R179 Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's the lighting, but the one on the left, presumably the new 179 car, looks kind of beat up.

Stainless steel's appearance changes depending on lighting. It can look clean in low lighting but on a bright day you can see all the smudges and dirt on it. 

Preliminary R179 assignments now confirmed.

(A), (C), (J), (M), (Z). A-Line will get all 4 of the 10 car train as a testing phase prior to the introduction of the R211.

(A) was expected, but (M)? Ohh.... let go fanning then.

And isn't it 5 10 car train? (260 4 car sets, 40 5 car sets, 8×5=40, 4×65=260)

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I did a slight edit above, but I will double check on that. You are likely right! lol. I just report the train news. I'm still learning.

Actually, you were right in the first place. 4 ten car sets is equivalent to the 40 cars. 4 X 10 = 40. How did easy math get confused lol ;P

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Metro CSW

(A) was expected, but (M)? Ohh.... let go fanning then.

That makes sense, because they will replace the 32's and 42's, and while these are now kept off of the (M), the new cars won't have to be, and so will become an extension of the regular NTT [i.e. 160] rotation, going wherever they go.

Actually, you were right in the first place. 4 ten car sets is equivalent to the 40 cars. 4 X 10 = 40. How did easy math get confused lol ;P

Oh your right lol by bad, was thinking about the 8 car sets before the switch up with the 4 and 5 car sets when I did that lol. So you are right ENY.

What about the (Q) train

The (MTA) may as well just move some R46 to Jamaica and Jamaica R160s to Coney Island. If there's space at the yard then cool. If not, the tail tracks North of 96 Street can be used. 

Oh your right lol by bad, was thinking about the 8 car sets before the switch up with the 4 and 5 car sets when I did that lol. So you are right ENY.

Common mistake, man. It's all good heehee

Now let's talk about the assignments real quick. If the (M) is stated to get R179s, this means that the (C) would keep it's R160s and most of the R179s are headed to the eastern divisions. That's good because it can even out the fleet for both the (C) and Eastern division lines, and the (C) riders cannot complain much about the horrible cars, even 40 years from now.

What about the (Q) train

Likely R46s from the (A) get displaced to the (F), pushing the unnecessary R160s to the (Q). Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Now let's talk about the assignments real quick. If the (M) is stated to get R179s, this means that the (C) would keep it's R160s and most of the R179s are headed to the eastern divisions. That's good because it can even out the fleet for both the (C) and Eastern division lines, and the (C) riders cannot complain much about the horrible cars, even 40 years from now.

Likely R46s from the (A) get displaced to the (F), pushing the unnecessary R160s to the (Q).

No it doesn't, the small amount of R179's that ENY is getting can show up on any eastern div. route, those R160's that are on the (C) will go back to ENY

Those 13 sets on the C (4-car sets) are better off left on the C. Can't assume anything until the 179s start arriving because the way I see it, it's all gonna be mixed which should not be a bad at all.

No, he's asking is they will be. As I see it, the R143/R160/R179 are one family. Why they would not be operationally compatible is a mystery as the two former were originally designed to be if you take the word of the illustrated history of NYC transit cars.

No, he's asking is they will be. As I see it, the R143/R160/R179 are one family. Why they would not be operationally compatible is a mystery as the two former were originally designed to be if you take the word of the illustrated history of NYC transit cars.

Something about the electrical portions of the couplers being incompatible.

Edited by Fresh Pond