R179 Discussion Thread

*sigh* people just continue to make fun of me everyday. I even try my best to follow forum guidelines, by not necroposting or harassing others. 

I want to just discuss about R179's, but whenever something gets brought up by someone, we have this ridiculous nonsense over and over again. And no, I don't want to rebel against a mod? You wanna know why? Because I don't want to get banned. 

And this thread has just gone of a cliff, and it'll get locked. All because of ppl making fun of me when I try to post one damn assignment. 

I guess I have to ignore others for the rest of my time on this forum... the only way to stop this arguing to have the thread be locked. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

@Dj Hammers and @Fan Railer both notify us of upcoming R179 deliveries, testing dates, and they will most likely inform us of when the 5-car sets will enter service. 

I also get mocked/made fun of for just posting the info listed above by one person. I cannot respect their opinion if they always make fun of me.

And if things change, then who cares? 

*sigh* this is becoming Canarsie 2.0 already. :( we're doomed....  

This thread has gone off topic too much lately, so let's put an end to it in this and the next few posts!

1. My thoughts: Im not having any preference over any transit worker, if a transit member that's not Hammers or Fan Railer notifies us on a topic, it's still a well supported statement in which we'll have to wait and see.

2. @Coney Island Av I understand why your opinions are challenged and they deserve to be settled professionally, but if youre being mocked, it's best to settle it personally or through PM, not argue an active forum. The website also has an ignore function that you can use, and even walking away is much better than complaining which will just get you the same mockers again.

3.No this is not Canarsie 2.0, it only becomes Canarsie 2.0 when we go against each other in these threads.

4. I realized my last post may have brought an off topic discussion with it, and i'll say im a little sorry, my only goal was to express my opinion to... well, an opinionated thread that was slowly falling apart, with that being said, can we actually talk about 179's from this point on. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

21 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This thread has gone off topic too much lately, so let's put an end to it in this and the next few posts!

1. My thoughts: Im not having any preference over any transit worker, if a transit member that's not Hammers or Fan Railer notifies us on a topic, it's still a well supported statement in which we'll have to wait and see.

2. @Coney Island Av I understand why your opinions are challenged and they deserve to be settled professionally, but if youre being mocked, it's best to settle it personally or through PM, not argue an active forum. The website also has an ignore function that you can use, and even walking away is much better than complaining which will just get you the same mockers again.

3.No this is not Canarsie 2.0, it only becomes Canarsie 2.0 when we go against each other in these threads.

4. I realized my last post may have brought an off topic discussion with it, and i'll say im a little sorry, my only goal was to express my opinion to... well, an opinionated thread that was slowly falling apart, with that being said, can we actually talk about 179's from this point on. 

The thing I explicitly stated above was directly referring to R179's, it's just that everyone criticized it and the thread went overboard. 

But saying things like, "i hope you get banned" or just straight-up mocking is going way too far, and this is what brought the thread off topic. 

Getting back on topic, any new R179 production cars being delivered?

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I mean, as soon as insiders post classified info, everyone is caught up in an endless argument. I even stated that fleet assignments are the most controversial topic on this forum, and yet it ain't a problem for MTA or anyone working for them at all. 

We already have multiple production cars sitting on property, and it's only a matter of weeks until all of the production cars enter service. We only have to wait two more months to see what truly happens. By March/April, the (A)(C)(J)(Z) will have major changes in their rolling stock. 

@Dj Hammers and @Fan Railer both notify us of upcoming R179 deliveries, testing dates, and they will most likely inform us of when the 5-car sets will enter service, and when ALL production cars enter service. We already have two R179 sets in regular service, and more will follow suit in the coming weeks.

I also get mocked/made fun of for just posting the info listed above by one person. I cannot respect their opinion if they always make fun of me.

And if things change, then who cares? Not everything gets changed, it's only likely. That doesn't mean it will change.

And @NoHacksJustKhaks, is it best to lock this thread temporarily until the projected fleet assignments happen, since what you said above is true. 

*sigh* this is becoming Canarsie 2.0 already. :( we're doomed....  

It's a matter of how you're posting and how you're reacting to posts that's making folks look at you negatively......chill out. It's not even that serious.

Well, I see that I'm late to the party and since I'm currently outside of New York there's not much I can say but

Quick question. Since Bombardier gave us 16 free R179 B cars, does this mean that the fleet numbers will change, for example 

3049-3040

3039-3030

3029-3020

3019-3010

Which are the currently planned 4 10 car sets (if I'm not mistaken) then (sorry for my speculation but I just like to know) would it be something like this

3009-3000

2999-2990

2989-2980

2979-2970

2969-2960

2959-2950

2949-2940

2939-2930

Wait, are we seriously not allowed to post about fleet speculation anymore? Speculation is completely normal and widely accepted across various communities. I don't know how many of you are into video games, but when Nintendo's NX was announced everyone and their mother had at least three ideas on what it could be, and people didn't care, because it was an exciting time and speculating can be both exciting and fun. Yes, plans are subject to change and nothing is final until we see the trains rolling on the tracks, but you could say that about anything. Forums are for discussion, you take that away and what's left? Maybe I'm in the minority here but to me it seems the problem are certain users who seem to be so for or against certain proposals that they stop discussing the merits of the actual proposals themselves and just resort to shit-flinging. Eventually there's going to be an impasse and that needs to be understood. Earlier in the Canarsie swap thread me and Jemorie had a back and forth that lasted about two posts. Why? Because I realized he wasn't going to accept my proposal and that's ok.  It's important to treat your ideas as just that-ideas. My earlier proposal was based off of what were facts at the time, but that doesn't mean the proposal itself was factual. And this goes both ways, it's not a fact that something is happening and it's not a fact that something isn't happening. As long as people realize this and act accordingly there shouldn't be any problems with proposals and speculations.

Edited by CDTA

7 minutes ago, CDTA said:

Wait, are we seriously not allowed to post about fleet speculation anymore? Speculation is completely normal and widely accepted across various communities.

You can, just keep it to a minimum. It's gotten out of hand as of late with some of these guys.

26 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

You can, just keep it to a minimum. It's gotten out of hand as of late with some of these guys.

I agree. Everybody has the right to make an opinion and give suggestions.

What needs to be stopped is the mocking, teasing, insults and other disrespectful behavior. 

There's no need to shut this page, especially now when the production cars are slowly being delivered.

All we need to do is to be respectful of each other's opinion whether we agree or disagree. 

RESPECT!!!

RESPECT!!!

RESPECT!!!

I can't get behind that. First of all, last I checked, this is a discussion forum. 

Second, fleet assignments caused by this order are quite relevant. Third, there's been no news aside from whatever is related to last weeks board meeting. 

As someone stated before, speculation isn't abnormal anywhere. If you don't want to see it, why not just skip it? Until ENY or someone spills la habichuelas, all we can do is speculate. Why should people be forced to not discuss just because some are tired of seeing it?

That's quite anti-discussion if you ask me. Many of these members are new. You're are likely to push them away with what I've observed within these forums the last couple weeks.

5 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

I can't get behind that. First of all, last I checked, this is a discussion forum. 

Second, fleet assignments caused by this order are quite relevant. Third, there's been no news aside from whatever is related to last weeks board meeting. 

As someone stated before, speculation isn't abnormal anywhere. If you don't want to see it, why not just skip it? Until ENY or someone spills la habichuelas, all we can do is speculate. Why should people be forced to not discuss just because some are tired of seeing it?

That's quite anti-discussion if you ask me. Many of these members are new. You're are likely to push them away with what I've observed within these forums the last couple weeks.

as a pretty new member myself, this constant bickering about fleet swaps is absolutely pushing me away. I strongly agree with @CTK246 above

You may consider me new because of the date I joined but I observed/viewed this site regularly since early 2014 at best. 

But I'm now forced to take a break because of how I'm posting/reacting. Staying on here will only make other people view me negatively even more. 

This name-calling/ban threats/mocking needs to stop. As soon as I try to post, everyone just roasts me alive. 

From this point on, I cannot post anything pertaining to car assignments because of what @Cait Sith told me, and the huge controversy that will clog the toilet if I do. 

45 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

You may consider me new because of the date I joined but I observed/viewed this site regularly since early 2014 at best. 

But I'm now forced to take a break because of how I'm posting/reacting. Staying on here will only make other people view me negatively even more. 

This name-calling/ban threats/mocking needs to stop. As soon as I try to post, everyone just roasts me alive. 

From this point on, I cannot post anything pertaining to car assignments because of what @Cait Sith told me, and the huge controversy that will clog the toilet if I do. 

I never said you can't....

Like I said, just keep things to a minimum. If things get out of hand again with the insults and childish behavior, folks will lose their posting privileges.

Edited by Cait Sith

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

This name-calling/ban threats/mocking needs to stop. 

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

This name-calling/ban threats/mocking needs to stop. 

I agree. Disagreements are Ok as long as it's said in a respectful manner. 

@coneyislandav don't feel discouraged. You and everyone else in this forum have the right to express your opinions.

Keeping track of everything, these are all the cars we have as of this moment:

5-car sets:

3010-3019

Lines served: None at this time.

4-car sets:

3050-3069, 3086-3097

Lines served: (J) 

Total delivered: 42

Total currently in service: 16

Edited by S78 via Hylan
To give accurate information.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:21 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Slightly related bombardier lost a trade dispute with boeing and is hit with a 300% tariff i covered it in the aviation thread

Off topic, but actually they won https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-itc-ruling/u-s-trade-body-backs-canadian-plane-maker-bombardier-against-boeing-idUSKBN1FF2MB

22 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I can respect that. Having said that......

(G) 18 R32s, 3 R42s

(J)(Z) 21 R179s, 3 R160s, 5 R143s

(M) 32 R160s

(L) 16 R143s

which would turn into at the end of the shutdown

(G) 13 R179s (maintains the 8-car length but brings it back to its pre-shutdown frequency)

(J)(Z) 11 R160s, 9 R179s

(M) 23 R160s

(L) 21 R143s, 3 R160s

As for the other lines.....

(N)(W) 33 R46s

(Q) 21 R68As

(B) 14 R68s, 11 R179s

(A) 38 R46s

(C) 4 R46s, 14 10-car R160s

(E)(F)(R) All R160

This would keep things relatively simplified while also meeting the MTA's goals (SMEEs off of the (J)(M)(Z), full length (C) trains) while also matching the planned service levels during the shutdown.  (Also with an added bonus of keeping the R68s off of rollsign changing lines as much as possible)

During the shutdown the yards would look like this:

207th - R160, Pitkin - R46, ENY - R143, R160, R179, Jamaica - R160, CI - R32, R42, R46, R68, R179

And afterwards would look like this:

207th - R160, Pitkin - R46, ENY - R143, R160, R179, Jamaica - R160, CI - R46, R68, R179

Seems like the best way to divvy it up to me.

22 minutes ago, CDTA said:

(G) 18 R32s, 3 R42s

(M) 32 R160s

(L) 16 R143s

(G) 13 R179s (maintains the 8-car length but brings it back to its pre-shutdown frequency)

(J)(Z) 11 R160s, 9 R179s

(M) 23 R160s

(L) 21 R143s, 3 R160s

(N)(W) 33 R46s

(Q) 21 R68As

(B) 14 R68s, 11 R179s

(A) 38 R46s

(E)(F)(R) All R160

This would keep things relatively simplified while also meeting the MTA's goals (SMEEs off of the (J)(M)(Z), full length (C) trains) while also matching the planned service levels during the shutdown.  (Also with an added bonus of keeping the R68s off of rollsign changing lines as much as possible)

207th - R160, Pitkin - R46, ENY - R143, R160, R179, Jamaica - R160, CI - R32, R42, R46, R68, R179

207th - R160, Pitkin - R46, ENY - R143, R160, R179, Jamaica - R160, CI - R46, R68, R179

It may work.  It would be weird having brand new trains on the B. It does address the need of more trains on the B, especially during rush hour where the wait times is ridiculously long compared to other lines and having the D running express in the Bronx makes the situation worse.

50 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It may work.  It would be weird having brand new trains on the B. It does address the need of more trains on the B, especially during rush hour where the wait times is ridiculously long compared to other lines and having the D running express in the Bronx makes the situation worse.

Pretty good setup, but what about leaving the non-CBTC R160s in Coney Island for the (N) and move the R179s to the (N) so that they run on a full-time line that is prone to issues with lateness and fleet swapping. There is a reason why the (N) ranked the worst subway line three years in a row (2004-06) (along with the (W) in two of those years). this was before the R160s were assigned to the (N).

the (A)(C) can have a uniform R46 fleet and then remaining R46s can be added to the (W) on an as-needed basis, minimizing their use to weekdays only.

om a side note, good job noting that there could be about 100 R160s left over in 10-car sets because of the limited spare factor until the R211s arrive that would make it an issue in other yards should Jamaica get all the needed R160s converted and locked into running ONLY on the Queens Blvd Services. Probably something similar to how the (J) has been using the CBTC R143s in bypass mode will be run on the Coney Island routes to prevent a complete fleet shortage, because the conversion increases Jamaica Yard services spare factors.

Edited by darkstar8983

2 hours ago, CDTA said:

(G) 18 R32s, 3 R42s

(M) 32 R160s

(L) 16 R143s

(J)(Z) 11 R160s, 9 R179s

(M) 23 R160s

(L) 21 R143s, 3 R160s

(N)(W) 33 R46s

(Q) 21 R68As

(B) 14 R68s, 11 R179s

(A) 38 R46s

(E)(F)(R) All R160

You can't run 8 car R42's on non eastern division lines and giving the (G) most of the R32's wouldn't work neither. 

Making the (A) and (C) 100% R46's (in response to another thread) would be dumb. Those lines are gonna need as much 60 footers as possible. 

The (G) is better off being mostly 8 car R160 or R179 supplemented with 4-6 sets of 8 car R32's. 

Have the (C) be 7 sets of R179's, 3 sets of of R42's and 8 sets of R32's or 4 sets of R46's and 4 sets of R32's. The (A) is said to have the R32's temporary but that doesn't mean the (C) is ruled out of not having R32's. 

The (A) could be a mixture of R32's (4 sets), R46's and R179's (5 sets, 6 during the pm rush)

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r42s will be retired as well as some r32s, especially now that there's a surplus of trains. Only a few r32s will be preserved for Canarsie tunnel shutdown. 

There is no surplus of trains yet. Canarsie will provide a significant increase in the number of trains required for service. Almost all of the R32 fleet will have to stay, and unless a reduction in spare factor/shop margin is deemed acceptable, the R42s may have to as well. 

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Apparently there's a rumor going around that the R42's on the (M) shuttle will stay on the (M) for a while after the bushwick cut reopens to allow the R179's to be placed on the (J) and (Z) .

R42s are not able to run on the full length M. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently there's a rumor going around that the R42's on the (M) shuttle will stay on the (M) for a while after the bushwick cut reopens to allow the R179's to be placed on the (J) and (Z) .

What happened to all the A1s that ran on the (M) prior to the Myrtle Ave closure?