New express bus service: MTA continues to answer riders' concerns

Lil 57

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

A commuter express network should not consist of route{s} that purposely entail people having to transfer; that defeats the purpose AFAIC.... I STRONGLY believe if the space existed to do so, this new redesign would have had a shitstorm of buses running via Brooklyn dumping people off in Lower Manhattan; FDR be damned.... The via NJ routes, left to directly serving Midtown..... The x1 cut that had buses ending at 23rd, opened Pandora's box (so to speak) to this redesign & the planner{s} involved took that & ran off with it IMO....

There's positives sprinkled in the mix, but the execution of the general focal point of the redesign I'm not in favor of....

The MTA continues to quote-unquote answer rider's concerns, but from a macro standpoint, the damage has been done....

This is my problem with this redesign. If you want to have more direct Midtown service and more direct Downtown service, that's fine, but what they're doing now is absurd, and to advocate for more people transferring to a subway system that can't handle it is even more absurd.  As you know, the whole reason for express buses in the first place was to eliminate the two fare system and provide a faster DIRECT commute for passengers. 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

"You DON’T know me at all. I’ll leave it at that. "

Lol.

You don't know me either. Aside from meeting with him and BrooklynBus on a monthly basis for about two years now, we were in City College together.

But hey, keep on doing your thing.

Well I guess I have met all three of you. Just read this thread today for the first time because express buses aren't really my thing. Garibaldi, I think you have been unfair about some of the things you said about Checkmate. He has my utmost confidence in anything he says related to Staten Island and I wouldn't think for one minute that the us only interested in his own neighborhood. 

That is just something people say to deflect from the issues being discussed. The exact thing has been said about me and it isn't true either. 

All that aside, Garibaldi has also made some very valid comments like you shouldn't design express bus routes for people to transfer. (I could only justify that if it were the last five miles and there are very few passengers left on the bus.) 

So I really don't understand what all these arguments are about.  We are all on the same side and I think we can agree that in spite of whatever good intentions the MTA may have had, they have done a rotten job with the express bus redesign and need to fix the problems and learn from it so they don't repeat the same mistakes when they look at the other bus routes. They also need to be honest and not lie and to help assuming that if only one person brings up an issue, it is unimportant and they will only deal with problems that many people have. Every issue needs to be looked into fairly. That doesn't mean they have to take everyone's suggestion. 

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Well I guess I have met all three of you. Just read this thread today for the first time because express buses aren't really my thing. Garibaldi, I think you have been unfair about some of the things you said about Checkmate. He has my utmost confidence in anything he says related to Staten Island and I wouldn't think for one minute that the us only interested in his own neighborhood. 

That is just something people say to deflect from the issues being discussed. The exact thing has been said about me and it isn't true either. 

All that aside, Garibaldi has also made some very valid comments like you shouldn't design express bus routes for people to transfer. (I could only justify that if it were the last five miles and there are very few passengers left on the bus.) 

So I really don't understand what all these arguments are about.  We are all on the same side and I think we can agree that in spite of whatever good intentions the MTA may have had, they have done a rotten job with the express bus redesign and need to fix the problems and learn from it so they don't repeat the same mistakes when they look at the other bus routes. They also need to be honest and not lie and to help assuming that if only one person brings up an issue, it is unimportant and they will only deal with problems that many people have. Every issue needs to be looked into fairly. That doesn't mean they have to take everyone's suggestion. 

If he is then he needs to start acting like it then.  One thing he has been adamant about from the time he started posting here is this idea that (MTA) is going to take any monies that they save and reinvest into better service. That is simply NOT going to happen. The sooner he accepts this, the better off he would be.  It's better to ask for as much as possible from the (MTA) and get what you can from them, especially these days, as they are becoming stinger by the day with service.  If this is their version of a re-design, all of the boroughs are in for hell.  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If he is then he needs to start acting like it then.  One thing he has been adamant about from the time he started posting here is this idea that (MTA) is going to take any monies that they save and reinvest into better service. That is simply NOT going to happen. The sooner he accepts this, the better off he would be.  It's better to ask for as much as possible from the (MTA) and get what you can from them, especially these days, as they are becoming stinger by the day with service.  If this is their version of a re-design, all of the boroughs are in for hell.  

I agree with you that all of the boroughs are in for hell. But I can't agree with the strategy of asking what you can get from them. The idea that the (MTA) is going to reinvest into better service is what they should do and what they have claimed to have done with the Q22.

I can't fault him for advocating that. If you don't believe they intend to do that, and I sort of agree with you on that, you are really saying that they are just a bunch of liars and don't mean what they say. I can't disagree with that either. 

But as I said before, I think Byford means well and wants to provide improved service. He just doesn't know how to do that and is making the mistake of listening to the same folks who have caused the problems we have. Usually, when a new guy comes in they bring with them people they can trust who had already worked with them. As far as I know, the only new person is someone in charge of community relations. The bus people in Ops Planning are just not competent to understand the problems and they are arrogant enough to believe they know everything. So how could they solve the problems?

Although I frequently have disagreements with B35 via Church and we don't always agree on solutions , I will say it again. His knowledge of the bus system and its problems, is greater than the entire Operations Planning put together. 

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I agree with you that all of the boroughs are in for hell. But I can't agree with the strategy of asking what you can get from them. The idea that the (MTA) is going to reinvest into better service is what they should do and what they have claimed to have done with the Q22.

I can't fault him for advocating that. If you don't believe they intend to do that, and I sort of agree with you on that, you are really saying that they are just a bunch of liars and don't mean what they say. I can't disagree with that either. 

But as I said before, I think Byford means well and wants to provide improved service. He just doesn't know how to do that and is making the mistake of listening to the same folks who have caused the problems we have. Usually, when a new guy comes in they bring with them people they can trust who had already worked with them. As far as I know, the only new person is someone in charge of community relations. The bus people in Ops Planning are just not competent to understand the problems and they are arrogant enough to believe they know everything. So how could they solve the problems?

Although I frequently have disagreements with B35 via Church and we don't always agree on solutions , I will say it again. His knowledge of the bus system and its problems, is greater than the entire Operations Planning put together. 

He should be offered a job with the (MTA) but who in the right minds would want to work for such a disorganized agency? :lol:

As for your other points, yes, we understand each other on every point you've made and I fully agree.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

He should be offered a job with the (MTA) but who in the right minds would want to work for such a disorganized agency? :lol:

As for your other points, yes, we understand each other on every point you've made and I fully agree.

He previously stated he couldn't be happy with a 9 to 5 job inside. You are right if they know who he is, he should be offered some type of employment. And you are also correct by saying who in his right mind  would want to work for such an agency? 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yes, it started yesterday. It was first mentioned in that Vtrain thread that mysteriously disappeared (not that that's a bad thing though).

Yeah, they are starting to fix up things and make accommodations already. This is the first time and nothing is ever bound to be perfect at first pitch, not going to lie, they could've done better but it's a natural mistake in other aspects. Hopefully this service serves as a learning lesson for the (MTA) when they begin on the redesign of other boroughs, and that hopefully we will be able to be more involved in the process. I agree with BrooklynBus, Byford does mean well, he strives for better service and communication, it's just the group of people that surrounds him that need to be sweeped off and replaced with a competent team. It is about time there is a huge sweep with the MTA Board, Hire Ups, and Leadership. Those @$$holes are the ones that are making Byford and his team contain themselves in some situations.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

SO did anyone else notice that the SIM6 now serves Lexington during the rush?

What was the point of all those "community input" meetings if everything has to be changed again after the fact?  Did MTA staffers ignore the community's wishes, or did the community lie about its wishes?

16 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

What was the point of all those "community input" meetings if everything has to be changed again after the fact?  Did MTA staffers ignore the community's wishes, or did the community lie about its wishes?

Simple. The (MTA) did NOT listen to the community and they're liars and incompetent, as I've been saying now for years.

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Oh, NOW you're questioning the point of these meetings....

What happened to you telling people in the Queens bus proposals thread:

Here's a better idea... 

Wait for the bus network redesign to reach Queens, then go to the meetings and present your ideas there.

I've heard from multiple sources that they will have a new pick in October (I guess they want to see what further changes are needed in September. Then from what I understand they give 2 weeks for the B/Os to review the schedules and 2 weeks to pick their schedules). They realize that the schedules need to be completely redone, and there's too many issues to keep doing piecemeal changes like they were for the first few days.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:46 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LOL... Pretty funny... On occasion we get the obnoxious white trash teens. They come and squeeze me up, so I kick the living crap out of their chair to send them a message. Seriously... A 00:00 bus... There is no reason to come sitting in front of me reclining both seats when there are plenty of other seats open.  Get lost. Years ago I had a regular who I would sit behind on the BxM1. Ever since then I rarely sit behind someone, and if I do they know the routine. Either I push up the chair in front of me or they will and absolutely NO reclining on my damn legs. That’s an unwritten rule on the express bus. If you’re going to recline you do so in the other seat.

I also have no problem telling people to shut up either. If they’re a regular and like to yap, I will inform them nicely. The non-regulars are just rude so you have to confront them in a harsh manner. I’ve also been confronting the people that INSIST on paying with coins and doing so VERY slowly. We had a guy on the BxM2 the other night. I’m waiting to get on with my Whole Foods bags. The guy gets on and starts up this whole conversation about his Metrocard. I had to interrupt. I told him, can we move this along already? I’d like to get home! Then he told me to watch my language, so I hurled a few bombs his way when he made a few other remarks. The B/O asks me to settle down and I yell LET’S GO! This is supposed to be EXPRESS service. $6.50 for this ****. lol The driver has had me plenty of times too and I have never exploded like that but my point was made. It isn’t rush hour. It’s late and I wanna get home. Drive the damn bus!!

Welcome to another world. This isn’t 🍔 👑. 👈🚫 have things go your way all the time. That’s being selfish & greedy. Man up! Get over it! Just 🐝 patient, and you can get 🏠 in one piece. 

12 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I've heard from multiple sources that they will have a new pick in October (I guess they want to see what further changes are needed in September. Then from what I understand they give 2 weeks for the B/Os to review the schedules and 2 weeks to pick their schedules). They realize that the schedules need to be completely redone, and there's too many issues to keep doing piecemeal changes like they were for the first few days.

I can understand the need to fine tune, but the amount of necessary changes is ridiculous. 

There is a sign on every “MTA BUS” whether it is a 40/45/60/62’ Bus, it clearly says in White & blue ink: PLEASE DO NOT TALK TO THE OPERATOR WHILE BUS IS IN MOTION! Why do people see that as a problem these days? If a car driver can talk to his/her passengers while the vehicle is in motion, so can the drivers. Some feel that they’re bored with themselves, so they pull someone (most of the time it’s on weekends) out of the blue and starts to talk. And still pay attention to the road ahead of them. 

21 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

There is a sign on every “MTA BUS” whether it is a 40/45/60/62’ Bus, it clearly says in White & blue ink: PLEASE DO NOT TALK TO THE OPERATOR WHILE BUS IS IN MOTION! Why do people see that as a problem these days? If a car driver can talk to his/her passengers while the vehicle is in motion, so can the drivers. Some feel that they’re bored with themselves, so they pull someone (most of the time it’s on weekends) out of the blue and starts to talk. And still pay attention to the road ahead of them. 

They are capable of doing so for sure from what I experienced. I assume the sign helps discourage too many people from speaking or yelling at the bus driver (which could be a distraction), and I suppose it’s there to also remind people there on a bus. Where they really don’t need to interact or talk with the driver who’s taking them there. Not everybody goes onto the bus to hear a story or talk with the bus driver anyways. In the end, I have no problem with it so long as the drivers focus on the road.

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Welcome to another world. This isn’t 🍔 👑. 👈🚫 have things go your way all the time. That’s being selfish & greedy. Man up! Get over it! Just 🐝 patient, and you can get 🏠 in one piece. 

Right, but holding everyone else up on the bus isn’t.  The proper thing to do is to step to the side, let other passengers board, and keep it moving. Whatever the issue is, the bus doesn’t need to sit while he goes on and on about a Metrocard. 

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Staten Island Division special pick in October???

Hopefully more SIM buses could be rolling down Lex Avenue. 3 SIM lines is simply not enough.

This has to be the worse blunder that for the (MTA) . 

23 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hopefully more SIM buses could be rolling down Lex Avenue. 3 SIM lines is simply not enough.

It's nothing special. The reason for the pick is because they have to finalize all these added trips in house and get them reflected on the public facing schedules. Leaving it as extra work is straining bus availability. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

There's talks about it, but nothing final yet.

44 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

It's nothing special. The reason for the pick is because they have to finalize all these added trips in house and get them reflected on the public facing schedules. Leaving it as extra work is straining bus availability. 

Exactly adding the extra express trips now don't help anything cause it's taking away from everywhere else.

If the union dues go through with it, must be because we're getting something good in return.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'm thinking, would it be beneficial to run the Lexington Ave buses up 3rd instead of Madison? 3rd is closer to Lexington than Madison. People won't have to walk all the way to Lexington to go to work on the east side.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The old system only had the X2/5 and the X22/22A/31 running down Lexington. 5th is more centralized than Lexington, so if anything is moved to Lexington, it needs an equivalent on 5th Avenue that covers the same general area (that's why they picked the routes they did. The SIM6 has the SIM10 covering the Hylan corridor, the SIM22 has the SIM8/23/24/25 covering the South Shore, and the SIM26 has the SIM25). You're not going to be able to serve the passengers exactly like you did previously, but at least the general areas were covered.

But yeah. the SIM6 basically matches the old X5, the SIM22 matches the old X21, and the SIM26 matches the old X22/22A (most of the complaints were from SIM6/Hylan Blvd riders, though. As I said, I think the SIM22/26 were moved just to have fewer buses making the turn from 5th Avenue to 42nd Street).

The thing that really worries me is the left turn from 57th Street onto Lexington Avenue. From what I understand (I haven't been in the area to check), SIM22/26 buses make a nearside stop at 57th & Lexington, and then turn left onto Lexington, which sounds extremely unsafe (the East Side buses used to either start at Park Avenue in the PM and make a right, or start at 3rd Avenue further back, get into the left lane, and make a stop at the far side of Lexington & 56th). The X21 used to start at the UN, so it just ran straight down 42nd Street.

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Have they used up all their extra operators and buses yet? They still haven't addressed all of the span/frequency issues and the peak/off-peak service gaps.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm thinking, would it be beneficial to run the Lexington Ave buses up 3rd instead of Madison? 3rd is closer to Lexington than Madison. People won't have to walk all the way to Lexington to go to work on the east side.

That's not a bad idea, but I think they were worried that there would be backlash from the people who formerly got off along Madison. But I agree that having inbound buses run up 3rd & 6th is a little more balanced than having them run up Madison & 6th (referring to the SIM6). The old X22 went up Madison, so that should stay on Madison, but the X21/SIM22 up 3rd wouldn't be a bad idea.

Archived