran all through the weekend (and that it usually runs when there is no (L) to Manhattan), but didn't hear anything about it. I did figure that maybe that was why they they made the Parsons-34th service (M) instead of (E) ((E) can be rerouted to 6th Ave. and that was done a lot); anticipating joining them together to fill in for the (L) once the lower Manhattan section reopened.

Maybe this will make people on both ends see the usefulness of 19/7 service, finally.

Archived