The Official Bee-Line Thread

Lawrence St

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to mention this, but I seen an artic on the 61 to Port Chester the other day, funny seeing a route with hour headways use an articulated bus...

Classic Bee Line move, adding articulated on low frequency routes so they would not have to increase service on them

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Wednesday, I had the benefit of listening to Westchester's transportation planning director discuss Bee-Line and the ongoing bus redesign in a graduate school guest lecture.

There are some really, really cool things that Bee-Line is looking at, but I'm not going to specify, since the information is not supposed to be public... yet.

I can however tell that weekend ridership on Bee-Line is nearly back to normal and that overall ridership is roughly three-fourths of what it was pre-pandemic.

Edited by 67thAve

1 hour ago, 67thAve said:

On Wednesday, I had the benefit of listening to Westchester's transportation planning director discuss Bee-Line and the ongoing bus redesign in a graduate school guest lecture.

There are some really, really cool things that Bee-Line is looking at, but I'm not going to specify, since the information is not supposed to be public... yet.

I can however tell that weekend ridership on Bee-Line is nearly back to normal and that overall ridership is roughly three-fourths of what it was pre-pandemic.

Like what? Any route discontinuations or combos?

6 hours ago, 67thAve said:

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Like what? Any route discontinuations or combos?

There's your answer.

8 minutes ago, 67thAve said:

I chose not to respond because it wouldn't properly answer your question.

I get that, but if a planner is telling you this in a public setting that I'm not sure why you can't repeat it...

In any case, I wasn't asking for sepcific details, I just wanted to know if any routes were being discontinued is all.

Edited by Lawrence St

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It seems like he missed the part where you noted that what was discussed is not supposed to be public information yet.

Personally, I'm not sure if it's thickheadedness or a weird sense of entitlement.

I'd consider it fairly similar to a rookie at AMD getting to sit in on a meeting concerning the details of Zen 4, then mentioning on a tech forum that they did while also saying that they won't elaborate because it's not yet public info, only for someone to still try to wring out details.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Personally, I'm not sure if it's thickheadedness or a weird sense of entitlement.

I'd consider it fairly similar to a rookie at AMD getting to sit in on a meeting concerning the details of Zen 4, then mentioning on a tech forum that they did while also saying that they won't elaborate because it's not yet public info, only for someone to still try to wring out details.

Yeah, when people are given info that they shouldn't be privy to, the source will know if they haven't shared that info with many people and nothing has to be said about not sharing it. I've been shown and told info in private. I would never expose that info for obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It seems like he missed the part where you noted that what was discussed is not supposed to be public information yet.

I didn't miss the part, I know what he said. 

What I was asking isn't a sense of entitlement, he said he couldn't share details, that's fine (although why would you even say something in the first place is beyond me), all I asked was if routes were on the table for elimination. I wasn't asking him to show me the entire plan front and back.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I didn't miss the part, I know what he said. 

What I was asking isn't a sense of entitlement, he said he couldn't share details, that's fine (although why would you even say something in the first place is beyond me), all I asked was if routes were on the table for elimination. I wasn't asking him to show me the entire plan front and back.

You're still asking for specifics after he already said he wasn't going to give any. If it's still not registering in your brain as an immediate self-contradiction, I don't know what to tell you.

As for saying anything about that lecture, consider it as a way of confirming that substantial progress has been made and leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

You're still asking for specifics after he already said he wasn't going to give any. If it's still not registering in your brain as an immediate self-contradiction, I don't know what to tell you.

As for saying anything about that lecture, consider it as a way of confirming that substantial progress has been made and leave it at that.

What part of that sentence made it seem like I was asking for specifics? Jeez... 😒

On 11/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, Lawrence St said:

I get that, but if a planner is telling you this in a public setting that I'm not sure why you can't repeat it...

I'm not sure why he even bothered to tell us that he has this information that isn't supposed to be released to the public - full knowing he wasn't going to release said info (not even saying he has to).... Imagine engaging in a conversation with someone & in the middle of it, that person says "I know what you don't know & I'm not going to tell you because I can't".... Like, well, gtf on then...

This is something that's been pervasive in these transit spaces (forums) for a long time now (as in, even before NYCTF's existence) & to me, it will always come across as a specific type of attention seeking... A getting of people to grovel at thine feet, full knowing curiosity will be piqued from those that aren't in the know....

On 11/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, Lawrence St said:

In any case, I wasn't asking for specific details, I just wanted to know if any routes were being discontinued is all.

It's semantical; dependent on from who's POV (point of view) we're talking about here..... A simple yes or no to that question (on the person-in-the-know's end) could be construed, or classified as disclosing specific details...

On 11/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, when people are given info that they shouldn't be privy to, the source will know if they haven't shared that info with many people and nothing has to be said about not sharing it. I've been shown and told info in private. I would never expose that info for obvious reasons.

Exactly why I wouldn't tell anybody that I even have certain information, let alone being a stool pigeon...

On 11/12/2021 at 1:54 AM, Mtatransit said:

Classic Bee Line move, adding articulated on low frequency routes so they would not have to increase service on them

Not the case here, fam.... @Lawrence St is right; it's due to interlining.... You'll see artics on bus routes all over the place that has no business on them "normally" because of it... That's the classic Bee-Line move (so to speak)....

Remember the BL-6U? Once upon a time, when you saw a 40' leaving Yonkers (for example), you knew it was a #6U.... An artic? you knew it was a #6.... Of course, instead of throwing artics on the #6U as a means to not increase service on it, they simply got rid of that variant of the #6.....

On 11/12/2021 at 12:11 PM, Lawrence St said:

No, the 60/61/62 are all interlined. If an artic pops up on the 61 its most likely because the previous runs were on the 60.

Yep, and the reverse happens as well - That is, a route (that doesn't "normally" see artics) can start out with an artic, as the route it'll be interlined with afterwards has the patronage/demand/ridership that calls for the use of an artic.... Not sure if it still does, but this used to happen with the first BL-30 (Yonkers bound), first BL-3, and first BL-41 trips of the day.... Pretty sure elsewhere in the system it happened also....

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not sure why he even bothered to tell us that he has this information that isn't supposed to be released to the public - full knowing he wasn't going to release said info (not even saying he has to).... Imagine engaging in a conversation with someone & in the middle of it, that person says "I know what you don't know & I'm not going to tell you because I can't".... Like, well, gtf on then...

This is something that's been pervasive in these transit spaces (forums) for a long time now (as in, even before NYCTF's existence) & to me, it will always come across as a specific type of attention seeking... A getting of people to grovel at thine feet, full knowing curiosity will be piqued from those that aren't in the know....

It's semantical; dependent on from who's POV (point of view) we're talking about here..... A simple yes or no to that question (on the person-in-the-know's end) could be construed, or classified as disclosing specific details...

Exactly why I wouldn't tell anybody that I even have certain information, let alone being a stool pigeon...

That I agree with. If I'm sharing any info it's in private or not at all. 

36 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

THANK YOU!

Like, he says a planner told him this and that, and then says he can't say anything. So why did you say something in the first place?

Edited by Lawrence St

20 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep, and the reverse happens as well - That is, a route (that doesn't "normally" see artics) can start out with an artic, as the route it'll be interlined with afterwards has the patronage/demand/ridership that calls for the use of an artic.... Not sure if it still does, but this used to happen with the first BL-30 (Yonkers bound), first BL-3, and first BL-41 trips of the day.... Pretty sure elsewhere in the system it happened also....

Now that the 55 is interlined with the short-turn 20's, I can't wait until the day that an artic shows up on the 55. Imagine the visual of that thing climbing that steep hill leaving Cross County 😄

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Now that the 55 is interlined with the short-turn 20's, I can't wait until the day that an artic shows up on the 55. Imagine the visual of that thing climbing that steep hill leaving Cross County 😄

I don't get why, but the Yonkers Avenue trips came to mind.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to mention this, but I seen an artic on the 61 to Port Chester the other day, funny seeing a route with hour headways use an articulated bus...

Oh they get 'tics from time to time, the rare moments I go thru that neck-o-the-woods.....

Edited by Missabassie

• Harry pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.westchestermobility.org/downloads

Update on the Westchester County Mobility and Transit Study. They have uploaded the results of a survey from Spring 2021.

And it looks like the have pushed back their deadline. Originally the website said the project was from Spring 2020 to Summer 2021. It was recently updated to say Spring 2020 to Spring/Summer 2022.