R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

With that being said, since social media has become so popular since when the 160s debuted, when the 179s DO run in service I hope the TA publicly posts the schedule when it will run on twitter or something, they posted the schedule of the R110B when it was new in newspapers in the early 90s. Will make it much easier for people to find it rather than waiting hours at a Stop like Fulton Street or Chambers - WTC for it show up.

I believe they did that for the 110s because they were test cars that were not placed in service all the time. None of the NTT cars fall under that category. After all, did the MTA post any schedules of the first 160s or 188s placed in service?

If you guessed these, you win...absolutely nothing! Carry on with the great debate.

Nah, they win the coveted no-prize award. :P

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, forgot about that, Union here you go:

14222328_1096441313776156_59194097704637

14222098_1096441340442820_53865773317515

I wonder why this person would not post pictures of the rest of the car?

Heheeee... the buffs going crazy over this.

FWIW there are plenty of changes as compared to a 160, or even a 188, mostly inside the cabs. But not posting any pics, mostly cuz I'm lazy.

Correct:

-speedometer and air gauge locations swapped

-new style buttons on the communcations panel and radio consoles

-R188 style "ergonomic" controller

-new style cab door latches

-only one air vent on the offside of the cab

-new style conductor's emergency brake

-several operational components in the cab have been moved around and the buttons and switches on the console have been moved around.

-new style cab seat

-much more visible "door fault lights" next to each individual door panel inside the car. Probably the biggest difference in the passenger area.

-new truck design

-new resistor grid design (for dynamic braking)

-new brake package design (for friction braking)

If you guessed these, you win...absolutely nothing! Carry on with the great debate.

I can post the pictures if you send them to me via email. 

No I actually knew it was a 5 car set, I just didn't want to spoil it.

But here's the thing, on my roster 3011 is listed as a A car as well as 3010, so that's why I was confused for a moment. It was a roster error.

Javier, you said that something with the FIND was different. If you are willing to, could you possibly post it or PM me? Thanks for your information!

It ain't "the rest of us" if you know.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

I think he's lying about knowing the info and knows as much about the R179s as us. But I'm not going get into an argument about if Javier is right or not.

He got some info correct though. Now if the rest of the pieces start connecting to each other then I'll take it back. But for now, not believing it until I see it.

I think he's lying about knowing the info and knows as much about the R179s as us. But I'm not going get into an argument about if Javier is right or not.

He got some info correct though. Now if the rest of the pieces start connecting to each other then I'll take it back. But for now, not believing it until I see it.

Well the whole "3010 doesn't exist" makes me think that as well. And denying he said that when 3010 was delivered...

Edited by Tech And Transit

Casual observations from last night:

-Interior sign looks wider than on the 160s. Still has the black trim around it.

-The FIND map is still the same

-Looped interior standee poles. Same ones 9798-9802 have.

-Door fault lights are a lot more noticeable as Subway Guy pointed out. They're placed lower on the walls compared to the 160, with a metal oval surrounding it.

Other than that, nothing else really special about it.

Heheeee... the buffs going crazy over this.

FWIW there are plenty of changes as compared to a 160, or even a 188, mostly inside the cabs. But not posting any pics, mostly cuz I'm lazy.

Correct:

-speedometer and air gauge locations swapped

-new style buttons on the communcations panel and radio consoles

-R188 style "ergonomic" controller

-new style cab door latches

-only one air vent on the offside of the cab

-new style conductor's emergency brake

-several operational components in the cab have been moved around and the buttons and switches on the console have been moved around.

-new style cab seat

-much more visible "door fault lights" next to each individual door panel inside the car. Probably the biggest difference in the passenger area.

-new truck design

-new resistor grid design (for dynamic braking)

-new brake package design (for friction braking)

Here is the cab for anyone interested: (Although i made this for the Openbve simulator, this is what it looks like IRL)

nIIRyqS.jpg

Compare it to the 160 cab and you can see the new PA on the left , new TOD and some buttons got shifted around and the CBTC select box on the right got integrated into the TOD dash

wOsTZij.jpg

Quite frankly I don't care what you think. You think I guessed every single correct answer for how many questions?

Exactly.

Casual observations from last night:

-Interior sign looks wider than on the 160s. Still has the black trim around it.

-The FIND map is still the same

-Looped interior standee poles. Same ones 9798-9802 have.

-Door fault lights are a lot more noticeable as Subway Guy pointed out. They're placed lower on the walls compared to the 160, with a metal oval surrounding it.

Other than that, nothing else really special about it.

Are they supposed to have a different propulsion? I find the propulsion on the 160s quite annoying.

The R-179's have a "slightly beefed up" version of the R-142 truck (the one with the "Balloon" air bags vs. the Kawasakis (and later Alstoms) with the side dampers).  They also are equipped with Bombardier's own propulsion system, which is advanced off the former ADTranz version originally employed on the R-142A and R-143.  AFAIK, it's basically identical to that of the (New) R-188's, 7811-7898 and the "C1" cars (7899-7936).

Best of my understanding the R-179 will NOT be operationally compatible with the R-160's; certainly not the CBTC-equipped ones as they provide for, but do not have, CBTC equipment.

Where did you get they are CBTC-equipped?

It reads like Union is stating that the 179s arent equipped. Unless im reading it wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am not stating anything. I hadn't heard anywhere that it was CBTC-equipped, I only thought that they would be CBTC ready. This is a new user and therefore I am skeptical.

With the new countdown clock technology, I think there can be an actual good use for the LCD screens in the R160s and R179s. When the train is approaching a station where a transfer to another line is available, the screens can briefly show the train arrival information for the other lines that go to that station, so that passengers are able to better plan their commute. For example, if they see that the express train is a minute away when they are on the local, they could get out and wait for it, if it is convenient for them. 

Also the "On the Go" screens that are scattered around the system should be updated to display the live information, rather than scheduled arrivals.

Edited by P3F

I can post the pictures if you send them to me via email. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the cab for anyone interested: (Although i made this for the Openbve simulator, this is what it looks like IRL)

(pic)

Compare it to the 160 cab and you can see the new PA on the left , new TOD and some buttons got shifted around and the CBTC select box on the right got integrated into the TOD dash

(pic)

Seeing as I've been in the train and walked around, I'm not too concerned about what somebody made for BVE...

I am not stating anything. I hadn't heard anywhere that it was CBTC-equipped, I only thought that they would be CBTC ready. This is a new user and therefore I am skeptical.

They are set up for CBTC with all relevant controls, circuit breakers, secondary TOD screen, and ATO start. Whether or not they are "equipped" is a software issue not visible to the naked eye on a just delivered train.

One of the more interesting things I never can understand with these things is why, despite the fact we are forbidden to use the "left door open" controls on the console, they continue to be included on all new orders. Wondering if this is a standard feature on most contracts for non-NYC, and if the manufacturer insists on including it to keep costs down.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I believe they did that for the 110s because they were test cars that were not placed in service all the time. None of the NTT cars fall under that category. After all, did the MTA post any schedules of the first 160s or 188s placed in service?

I think they only posted the schedule of the first R160 (E) train.

I think they also posted the R142A's first run schedule too, but I don't think that run was for the general public anyways, only press and the Governor with some MTA execs.