Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

8 hours ago, The Batcave said:

It's not a rumor. A TSS told me today and I came here to see if there was talk about it.

Ok, go back this thread and see how many times TSS told people on these forums the same exact thing they told you and it was b.s. TSS know as much as you and I do, believe me. 

Actually, lets revisit this post in a few months and see. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/26/2019 at 3:46 AM, Far Rock Depot said:

I've seen the letter from a member of the MTA Board to NYCT from about two months back or so. Yes,  there is a hiring freeze but don't get sad everyone.  The freeze doesn't include safety sensitive positions.  Train Crews are safety sensitive. And as to the sparatic classes in the last year,  I remember reading somewhere that they are short on instructors.  If someone can correct me on the last part please do.   But as far as the hiring freeze,  Schecter is correct.   I've seen the actual letter stating this. 

I've also heard of the hiring freeze for all positions. But now I have also heard numerous times they are short on t/o. Best thing is to call 180 Livingston and find out. Nothing about Transit is consistent. First thing they'll tell you in  school car is dont worry about what "they" said.  You'll hear a lot of "They said" but listening to them wont help you. If it ain't come from TA, it ain't fact. Find out for yourself. Keep an eye out for calls and letters. Remember if you miss one, it doesnt mean you missed out. 

10 minutes ago, Toba817 said:

Hey everyone, I have a random question that I have been meaning to ask. How does the conductor know to hold a train in the station? Are there indicators, or get radio comm from the t/o? 

Usually the amber lights at the station tell them to stay at the station and most likely the t/o tells the conductor not to close the doors yet. Since he cant see if the light in front of the train is red green or yellow.

Edited by Schecter

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

Hey everyone, I have a random question that I have been meaning to ask. How does the conductor know to hold a train in the station? Are there indicators, or get radio comm from the t/o? 

Radio comm, 3 amber lights in the station, leaving signal is at danger, or 1 buzz from the T/O after the doors have opened.

Remember this one thing: you (C/R) and the T/O are two separate job titles. The T/O does not tell you how to do your job, and you don't tell the T/O how to do their job. 

5 minutes ago, kellgh said:

Radio comm, 3 amber lights in the station, leaving signal is at danger, or 1 buzz from the T/O after the doors have opened.

Remember this one thing: you (C/R) and the T/O are two separate job titles. The T/O does not tell you how to do your job, and you don't tell the T/O how to do their job. 

What do you mean that leaving signal is at danger, and if the t/o buzzes once then we can close the doors and do we always have to wait for the t/o to buzz?

11 minutes ago, kellgh said:

Stations like Suphtin Blvd and Jamaica van Wyck don't have lights on the stations, hence why I asked. 

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

As everyone said, there are different ways. Most notably would be the holding lights (Amber lights) will be illuminated. For places that don't have holding lights, be governed by the local tower, i.e. Kew tower for Briarwood, Sutphin, and Jamaica Van Wyck. They can also hold you because they gave you a push out of the terminal.

In most stations, you can see the signal at the leaving end of the station. If it's red, leave it open. Yellow you can close unless your partner gives you a buzz

15 minutes ago, Schecter said:

What do you mean that leaving signal is at danger, and if the t/o buzzes once then we can close the doors and do we always have to wait for the t/o to buzz?

When a signal at the front of the station,  the first one you pass when leaving a station,  is red.  That what leaving signal at red means. 

When your doors are open in a station,  and the T/O buzzes you once,  that means leave the doors open and then when they give you two buzzes,  close them.  No,  it's not at every station. Only when the T/O needs you to keep the doors open at a station.   BTW,  all of this,  and more,  is taught to you in school car.  They really do go thru everything with you. 

3 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

As everyone said, there are different ways. Most notably would be the holding lights (Amber lights) will be illuminated. For places that don't have holding lights, be governed by the local tower, i.e. Kew tower for Briarwood, Sutphin, and Jamaica Van Wyck. They can also hold you because they gave you a push out of the terminal.

In most stations, you can see the signal at the leaving end of the station. If it's red, leave it open. Yellow you can close unless your partner gives you a buzz

Haven’t seen you post in a while, how have things been for you? I’m sure you’re relieved to be off probation now. I’m right behind you I hit 10 months in a couple of days. 

I can’t wait to get the hell out of the A division I really wished I didn’t get forced here. 

9 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Go back to midnights you pleb. 

2 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Haven’t seen you post in a while, how have things been for you? I’m sure you’re relieved to be off probation now. I’m right behind you I hit 10 months in a couple of days. 

I can’t wait to get the hell out of the A division I really wished I didn’t get forced here. 

Lol it's all good. Been busy working the Midnight's but now I'm on PM's. Actually going in now. Congrats. Soon you won't have to be evaluated by TSS almost everyday.

23 minutes ago, Toba817 said:

Stations like Suphtin Blvd and Jamaica van Wyck don't have lights on the stations, hence why I asked. 

You can also look out of the other window. Usually the leaving signal leaves a reflection on the body of the train.

Some T/Os don't like to move on yellow b/c yellow usually means red is the following signal. Why be stuck outside the station, when you could be stuck in a station?

6 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Surprised you didn't go to a B division pick location

7 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

One of my classmates bid on a B division job, and came back.

Bid sheets are out, so bid on a few B division jobs. You'll have to go to schoolcar to train in B division equipment and post on the B division lines if you already haven't, but yeah. You can get out. 

20 minutes ago, kellgh said:

One of my classmates bid on a B division job, and came back.

Bid sheets are out, so bid on a few B division jobs. You'll have to go to schoolcar to train in B division equipment and post on the B division lines if you already haven't, but yeah. You can get out. 

You’re in the A division also? When I asked the crew office how could I transfer over they told me you have to be able to pick a job first to transfer divisions. Don't know if it’s possible via bid shits, but I’ll ask around tomorrow. 

@Angel I missed the pick. Still xx this pick. 

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

You’re in the A division also? When I asked the crew office how could I transfer over they told me you have to be able to pick a job first to transfer divisions. Don't know if it’s possible via bid shits, but I’ll ask around tomorrow. 

@Angel I missed the pick. Still xx this pick. 

@kellgh is in the B division. She was in my class 😂

And it's all good. What's your XX list number?

• Harry featured this topic
31 minutes ago, Jay0989 said:

Was advised today that there is a freeze but not for operational employees (ie. conductor, t/o). Hoping for a class soon. 

You and I both I'm stuck doing security until MTA calls my list number then I'm out lol I'm in the mid 1400s so hopefully they start calling for classes soon only 100 plus people until they reach my number!!

Edited by Schecter

Just curious, maybe you guys can help me out with these questions

1. What would make MTA not consider you as a candidate?
  2. What are the remaining steps after PE? I'm currently still waiting to receive my first PE letter, list number in the #1800 range 
  3. In your opinion what division allows you to get the most OT? I'm 23 years old with no kids or big responsibilities, hoping to do tons of OT over my first couple of years

4 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Just curious, maybe you guys can help me out with these questions

1. What would make MTA not consider you as a candidate?
  2. What are the remaining steps after PE? I'm currently still waiting to receive my first PE letter, list number in the #1800 range 
  3. In your opinion what division allows you to get the most OT? I'm 23 years old with no kids or big responsibilities, hoping to do tons of OT over my first couple of years

1. If you fail the drug test, lie on your pre-employment paperwork or otherwise give them a reason to not hire or fire you.

2. After PE, they will call you back for the medical. It's the typical hearing, vision, EKG, urine, body movement, sleep apnea, etc. Pass medical and you will go through final processing to finish up and be sent to training. 

3. That I can't speak on but you definitely will be making more than base salary. 

8 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

1. If you fail the drug test, lie on your pre-employment paperwork or otherwise give them a reason to not hire or fire you.

2. After PE, they will call you back for the medical. It's the typical hearing, vision, EKG, urine, body movement, sleep apnea, etc. Pass medical and you will go through final processing to finish up and be sent to training. 

3. That I can't speak on but you definitely will be making more than base salary. 

Stupid question but how do they determine if you have sleep apnea lol? 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Stupid question but how do they determine if you have sleep apnea lol? 

They will send you for testing based on your weight, neck size, ekg results, questionnaire responses appear alarming.

Also, it's not advised you do too much OT in your first yr... people say it increases your chances of getting in trouble. Could be superstition, could not