New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

Oh its not just mobile ticket that required scanning, most drivers (at least the ones I ridden) require you to scan your paper one way ticket as well. You would scan it, and then they would collect it.

On the rail side, conductors also have scanners, I wonder what happen to people who still have tickets from years ago that didn't have a QR code (I still have one)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Oh its not just mobile ticket that required scanning, most drivers (at least the ones I ridden) require you to scan your paper one way ticket as well. You would scan it, and then they would collect it.

On the rail side, conductors also have scanners, I wonder what happen to people who still have tickets from years ago that didn't have a QR code (I still have one)

The tickets without the QR code for rail are no longer valid

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Service Adjustments for Jersey City Marathon – Sunday, April 23, 2023

The Jersey City Marathon and Half Marathon will be held Sunday, April 23, 2023, in Jersey City. The route of the marathon will require modified service on Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) from 6AM until approximately 2PM as follows:

Service will NOT operate between Liberty State Park (LSP) and Jersey Avenue stations, and between Harborside and Harsimus Cove stations.

Trains WILL operate between 8th Street and LSP stations:

Northbound departures every 20 minutes from 8th Street at :09, :29, :49

Southbound departures every 20 minutes from LSP at :07, :27, :47

Trains WILL operate between West Side Avenue and Liberty State Park stations:

Northbound departures every 20 minutes from West Side Avenue at :08, :28, :48

Southbound departures every 20 minutes from LSP at :02, :22, :42

Trains WILL operate between Tonnelle Avenue and Harsimus Cove stations:

Northbound departures every 30 minutes from Harsimus Cove at :07, :37

Southbound departures every 30 minutes from Tonnelle Avenue at :02, :32

Trains WILL operate between Harsimus Cove and Hoboken stations:

Northbound departures every 30 minutes from Harsimus Cove at :19, :49

Southbound departures every 30 minutes from Hoboken at :05, :35

Shuttle trains WILL operate between Jersey Avenue, Marin Boulevard, Essex Street, Exchange Place, and Harborside Stations (shuttles will operate on load & go basis.

NOTE: No substitute busing will be available between Liberty State Park and Jersey Avenue stations, and between Harborside and Harsimus Cove stations except for ADA trips – all other customers must walk between these stations to resume their travel. Please allow for extra travel time, including walking to and from stations during the marathon.

Normal HBLR service is scheduled to resume at approximately 2PM, or when the New Jersey Transit Police Department determines it is safe to do so. 

hmmm

looks like 81L going to JSQ 4 am-4pm

Bus Detour for No. 81 in Jersey City - Sunday, April 23, 2023

On Sunday, April 23, from 4AM to 4PM, Ocean Avenue, Grand Street, and Christopher Columbus Drive will be closed between Bramhall Avenue and Exhange Place due to the Jersey City Marathon. During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 81 in Jersey City will operate on a detour as follows:

Buses traveling toward Exchange Place will travel from Ocean and Bramhall avenues, make a left on Bramhall Avenue, right on Bergen Avenue, right on Montgomery Street, left on Summit Avenue, left on Sip Avenue, right at Journal Square (lane C), and then continue the regular route.

Buses traveling toward Bayonne will travel from Journal Square, make a left on Pavonia Avenue, left on Bergen Avenue, left on Bramhall Avenue, right on Ocean Avenue, and then continue the regular route.

Note: Bus stops may be lost during this detour. Please read the above detour directions carefully, and allow for extra travel time.

looks like all busses will short turn

On Sunday, April 23, from 4AM to 4PM, Bus Route No. 80 will not operate on Newark Avenue between Monmouth Street and Exchange Place due to the Jersey City Marathon.

During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 80 will operate on a detour as follows:

Buses traveling toward Exchange Place will travel from Newark Avenue and Fifth Street, make a left on Fifth Street, right on Brunswick Street, right on Newark Avenue, and then end the trip at Newark Avenue between Brunswick Street and Fifth Street.

Buses traveling toward Gates Avenue will travel from Newark Avenue between Brunswick Street and Fifth Street, continue on Newark Avenue, and then continue the regular route.

Bus stops will be lost and delays are expected during this detour. Please read the above detour directions carefully, and allow for extra travel time.

On  Sunday, April 23, from 4AM to 4PM, Communipaw Avenue, Grant Street, and Pacific Avenue will be closed between West Side Avenue and Exchange Place for the Jersey City Marathon. During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 1 in Jersey City will operate on a detour as follows:

Buses traveling toward Exchange Place will travel from Communipaw and West Side avenues, make a left on West Side Avenue, and then continue the regular route to Journal Square.

Buses traveling toward Newark will travel from Journal Square and then continue the regular route to Newark.

Note: Bus stops may be lost during this detour. Please read the above detour directions carefully, and allow for extra travel time.

On Sunday, April 23, from 4AM to 4PM, Bus Route No. 86 will not operate on Newark Avenue between Monmouth Street and Washington Boulevard due to the Jersey City Marathon.

During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 86 will operate on a detour as follows:

Buses traveling toward Jersey City will travel from Palisade Avenue and Rt. 139, left on Rt. 139, right on Jersey Avenue, left on 9th Street, right on McWilliams Place, right on 8th Street, end of trip at 8th Street.

Buses traveling toward Union City will travel from 8th Street and West Hamilton Place, make a right on West Hamilton Place, right o n 9th Street, left on Jersey Avenue, right on 10th Street, left on Erie Street, left on Rt. 139, right on Palisade Avenue, and then continue the regular route.

Bus stops will be lost and delays are expected during this detour. Please read the above detour directions carefully, and allow for extra travel time.

Edited by nightmare402

On 4/17/2023 at 3:31 AM, Mtatransit said:

I had a zone 8 ticket for the #114 without a QR code that I not too long ago ripped up & threw away.

As a lifelong rider of 166, I am very happy to see off peak addition of 166T in both direction, especially the last 166T on Saturday is at 11:50 PM.

Also, many Oradell bus operators seem to add the decamp destination sign, on top of their run.

i.e.: 166: New York Local -> 191D New York Express 

11 hours ago, FlashThunder said:

Also, many Oradell bus operators seem to add the decamp destination sign, on top of their run.

i.e.: 166: New York Local -> 191D New York Express 

The DeCamp signs that you saw were added as a “P/R” code (for example: Standing Room Only”, Welcome NJ Transit The Way To Go”) until they could be added as primary destination signs

56 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

why?

22 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

Not sure about that.  
@553 Bridgeton?

They have to add each stop in the clever device for those legs. They are only running as extra trips in the 900 series run numbers. They will be all added for the summer pick and to the mybus app. 

On 4/23/2023 at 5:15 PM, Lawrence St said:

I was talking with an operator on the 319 who broke down in Ocean City and the control centers weren't updating each other on what was going on and they yelled at the driver. You can't make this stuff up.

Idiots work in control then blame the driver. 

Peep this:

Preface: Took the full #831 (between Long Branch RR & Red Bank RR), with the intent to xfer to the #834.... Said #834 just left Red Bank, as the #831 I was on, was pulling into Red Bank.... So I missed the connection; it happens.... Wasn't going to wait another hour for the next #834, so checking the schedule for the trains, I see that the next NY bound train was set to arrive in 13 mins... No problem.... So at one of the TVM's, I bought a ticket for Secaucus Junction... Train eventually comes, I board, and at Hazlet, the c/r scans my ticket, punches 3 holes on the right side of the ticket, as well as at the very top right of the ticket (since I was getting off at Secaucus Junction).... After stalling at Aberdeen-Matawan for 14 mins. for whatever reason, we eventually get to Secaucus Junction.... NONE of what I'm saying here in this paragraph I'm miffed at.

Issue: So I get off the train at Secaucus Junction, make my way to the retracting gates.... With the ticket I purchased at Red Bank (Red Bank - Secaucus Junction), I tried scanning that to open up the gates, so I can exit the station (as in, to get to street level).... Scanner kept rejecting the ticket (tried about 5 or 6 times); said something to the effect of, ticket already used.... Some agent of some sort eventually noticed me, and asked where I was going... I told him "I'm just trying to exit the station"... He took my ticket, scanned it, then scanned a pass he had (only words I noticed on it were "Agent"), and then the gates opened.... He then said "you already used this ticket.... go ahead"... With the armed guards (there were about 4 or 5 of them, didn't bother counting) watching, I just kept shaking my head, and power-walked my way to the waiting #2 bus.... As I was shaking my head, I heard chuckling... I threw up my hands & continued walking towards the escalators.... Stupid shit.

So I ask, what is the point of having to scan the ticket to EXIT the station? Especially when the ticket is going to end up getting scanned by the conductor on the train you just got off of (apparently invalidating the ticket)....

At some point when the Metrocards get phased out, I presume PATH will go down this "path" with the scanning of shit... But right now, the dipping of the metrocard to exit JSQ, Newark-Penn, etc., I take no issue with.

Edited by B35 via Church

I've used tickets to Secaucus that have been scanned by conductors and never had this problem, I don't think this is intended behavior, probably just the turnstile glitching out. It's irritating to be accused of fare evading when it's not what you did but ultimately they just let you out and there was no harm done...

35 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I've used tickets to Secaucus that have been scanned by conductors and never had this problem, I don't think this is intended behavior, probably just the turnstile glitching out. It's irritating to be accused of fare evading when it's not what you did but ultimately they just let you out and there was no harm done...

I tried 3 different gates/turnstiles... Kept getting the same error.

FTR, I wasn't irritated at any one, I was irritated at the thought/instance of getting denied an exit from a RR station...

Edited by B35 via Church

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

FTR, I wasn't irritated at any one, I was irritated at the thought/instance of getting denied an exit from a RR station...

I was never a fan of having to pay to exit a train station.

Reminds me the first time I took the (SIR) and was confused af that I had to pay to exit at Tompkinsville.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That’s messed up.  I’m sorry that happened to you.  Good that you got some kind of assistance, not being able to get out isn’t a good feeling at all

On 4/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, B35 via Church said:

It's strange but if they didn't do that then hardly anybody would pay between NY and Secaucus. Would be like the HBLR on the honor system lol