SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

20 hours ago, VIA 7 AV said:

Totally random but ever since some personal things happened, my perception and taste in the subway fleet changed a little bit. I’ve been daydreaming about the subway my whole life as a coping mechanism to handle boring moments in my day. Also because randomly thinking about it puts me in a good mood. However, I find myself daydreaming about two fictional lines I made up like 15 years ago instead of most of the lines that exists in real life. Also R46’s are my primary favorite cars but I find myself daydreaming about the R160’s more (even if they make a lot of noise when they break) I love the Alstom Propulsion the most. I can’t help it. I use to love the Siemens Propulsion but now I’m numb to it. But I’m not complaining. The only thing I wish I still had was enough motivation to take out my camera while I’m on the subway and fan on a normal day. Especially on a R46. The 211’s are gonna be in service soon so I gotta stop being lazy and record some 46’s before they start retiring lol. That’s all

Daydreaming about transit? LOL Avoid using it as much as possible, save for commuting.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Daydreaming about transit? LOL Avoid using it as much as possible, save for commuting.

Hey man I can’t help it. It’s just a coping mechanism to promote happiness  I need something else to to think about from time to time. There’s other things I can think about but I don’t want to think about them all the time so I think about trains sometimes. I feel like the transit community is so judgmental. 

Edited by VIA 7 AV
N/A

4 minutes ago, VIA 7 AV said:

Hey man I can’t help it. It’s just a coping mechanism to promote happiness  I need something else to think about from time to time. There’s other things I can think about but I don’t want to think about them all the time so I think about trains sometimes. I feel like the transit community is so judgmental. 

1 hour ago, VIA 7 AV said:

Hey man I can’t help it. It’s just a coping mechanism to promote happiness  I need something else to to think about from time to time. There’s other things I can think about but I don’t want to think about them all the time so I think about trains sometimes. I feel like the transit community is so judgmental. 

Do whatever makes you happy. I can only speak for myself.

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

When the hell did they extend the (7) night suspension between Queensboro Plaza & Hudson Yards? I was so glad because it initially was was slated to go on until next week (March 25th), but now they extended the damn thing almost an extra month, up til April 14th! The QBL sucks donkey balls at night, trains crrrrawlllll at night because of flagging or workers cleaning the tracks, it's insane. I always end up missing buses and having to walk from the subway station because of that nonsense. <_<

Last night for example, I unfortunately missed the Q32, so I went to the 5th Avenue - 53rd Street station to catch the train. The (E) , (F) , AND (N) train arrivals weren't showing up towards Queens on the MTA website, so I went to the (E) first. Well turns out the thing was a whopping 26 minutes away, so I risk it and hoof it to the (N) . It came in like minutes after I arrived at the station, so I took that, to the (7), and got off at 74th Street and waited almost 20 minutes for the Q53, and caught the Q11 at Hoffman Drive. Had I waited for the (E) instead, I would have likely missed the Q11, since it was due to arrive Roosevelt at 2:08 AM, and at that time of night, the Q11 departs Hoffman every hour at :15. 

They've been doing this also for at least one day out of many weeks before this prolonged outage started (on February 22nd), and they a similar month long outage back in October of last year. 

I suspect they extended it to April 14 to make sure everything is in order for the Mets home opener on Friday 4/15, which is also the 75th anniversary of Jackie Robinson first playing for the Dodgers.  That is going to be a historic day. 

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

When the hell did they extend the (7) night suspension between Queensboro Plaza & Hudson Yards? I was so glad because it initially was was slated to go on until next week (March 25th), but now they extended the damn thing almost an extra month, up til April 14th! The QBL sucks donkey balls at night, trains crrrrawlllll at night because of flagging or workers cleaning the tracks, it's insane. I always end up missing buses and having to walk from the subway station because of that nonsense. <_<

Last night for example, I unfortunately missed the Q32, so I went to the 5th Avenue - 53rd Street station to catch the train. The (E) , (F) , AND (N) train arrivals weren't showing up towards Queens on the MTA website, so I went to the (E) first. Well turns out the thing was a whopping 26 minutes away, so I risk it and hoof it to the (N) . It came in like minutes after I arrived at the station, so I took that, to the (7), and got off at 74th Street and waited almost 20 minutes for the Q53, and caught the Q11 at Hoffman Drive. Had I waited for the (E) instead, I would have likely missed the Q11, since it was due to arrive Roosevelt at 2:08 AM, and at that time of night, the Q11 departs Hoffman every hour at :15. 

They've been doing this also for at least one day out of many weeks before this prolonged outage started (on February 22nd), and they a similar month long outage back in October of last year. 

It was always supposed to end in April. I remember seeing the posters saying changes we're supposed to go through April. It was only the weekends shutdowns that is supposed to be for select weekends in March.

Falling rust of metal happened this week on the (J) elevated structure around Broadway-Halsey St. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2022/03/19/hunk-of-metal-falls-off-the-j-line-onto-woman-s-car?cid=id-app15_m-share_s-web_cmp-app_launch_august2020_c-producer_posts_po-organic

Edited by Calvin

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Ouch, but $325 Million just to add nets under elevated tracks???? Why so expensive

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They are starting to rotate the r160's more now which was going to happen. 9893-97 was on the (F) yesterday. So I would expect to start seeing more different consists on the (G)  hopefully they swap out a siemens set from the (F)

I think its for this weekend because 8797-8793 popped up on the (G) 

Edited by VIP

Just received a ticket on the subway for "using the end door to pass between cars". I'm guessing I am suppose to deal with  someone smoking in the other car.

I hope the MTA enjoy my $75, because they are lucky they caught someone who produced an ID and was compliant with the NYPD, while people continue to smoke on the subway

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Just received a ticket on the subway for "using the end door to pass between cars". I'm guessing I am suppose to deal with  someone smoking in the other car.

I hope the MTA enjoy my $75, because they are lucky they caught someone who produced an ID and was compliant with the NYPD, while people continue to smoke on the subway

Did the people that stopped you at least try to address that issue (assuming that you brought it up)?

Either way, Id consider that more of an issue with the NYPD than one with the MTA.

10 hours ago, CenSin said:

What they will end up with on their hands eventually is a hanging sack of steel.

They are very good at catching snow as well. I mean, that's gotta put more pressure on the el to hold it up.

5 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

On just about every (A) ride I make these days, there's at least 1 person using end doors to go between the cars. Seems like they spotted you at the wrong moment which sucks. I would've definitely pointed out the smoker in the other car, even if I had to take the fine.

Personally I don't bother with the end doors if I want to switch cars, I switch at stations. Helped me avoid other nusiances like the "SHOWTIME!"ers as well. 

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Did the people that stopped you at least try to address that issue (assuming that you brought it up)?

Either way, Id consider that more of an issue with the NYPD than one with the MTA.

I did mention that the ofter car smell like smoke and that’s someone  has been smoking in it.

But the officers were busy running my background or something and said they’ll deal with it after, but I was pulled out of the train next station and written a summons, so it was never dealt with

The officers were nice, but still, really sucky feeling to have when I got ticketed for breaking an rule that doesn’t affect other passengers while the person in the other car who is affecting other passengers gets away. I’ll try to visit the TAB in Brooklyn to get a hearing, but ultimately I will have to pay the fine anyways since it’s hard to justify that it was an “emergency “

Even worse after I received the ticket on the next (F) there was one person smoking a cigar in the car and another person standing between cars smoking a cigarette 

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

On just about every (A) ride I make these days, there's at least 1 person using end doors to go between the cars. Seems like they spotted you at the wrong moment which sucks. I would've definitely pointed out the smoker in the other car, even if I had to take the fine.

Personally I don't bother with the end doors if I want to switch cars, I switch at stations. Helped me avoid other nusiances like the "SHOWTIME!"ers as well. 

It's so common on the (E) that I even thought it was something that is in the book but rarely enforced (like Jaywalking)

Learn't my lesson here, still $75 is ridiculous, when fare beating/smoking itself is only $100

Edited by Mtatransit

13 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I hope you went to the news about that crap.

And since when is it illegal to cross between cars? If that was the case they should start locking the end doors that can only be unlocked from the conductors cab.

@Mtatransit If you had emphasized the issue with the smoke more, perhaps they would have let you off.  Anyway it's the second half of the month, quota time for them, so they're out prowling for opportunities to ticket people over trivial BS instead of you know, ticketing the jerk who was smoking.

The thing they bank on is that nobody is going to demand a court hearing, or that the officer be present to testify against you.  The actual courts (not TAB) tend to be more flexible; there used to be a procedure (don't know if that's still the case now) that if the officer failed to appear for the hearing, the ticket would get dismissed.

Transit Adjudication Bureau, on the other hand, is not an actual court.  They're an MTA revenue collection entity operating under the guise of being an impartial administrative law unit.  Only person I know of who was able to get the TAB to back off was a friend of a friend, years ago, who showed up to their office in Downtown Brooklyn with a lawyer.  Good for him, but obviously most people don't have the time or money to get an actual attorney to represent them for a civil summons.       

Edited by R10 2952

On 3/18/2022 at 4:27 PM, Daniel The Cool said:

It was always supposed to end in April. I remember seeing the posters saying changes we're supposed to go through April. It was only the weekends shutdowns that is supposed to be for select weekends in March.

News to me, because I recall seeing posters with the end date set as March 25th. 

Meanwhile there are people (usually high school aged kids) all over TikTok posting videos of themselves riding on the back of the train and breaking into the cabs and playing with the controls while the train in is motion. Yet I haven’t seen anything about NYPD doing a crackdown on this.

Random thought: if 4th Avenue south of 59th street is 4 tracks, then why can't the MTA convert them back to 4 tracks to have R trains lay up there since 4th Avenue R train service is so horrible? And also open the wall after 95th Street to have trains layup past 95th Street for less delays?