Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, Kingjunior34 said:

I would say going via myrtle the whole route 

Myrtle is very heavily trafficked in Ridgewood and Glendale.  Myrtle is one lane in each direction with many auto double parkers and trucks double parking/not being able to pull all the way in to the curb due to the width.  The Q55 has terrible OTP and service regularity because of this.  Myrtle on paper may be a good way to get from Ridgewood to Jamaica but in real time it isn't at all.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys think the L train shut down would affect the B82 sbs capacity wise? Like if people usually take it to get to the N or Q trains on 14th street you think they'll might opt to take the B82 sbs service to the Q or N train to get there instead of transferring a lot? 

38 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

You guys think the L train shut down would affect the B82 sbs capacity wise? Like if people usually take it to get to the N or Q trains on 14th street you think they'll might opt to take the B82 sbs service to the Q or N train to get there instead of transferring a lot? 

i highly doubt anyone will add that much time to their commute by taking any rendition of the B82 to the (Q) letalone the (N). the (Q) & (B) are already packed by the time it reaches Kings Highway no matter it's headway, and i truly couldn't fathom Canarsie residents uprooting themselves to unfamiliar territory to fight for room on the (Q) train. 

11 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

LIRR charges within city limits are way too high. That's the reason for the Freedom Ticket. I agree that the chances of the LIRR offering a $2.75 ride are very slim but one needs to look at existing capacity. If the trains are nearly empty during certain hours, it wouldn't cost them any more to offer the service at a much lower fare. Anyway, that still makes more sense than duplicating an existing service at a high cost just because of a reluctance to do what would make sense. 

See this doc page 6 — there are ~10,000 empty seats/peak in the peak direction between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal.

Freedom-Ticket-reduced.pdf

What’s more, they’re isolating all Bk service at a separate platform beginning next year (or maybe it’s 2019 idk), so why not? It’ll actually make the MTA money by filling empty seats, and provide a silver lining to the inconvenience of the shuttle. 

Edited by RR503

23 hours ago, RR503 said:

See this doc page 6 — there are ~10,000 empty seats/peak in the peak direction between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal.

What’s more, they’re isolating all Bk service at a separate platform beginning next year (or maybe it’s 2019 idk), so why not? It’ll actually make the MTA money by filling empty seats, and provide a silver lining to the inconvenience of the shuttle. 

I agree. The shuttle will further lower the patronage. Can't understand why the Brooklyn politicians are keeping quiet about this.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:17 PM, BrooklynBus said:

LIRR charges within city limits are way too high. That's the reason for the Freedom Ticket. I agree that the chances of the LIRR offering a $2.75 ride are very slim but one needs to look at existing capacity. If the trains are nearly empty during certain hours, it wouldn't cost them any more to offer the service at a much lower fare. Anyway, that still makes more sense than duplicating an existing service at a high cost just because of a reluctance to do what would make sense. 

Nobody running the LIRR cares about the reverse peak and off peak commuters. They're laser focused on transporting people from between Midtown and Long Island than inter-city, or inter-Long Island usage. It's the reason why the trains are near empty while the NICE Bus to Jamaica is always crowded during the rush.

Edited by NY1635

On 1/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, RR503 said:

I just started looking at the PDF, but the "Express" Bus takes the longest travel time from Rosedale to midtown?  :wacko:

If I had the choice of getting a Freedom Ticket, I'd probably use the LIRR all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was riding the Bx15 today, specifically the XN60 to West Harlem. The driver was amazing because he hauled ass and we got to Mott Haven in 25-30 minutes. The thing is though, he was operating as if it was SBS. He opened all the doors at every stop and fare-beating was rampant, to say the least. At least 65% of all the passengers on that trip entered through the back door, It wasn't the first time I was on a Bx15. The first time, on an Orion VII CNG with a slight bug infestation, it was a slow-boring trip, don't remember if it was wkend or weekday so idk if it was limited or not. So if we were to implement SBS on the Bx15, would we see more passengers along Third Avenue paying their fare or would they continue like business as usual?

18 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I was riding the Bx15 today, specifically the XN60 to West Harlem. The driver was amazing because he hauled ass and we got to Mott Haven in 25-30 minutes. The thing is though, he was operating as if it was SBS. He opened all the doors at every stop and fare-beating was rampant, to say the least. At least 65% of all the passengers on that trip entered through the back door, It wasn't the first time I was on a Bx15. The first time, on an Orion VII CNG with a slight bug infestation, it was a slow-boring trip, don't remember if it was wkend or weekday so idk if it was limited or not. So if we were to implement SBS on the Bx15, would we see more passengers along Third Avenue paying their fare or would they continue like business as usual?

They were continue to farebeat until the Eagle Team came and starting writing them tickets.  I rode the Bx41 a few times when I missed my Metro-North train and the people on that line would farebeat like no tomorrow. You knew when the Eagle Team did a bust because everyone suddenly had their tickets OUT when boarding.  

The Bronx has a lot of lines that farebeat, especially in the South Bronx. I wonder how the Bx6 is now that it has SBS? Most of the people on that line would not pay either, and they had no problem walking right through the front, past the fare box without saying a word to the B/O.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They were continue to farebeat until the Eagle Team came and starting writing them tickets.  I rode the Bx41 a few times when I missed my Metro-North train and the people on that line would farebeat like no tomorrow. You knew when the Eagle Team did a bust because everyone suddenly had their tickets OUT when boarding.  

The Bronx has a lot of lines that farebeat, especially in the South Bronx. I wonder how the Bx6 is now that it has SBS? Most of the people on that line would not pay either, and they had no problem walking right through the front, past the fare box without saying a word to the B/O.

Right, but wasn't there an article saying the Eagle Team would no longer do patrols on local lines and would only focus their efforts on SBS lines? However I feel in the Bx15's case, it already moves really quick, is their a better alternative that we can get everyone to pay their fare without having people farebeat? Installing machines and having people go and patrol is a waste of money especially when it's just getting people to change their habits.

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Right, but wasn't there an article saying the Eagle Team would no longer do patrols on local lines and would only focus their efforts on SBS lines? However I feel in the Bx15's case, it already moves really quick, is their a better alternative that we can get everyone to pay their fare without having people farebeat? Installing machines and having people go and patrol is a waste of money especially when it's just getting people to change their habits.

Yes, but the Bx6 has SBS and local service, so I wonder how the SBS does now in terms of farebeating...

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Not sure about the eagle team as a whole, but, I think Staten Island is still the only borough where undercover cops and such are riding the buses to nab farebeaters.

35 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

SBS would restore weekend rapid service to 3 Av and would replace the weekend Bx55 LTD service. 

37 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not sure about the eagle team as a whole, but, I think Staten Island is still the only borough where undercover cops and such are riding the buses to nab farebeaters.

Why does Staten Island have to be that extra? Must be quiet over there.

3 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

SBS would restore weekend rapid service to 3 Av and would replace the weekend Bx55 LTD service. 

That is true. Forgot about weekend SBS as well. I think it's painful on wkends having to make every single stop. 

13 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I think they stopped doing that too. Haven’t seen them as of recent.

Damn.....

Just now, danielhg121 said:

Why does Staten Island have to be that extra? Must be quiet over there.

That is true. Forgot about weekend SBS as well. I think it's painful on wkends having to make every single stop. 

Staten Island's farebeating rate is much higher than most people think, hence the need for undercover cops on local buses.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Staten Island's farebeating rate is much higher than most people think, hence the need for undercover cops on local buses.

I thought most of the stops on Staten Island had a few passengers at most waiting unless it's a major terminal or transfer point. They can't possibly farebeat at St. George Term. and are we describing farebeating as people who board through the back and/or people who board thru the front and ask the bus op for a ride? 

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Damn.....

North Shore routes? Especially in Mariners' Harbor and West New Brighton?

On the topic of the B82 SBS, has any fleet been allocated for it yet, such as 6094-6108 (even numbers) as more LFS artics for SBS arrive into Quill?

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

On the topic of the B82 SBS, has any fleet been allocated for it yet, such as 6094-6108 (even numbers) as more LFS artics for SBS arrive into Quill?

The North Shore routes in particular, yes.

Funny enough, I saw undercovers yank kids off of the S55 one summer night, that was the best shit I've ever seen on the island lol.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

I believe ENY said that the XD60s from Grand Avenue are probably going to ENY depot after the M train reconstruction is completed. That is about 12 buses but to me that won’t be enough for the route. So it’s possbile those XD60s at Quill are going to be sent to ENY almong with the ones from Grand Avenue. 

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The North Shore routes in particular, yes.

Funny enough, I saw undercovers yank kids off of the S55 one summer night, that was the best shit I've ever seen on the island lol.

I'd probably fall out of an open door busting my gut laughing (and then walk to the SIR). Those students think they can get on without dipping their passes...LOL!

Edited by aemoreira81

Staten Island fare beating is atrocious. Its bad to the point where more than 50% of the people on one trip will not pay. And farebeating by going through the back door? Please thats “so 2005”. They will literally walk right pass the bus driver as if its a subway shuttle or SBS route. I’m sorry are there hidden SBS routes on the island? Because paying onboard isn’t really a thing anymore. Every route will have more than 50% of the riders on one trip NOT PAY, except the S79 (just about 30% won’t pay). But after 10pm, I would say only around 10% of the riders on the island will fully pay their fare. Any Staten Island B/O can agree and I’m not exaggerating. Clearly the MTA doesn’t care because this has been going on for a long time. 

For the express, you’ll get a few here and there on weekends, especially the X10, but weekdays the express is good.