Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Naturally, it wont just be Greenpoint to Court Sq that would shut down in any upcoming G.O.s. It'll most likely be the line north of Bedford-Nostrand that will be closed off at times.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naturally, it wont just be Greenpoint to Court Sq that would shut down in any upcoming G.O.s. It'll most likely be the line north of Bedford-Nostrand that will be closed off at times.

Why do that when there are perfectly good switches at Nassau?

Who Saw On CNN The Water Gushing Down On One Of The Elevators? I think It was Amtrack Or Times Sq 42 St Im not sure. Was Times Sq Station Flood?

If the floodwaters from the storm surge got to 42nd street and 7th ave we'd have way, way bigger problems than subway shutdowns. Yes, obviously the hurricane brought rain as well but not particularly very much compared to the billions of gallons in storm surge that hit the immediate costal spots.

I think the picture/video you're talking about is the Hoboken Path station, shown here.

ht_hoboken_path_station_flooding_ll_121029_wblog.jpg

I can just speculate on why the N is not running to Coney Island and I think it may have to do with the entrance to the two Coney Island yards. The D train enters the first yard from Coney Island with only one switch after the bridge on the northbound track. The entrance to the main yard is either before or after the Bay 50th Street Station when the line is elevated.

The N line has one entrance to the first yard from the southbound track and an entrance to the main yard from the northbound track. It is here that there is a complex set of switches and signals that lead to the main yard, The second entrance is from the yard to where the N line becomes three tracks (later four) as it enters the 86th Street Station. All of these entrances to the yard are on ground level. The picture of the 86th Street Station with the water above the platformwas taken just north of the switching point. One should bear in mind that the water reached Avenue U and most likely beyond there to Kings Highway or above.

I glanced through one of James Clifford Greller's great books "Brooklyn Trolley Cars from the BRT to the B&QT" and came across a picture that may help to explain what happened to the Coney Island yard and the sorrounding area. On page 57 there is a picture of a Gravesend Avenue Trolley Car crossing Coney Island Creek early in the last century. In looking at the map done by Alan Paul Kahn on page 319, Coney Island Creek extended all the way east to beyond Coney Island Avenue in 1904. This area has been filled in as the end of the creek is now Shell Road. It is quite possible that the storm surge came through the creek as well as Gravesend Bay and the Ocean and thus the high level of flooding.

Archived