SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

How far along is Phase II of the (M) viaduct reconstruction? I see it's supposed to finish April 30, but I want to get a couple of shots of those R42 on the (M).

It's close, they have a G.O planned mid-late April where they are going to connect the new tracks to the Jamiaca EL.

At my local subway station, all three of the MVM were messed up. The two regular MVM were coins only and the Debit/Credit only MVM wasn't accepting Debit or Credit cards SMH.

What could possibly be wrong where NONE of the MVM at one station are not accepting Debit cards, I had no cash on me so I couldn't even refill my Metrocard, bum ass MTA smh. 

4 hours ago, the7train said:

Is it just me, or are MTA stations bunched up way too close to one another? I feel like it'd be more efficient to have spread out stations that are cleaner and bigger so we save on money and can improve accessibility? 

There are a lot of people who live everywhere. With the exception of Beverley and Cortelyou Roads, I think the spacing is fine.

3 hours ago, CTK246 said:

There are a lot of people who live everywhere. With the exception of Beverley and Cortelyou Roads, I think the spacing is fine.

Another thing to be considered is how one station would handle the capacity of two. You close one station and everyone will flock to the nearest one in the vicinity, thus overcrowding that station and creating a bigger mess than before.

7 hours ago, CTK246 said:

But don't you guys feel they're bunched up too close? Especially manhattan lines, with stations an avenue apart from one another, and some 4 streets apart from one another

9 minutes ago, the7train said:

But don't you guys feel they're bunched up too close? Especially manhattan lines, with stations an avenue apart from one another, and some 4 streets apart from one another

What is so inadvertently wrong with stations being so "close" together and did you not see the other posters points about the negative impacts that closing them would have?

At a time like this facing the crisis we have now do you really think the TA could get away with permanently closing stations to "save money"?

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

What is so inadvertently wrong with stations being so "close" together and did you not see the other posters points about the negative impacts that closing them would have?

At a time like this facing the crisis we have now do you really think the TA could get away with permanently closing stations to "save money"?

Take for example 18th St, 23rd, and 28th St on the Broadway Line. With so many passengers complaining about the state of stations, closing 18th and 28th, while expanding 23rd to improve its state allows for a better looking station. Trains also have to run less stations, meaning we can run more TPH. 

9 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

where will the r42's go after the m viaduct construction is complete, the ones that are assigned to the m shuttle?

They likely will not go back to the (J)/(Z) or normal (M) since those lines have to be NTT by the Canarsie shutdown, my guess is if they do, then it wouldn't be for long. It could be assigned to the (B) or (D), like some people suggest/foam over, maybe even the (A) or (C) but, honestly, it's not too supportable and there's no definitive answer, where it goes is anyone guess.

I'd also like to add on that they should be retired soon, once the R179's arrive, R42's aren't the best even to other old trains, so they might also be gone once all of Bombardiers lemons arrive, once again, gotta wait for the definitve answer(s).  

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

27 minutes ago, the7train said:

Take for example 18th St, 23rd, and 28th St on the Broadway Line. With so many passengers complaining about the state of stations, closing 18th and 28th, while expanding 23rd to improve its state allows for a better looking station. Trains also have to run less stations, meaning we can run more TPH. 

Plenty of people use all 3 of these stations. I swear the biggest goal on this forum (aside from getting something, ANYTHING to run through the Nassau cut again) is to close 18th St on the (1) .....

10 minutes ago, Snowblock said:

Plenty of people use all 3 of these stations. I swear the biggest goal on this forum (aside from getting something, ANYTHING to run through the Nassau cut again) is to close 18th St on the (1) .....

can people not walk down an extra 4 blocks for a bigger 14th st station, or 5 blocks up to a busier 23rd st station???

13 minutes ago, the7train said:

can people not walk down an extra 4 blocks for a bigger 14th st station, or 5 blocks up to a busier 23rd st station???

Pretty much. To me, it seems like you haven't been to these stations before.

However, I'd say make 3 stations as a combo to .....

Crescent Street and Norwood Avenue

Alabama Avenue and Van Siclen.

Then you, could expand Cleveland Street  (I don't know). 

But then Crescent St and Norwood Avenue are crowded in the morning's so I'm not sure that's a good idea. 

Beverly and Cortelyou I can understand 

There are stations in our system which are closer than 14-18-23 on the (1) . Yet I don't hear anyone calling for the closing of Wall St on the (4) and (5) and have people just walk to Fulton or Bowling Green. And 33-28-23 on the (6) is even less distance than 14-18-23 on the (1) is but nobody's demanding we close 28 St (6) and make people walk the extra 4 blocks. I'm convinced the only reason anyone on this forum really wants to close 18th on the (1) is that they don't like the idea that it's the only line that has an 18th St stop and want the map to be symmetrical.

Edited by Snowblock

Don't close stations. most of the stops mentioned above (18 St (1), Beverley/Cortelyou Rd (Q), Wall St (4)(5), etc) have high ridership.

The only reason why 18 St (6), and Worth St (6) were closed was because of close proximity to Brooklyn Bridge, and low usage. Retaining the station would only slow down service, and none of the stops mentioned above do such a thing. 

And @Snowblock, I think the only reason why people want to close 18 St is not due to being symmetrical, but it's because the IRT Lex has a closed 18 St station, and want the same thing to happen to 18th on the (1). It would've been closed a long time ago if it really was too close to 14th. 

Another example of closeby stations are the two Aqueducts (Aqueduct Racetrack and Aqueduct-N Conduit), the Jerome Av stations (170, 176, Mt Eden, etc), and also on the West End line (50-55-62). 

Edited by Coney Island Av

I'm just saying, some stations are bunched up way too close to one another, meaning extra stops and longer journey times of trains. Combining them means you get to maintain the one station into a better state, and it saves an extra minute or two on journey time, which could fit another train to move passengers at a quicker rate. 

18th on the (1) and (6) are two completely different situations. 18th on the (6) was closed because 14th St's downtown platform is completely above 14th St, and when the platforms were extended to 10 cars, it made the stations way too close to each other. 14th St on the (1) was planned as a 10 car platform when it was first built and was placed completely south of 14th St in order to evenly space out the distance between it and 18.

I go through 18th St 3 times a day in both directions, and it ALWAYS has ridership. It makes no sense to close this station. If you're in such a rush, walk down to 14th and take the (2) or (3) !