SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Do yall think the Second ave subway will ever go downtown? i think in reality it will be 63st to 125 n maybe bronx

Nope. Not a chance in hell. They'll hopefully get the line built as far as 125th Street and Lexington Ave and then stop.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that if you're on a southbound (N) train, the left hand side doors don't open after 14st-Union Square until Coney Island.

I rode an R68 on the (D) train today from 36st to Atlantic, and I was actually I bit scared at the speed. I saw the car speedometer and it said 51-52mph, and we were consistent from Prospect to Union St, I was a little nervous at the crazy bouncing and rocking and the trucks making all that rumbling and jerking, it really doesn't feel like that on the (N), just pure speed.

That stretch is a speed zone. 50+ miles per hour. No derailment on the subway in years. One timer at Union St to slow it down.

That stretch is a speed zone. 50+ miles per hour. No derailment on the subway in years. One timer at Union St to slow it down.

I suppose the timers between 103rd and 110th Streets are to prevent the northbound expresses from flying through the downhill/uphill stretch of that part of the CPW corridor? Eh.

On the bright side, with a good T/O, uptown (C) trains can hit about 37-39 MPH into 110th via the local. Gotta love that.

Edited by RollOver

I really hope I can get the day off for this. It will be interesting as I can get to meet some of my facebook friends I havent met yet:

Credits: New York Transit Museum.

]Credits: J. Dooley

Tickets are still available but I will be on the sidelines getting the photos. I'll be there.

I was on the train probably in tons of peoples pics! It was a great experience! One that I will never forget. It really brought the transit community together. There were a lot of foaming jokes on the way. I saw a good amount of people from the forums. Didn't see ya Realizm.

There's an R32 A running to Far Rockaway. Guess for a little extra railfan entertainment...

saw that train from the RFW on the TRAIN OF MANY METALS! 

Edited by Union Tpke

I was on the train probably in tons of peoples pics! It was a great experience! One that I will never forget. It really brought the transit community together. There were a lot of foaming jokes on the way. I saw a good amount of people from the forums. Didn't see ya Realizm.

I didn't recognize anyone, haha.

I saw fan railer, DJ Hammers and MR. Railfan on the side, Screechy, MF'86. 

BTW I was wearing a Vignelli shirt and a 161 St cap. I am 14 years of age and was found at the front of the train at the RFW.

What was the color of the shirt and cap? I may have gotten you in a photo or video.

My family expected to show hospitality for an aunt from India and her daughter so thats why I couldnt make it. We were in Jackson Heights.

Its going to be a busy week - I'm hoping I get this new job in the IT dept plus I jhave to figure out how to get in classes by Aug 27th. Very rough week ahead.

I saw fan railer, DJ Hammers and MR. Railfan on the side, Screechy, MF'86.

BTW I was wearing a Vignelli shirt and a 161 St cap. I am 14 years of age and was found at the front of the train at the RFW.

I definitely saw you a few times. I was in the black pants, boots, and shirt carrying the umbrella (thought it was gonna rain lol)

I caught the train at Aqueduct Racetrack on the first trip (no one was there so why not). I walked out the station to walk to N. Conduit and I saw that R32 go on by; it was the train directly behind it.

Edited by Fresh Pond

My family expected to show hospitality for an aunt from India and her daughter so thats why I couldnt make it. We were in Jackson Heights.

Its going to be a busy week - I'm hoping I get this new job in the IT dept plus I jhave to figure out how to get in classes by Aug 27th. Very rough week ahead.

Good Luck Trying to get the new job... :)

R40M has different font for car number and the R42 uses it's standard font (Helvetica) for car number. Rollsigns inside car of R40M is slightly different notice that instead of rectangular edges for the bullet (ex: (L) ) and destination signs the R40M uses curvy oval round edges as the R42 use standard rectangular form for the rollsign. The front and back of cars are the same style. Exterior of car at the bottom where you see the lines, the lines are close together right like an R32 or R38 as R42 lines are s slightly spreaded out.

Your welcome :lol:

R40M has different font for car number and the R42 uses it's standard font (Helvetica) for car number. Rollsigns inside car of R40M is slightly different notice that instead of rectangular edges for the bullet (ex: (L) ) and destination signs the R40M uses curvy oval round edges as the R42 use standard rectangular form for the rollsign. The front and back of cars are the same style. Exterior of car at the bottom where you see the lines, the lines are close together right like an R32 or R38 as R42 lines are s slightly spreaded out.

Your welcome :lol:

Also, the 40M has beige floors where's the 42s got black floors in the interior.

Do any post-GOH cars use the Standard/Akzidens Grotesk font on roll signs?

Basically all of them did, with the only exceptions being some R32s, R42s, and the cars that received LCDs (R44s, R46s). But the redbird IRT cars, the R30s, most R32s--most of them were given Akzidenz-Grotesk rollsigns. Akzidenz was still the main font for the MTA well into 1988-1989, albeit with modifications to the J and Q (Helvetica was used for those).

But look around -- the slight majority of R32s have Azkidenz on the rollsigns, while the rest have Helvetica signs. Henderson can clue you in the on the exact year the rollsigns were switched, that I do not know. And obviously, the R38s received a lot of new signs in recent years that were all Helvetica. 

Lol that helped a lot, thanks. In that photo I noticed the grooves on the side, and how it has a design at the bottom platform below the doors. The interiors were the same? I suppose so because it's the same because the R32s-R42s all had gray seats and yellow walls.

Np bro, and except the floors, interiors are same. Same grey seats and yellow (tan) walls.

Np bro, and except the floors, interiors are same. Same grey seats and yellow (tan) walls.

the interiors are actually different, the R42 have silver walls kinda like R68 interiors while the R40M has beige walls. Kinda like R32 interiors...

Anyone think the R38s were retired too soon? I think they could've kept them running with R32s.