Why does Q44 change drivers at Main St Terminal?

alekr

Whenever I ride the Q44 I noticed drivers tend to switch with other drivers at Main Street. Why some Q44 runs requires switching drivers? Sometimes doesn't switch driving full route sometimes switching at Main Street. Anybody knows the reason behind this?

Whenever I ride the Q44 I noticed drivers tend to switch with other drivers at Main Street. Why some Q44 runs requires switching drivers? Sometimes doesn't switch driving full route sometimes switching at Main Street. Anybody knows the reason behind this?

Relief Operators

Thats why you sometimes see that happining.

Plus the Q44 is from Casey Stengal Depot which is closest to Main & Roosevelt.

I know there's relief's that occur near the JAM Depot for the Q4, Q5, Q84, Q85 after the driver's shift ends and I believe it still happens. But yeah, reliefs are B/O's whom come in whenever a B/O (that had already been on the road prior) concludes his/her run as assigned. This usually happens near or just not too far off from the respective depot (AFAIK) thus making it easier for relief to take over the position.

I'm sorry what is a relief operator?

It's not always necessary for an operator to return the bus to the depot at the end of the shift. The operator beginning a shift goes to a "relief" point and takes over the bus. The operator going off shift returns to the depot without a bus.

The distrance from the route to the depot determines if an operator has to pull out or bus or can go to a relief point.

You know it's funny that alekr brought this up. I rarely see this anymore. Back in the old days it was pretty common on some routes. It used to suck too because the relief sometimes wouldn't be ready right away, so you have to sit there and wait.

It happens quite a lot on the M60, at 125th Street and 2nd Avenue. Actually, its happened every time I've taken the M60.

M2 110 Street and Lenox Avenue

M3 168 Street and Saint Nicholas

M4 133 Street and Broadway

M5 135 Street and Broadway

M7 and 10 116 Street and 8 Avenue

Bx19 Southern Boulevard and Tremont Avenue (145 and Lenox when it was out of MCH)

Bx36 Boston Road and Tremont Avenue

Bx1 and 2 Grand Concourse and Fordham Road

Bx7 Broadway and 218 Street

Bx9 225 Street and Broadway

Its pretty much a relay race with a bus. A driver would do a few trips and then stop at a designated area along the line (relief point), so the next driver could take over and finish the trip. Almost all routes have a relief point at one point or another. Here's an example...

Driver A is doing the B35. After a few trips, he pulls up to the relief point (in this case, its 39 St & 5 Av) and gets off the bus for his break or to end his shift. While driver A is getting off the bus (the bus is still running and there's people on the bus), driver B comes along and gets on the same bus (either coming off his break or starting his shift), and continues the trip, and the rest of his day.

These points may be outdated:

M15 126 depot

M31 York & 92nd

M35 2nd Ave & 125t Street

M57 B'way & 72nd

M9 Union Square

M20 41st Street & 7th or 8th Avenues

M42 12th Ave & 42nd Street

B44 Flatbush & Nostrand Aves

B20 ENY depot

B82 Rockaway Parkway Subway

B64 Ulmer Park Depot