Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

I wish this new split service pattern on the R train would become permanent. The Bay Ridge R train is actually running perfectly now! The Bay Ridge R train service is normally so terrible, that the only 2 times that Bay Ridge service came without delays on a regular basis is when the J came to 95th after September 11th and after this tragedy. Even nicer, I believe the R train is even having a service increase in the midnight hours, as it's temporarily not being truncated to 36-95th or 59-95th during the midnight hours. The Bay Ridge R train currently doesn't have delays caused by the congestion on Queens Blvd or the merging with the N and Q at several points in Manhattan. Anyone who needs the local stops between Jay St/Metrotech & Canal St can transfer to the 2, 3, 4, 5, A and C (depending on the time of day).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But there are still R46 AA pairs, unless the MTA intends to send those down for the SIRT? Either way, I guess if anything happens on the Rockaways, the MTA wouldn't care about what happens to the R32s as opposed to some R46s.

yeah exactly, but to the TA they think its better to send the R32's down there, they sent an R42 to pitkin earlier I saw it for myself didn't have time to get a shot of it since i was on an uptown train, but the R42 was signed up as (C), plus the R32's are much easier to link up and etc. Vs an AA R46s, plus 2 R46's are OOS because of water damage at 207th st

I wish this new split service pattern on the R train would become permanent. The Bay Ridge R train is actually running perfectly now! The Bay Ridge R train service is normally so terrible, that the only 2 times that Bay Ridge service came without delays on a regular basis is when the J came to 95th after September 11th and after this tragedy. Even nicer, I believe the R train is even having a service increase in the midnight hours, as it's temporarily not being truncated to 36-95th or 59-95th during the midnight hours. The Bay Ridge R train currently doesn't have delays caused by the congestion on Queens Blvd or the merging with the N and Q at several points in Manhattan. Anyone who needs the local stops between Jay St/Metrotech & Canal St can transfer to the 2, 3, 4, 5, A and C (depending on the time of day).

i don't like it because it makes the Q local and screwes up everything past 34th, they could have had the (R) go via the bridge but i has been running much faster with this split service

OH NOES. The Q local! What's that, an extra FOUR stops? Take a cab if you can't handle it....

Dude i don't even care about the Q, i don't even live no where near it, so i really don't care if the Q is local or not, its just stupid to have the R in 2 sections while the N has nowhere to go besides 59th st, the (R) should have went via the bridge

*Before I give snowblock a stroke, I'm just saying imo and not making any proposals of what the MTA should do:

if the problem with the (R) was not enough service on the Brooklyn end, technically they could've terminated trains at Whitehall since the (W) stopped running and use that for short turns. **This of course before the storm hit.

I understand that, but I feel this is just being done spitefully because they feel the (G) has lower ridership than other lines in the system.

Well then why not run service Greenpoint-Church Avenue? Spite...

The (G) DOES have the lowest ridership compared to the other lines so it's on the bottom of the totem pole right now

...take a bus if it's that much of a damn problem, last time I checked, the B38 is running perfectly fine

*Before I give snowblock a stroke, I'm just saying imo and not making any proposals of what the MTA should do:

Dont steal other peoples jokes lol.

Is the (5) still going to Manhattan and/or Brooklyn overnight like the MTA alerts seem to suggest?

Plan 4 would add yet another overnight terminal for the (5), 149 St GC if it is not extended to Manhattan.

Maybe the Feds are footing the bill for the service restorations and the MTA is milking the moment? Just thinking/typing out loud here. Seriously, I thought the IRT (except the 1) went back to their normal patterns/frequencies?

As for Plan 4, the MTA tends not to run everything "by the book"...

Dude i don't even care about the Q, i don't even live no where near it, so i really don't care if the Q is local or not, its just stupid to have the R in 2 sections while the N has nowhere to go besides 59th st, the (R) should have went via the bridge

Then you got Three services on the Bridge instead of two..

You have a BIE and there goes your railroad..

This works fine...

Its not stupid to have the R in 2 sections. It relieves local traffic along Queens Blvd and the connection at Metrotech is important. Why send R over the bridge when there is N and Q ?

We're not closing down the subway for this storm. Just gonna be doing Plan IV.

Can't turn trains at Lorimer St, because the switch is north of the station, and the trains would not be able to clear it to change ends without going into the flood zone. You COULD turn trains at Myrtle Ave, but it would require a single pocket operation, so the TPH capacity would be cut. However, neither of these are possible if the CBTC on that line is still out of whack, which is what I've been hearing.

That could be remedied I suppose with the (L) by running half the trains to Myrtle and the other half to Broadway Junction (if not already being done using the center (J) platform for trains terminating at Broadway Junction). This would at least give (L) riders the option of switching to the (M) at Myrtle-Wyckoff and at least have some more stations open on the (M), even if those stations west of Broadway Junction only are getting half-service.

I wonder, because someone somewhere said something about then thinking it "impossible" to turn the trains at intermediate places. But that's not true, as there's both Lorimer (if the flooding doesn't reach there) and Myrtle if nothing else. (these are used frequently in G.O.s)

If that's the case, it seems like because the people closer in don't have the Manhattan connection, so nothing can be done for them; so just screw everyone else on the line. (Like those of us who need to get to Bway Jct for the other lines). So I hope it is CBTC problems, and if so, that's what they should say.

Out of curiosity, was there any CBTC equipment south/east of Broadway Junction? With the high winds, I'm surprised it wasn't damaged (or at least, too severely, so they were able to get service up and running on that leg).

That could be remedied I suppose with the (L) by running half the trains to Myrtle and the other half to Broadway Junction (if not already being done using the center (J) platform for trains terminating at Broadway Junction). This would at least give (L) riders the option of switching to the (M) at Myrtle-Wyckoff and at least have some more stations open on the (M), even if those stations west of Broadway Junction only are getting half-service.

Smh...

I guess you haven't looked at the track layout of the (L). After the double crossover at Bway Junction, the next set of switches is for the pocket track at Myrtle-Wyckoff.

But here's the kicker. The switches aren't facing towards Manhattan, so if you was to send trains from Canarsie to Myrtle-Wyckoff, you would have to do the following...

1. Fumigate the train on the Manhattan-bound platform

2. Reverse the train and relay it into the pocket track

3. Bring the train from the pocket to the Canarsie platform

4. Switch directions again and run it to Canarsie

Its too much problems than what its worth

Out of curiosity, was there any CBTC equipment south/east of Broadway Junction? With the high winds, I'm surprised it wasn't damaged (or at least, too severely, so they were able to get service up and running on that leg).

I believe the whole line is CBTC. I don't think the winds would pose too much of a problem with it, the immersion in salt water for several days, however....

The (G) DOES have the lowest ridership compared to the other lines so it's on the bottom of the totem pole right now

...take a bus if it's that much of a damn problem, last time I checked, the B38 is running perfectly fine

When 7 buses flag you trying to get home, that is not perfectly fine.

Archived