SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Completely out of left field but I figured I’d leave this here.

Having been a member here for a long time I notice that many posters will quote something they’ve read and accept it as fact. An employee or the newspaper or the (MTA) stated such and such and entire threads become flame wars between opposing views. I’m coming from a generation where we question everything, no matter the source, because of past history. I’ve read articles and posts about various topics concerning the transit system in the metropolitan region and I can see the spin being perpetrated on the public. Just got off the phone with a buddy who worked with me on the (3) many years ago. Specifically the Lenox shuttle between 148th and 135th St. He said his grandson was doing a report on trains for school and the young mans teacher said that he made a mistake about our shuttle job. Seems that the teacher was relying on something she read on another site that said the station at 135th and Lenox had two tracks. My buddy emailed the teacher and he pointed out to the teacher that while the article does mention the two tracks there are pictures of the station on the site that clearly show the three tracks. The funny thing is that many people use the site as a reference tool. I’ve actually used the same site because I like to read the old service guides. Just saying don’t believe everything you read because even reputable sources have been known to have errors. Carry on.

Word.

The word to sum up your point...... Gullible.

I take whatever's being posted on here & anywhere else with a certain grain of salt until I see & experience it with my own two (eyes)..... It's one thing to respect, give thanks, be appreciative of whoever's "leaking" or otherwise updating some thread{s} with inside information - it is quite another to treat these same people like they're infallible..... Not only because I'm also from that quote-unquote cynical generation, but also because I see that as a sign of weakness....

Hey, if you don't know something, you don't know it.... At the same time, I'm all about thinking for myself too & it baffles me just how many are too lazy or outright afraid to think for themselves....

I don't DR anybody because I HATE being d***ridden on (I have a tendency to smirk whenever I'm complimented anyway)..... I don't want that attention like I'm some sort of messiah.... As many posts I've read over the years from people on these parts saying that I know more about riderbases & rider patterns on bus routes throughout the city than the MTA does (which to me is embarrassing), or asking if I work for the MTA because of it, or otherwise amazed at what I relay in the bus section on here... And I have said this before - I don't see myself as being anything special in that regard.... Anyone that's dedicated enough & cognizant/keen enough can do what I do.... If I want to find out something about some bus route, I go out & do it for myself....

On 3/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, peacemak3r said:

Anyone know what testing they are doing on the southbound Brighton express track with those R46's? Also I've been seeing the same two kids taking videos at Kings Highway, show yourselves! 

They're testing out a new master controller and other new components for braking/propulsion, designed to buy the R46s a little more time.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Word.

The word to sum up your point...... Gullible.

I take whatever's being posted on here & anywhere else with a certain grain of salt until I see & experience it with my own two (eyes)..... It's one thing to respect, give thanks, be appreciative of whoever's "leaking" or otherwise updating some thread{s} with inside information - it is quite another to treat these same people like they're infallible..... Not only because I'm also from that quote-unquote cynical generation, but also because I see that as a sign of weakness....

Hey, if you don't know something, you don't know it.... At the same time, I'm all about thinking for myself too & it baffles me just how many are too lazy or outright afraid to think for themselves....

I don't DR anybody because I HATE being d***ridden on (I have a tendency to smirk whenever I'm complimented anyway)..... I don't want that attention like I'm some sort of messiah.... As many posts I've read over the years from people on these parts saying that I know more about riderbases & rider patterns on bus routes throughout the city than the MTA does (which to me is embarrassing), or asking if I work for the MTA because of it, or otherwise amazed at what I relay in the bus section on here... And I have said this before - I don't see myself as being anything special in that regard.... Anyone that's dedicated enough & cognizant/keen enough can do what I do.... If I want to find out something about some bus route, I go out & do it for myself....

This last part is spot on.  Part of the reason I feel people spread news around (even if it's true but still purely internal) is to garner attention, under the guise that "bad attention is better than no attention."  Being an attention whore is not only misleading, but it jeopardizes people's reputations in the community and in the industry.  And as for people that do work/have worked in industry (I'm one of them), our priority is to get our job done--just like any other job, except we're passionate about what we do.  Signing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) is not a formality.  It's done with the understanding that releasing publicly any information that hasn't been made publicly available and/or could provide information to competitors can cost you your job (and that is not the way you want to go out).  Our job is not to be WikiLeaks, leaking out sensitive information, damaging people's reputations, and costing us our own jobs and security for the sake of getting attention from a few foamers who wouldn't last a day in industry (you know who you are).

Edited by Bosco

Floor mats with arrows are usually seen on the Cuomo R160s and the (C) train with the 42 St Shuttle.

R160A 9233-9237 has upgraded lighting but with the arrows. It's also out of Coney Island yard. More Tech trains will receive this upgrade (the A Division could get the mats). 

R62A 1851-1855 on the (1) has floor mats as well. 

When entering a subway car, it's just like a "welcome" except the arrows tell you where to stand. 

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Floor mats with arrows are usually seen on the Cuomo R160s and the (C) train with the 42 St Shuttle.

R160A 9233-9237 has upgraded lighting but with the arrows. It's also out of Coney Island yard. More Tech trains will receive this upgrade (the A Division could get the mats). 

When entering a subway car, it's just like a "welcome" except the arrows tell you where to stand. 

The arrows don’t tell you to where stand. They tell you to GTFO of the way.

Edited by CenSin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

East New York’s R160’s are starting to get them. 8313-8316/8353-8356 has them. And another set which I couldn’t gather the car Numbers. Side note; the (C) ‘s R160’s has Yellow mats with blue arrows though. Shows how inconsistent the MTA is with projects/upgrades. 

Edited by VIP

18 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's a R142 set hat has upgraded Led lighting now so i could see that happening. You'd think with  Lex being the busiest line in the system they'd try those experiements in the A div first.

47 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

There's a R142 set hat has upgraded Led lighting now so i could see that happening. You'd think with  Lex being the busiest line in the system they'd try those experiements in the A div first.

R142 Car 6362 has LED Lighting, I saw iy this morning, but MTA is very inconsistant with the installation of the lights, rather installing it on random cars, rather than set by set.

2 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

R142 Car 6362 has LED Lighting, I saw iy this morning, but MTA is very inconsistant with the installation of the lights, rather installing it on random cars, rather than set by set.

There's a full 10 car train that has it too, I've noticed it on the (5) multiple times this week.

7 hours ago, Lance said:

The 179s do not have the necessary transponders installed to be picked up by the arrival clocks. Until that changes, they will continue to be ghost trains to the tracking systems.

Actually one of the sets does show up on the clocks now... I forget what the fleet numbers were

On 3/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, CenSin said:

The arrows don’t tell you to where stand. They tell you to GTFO of the way.

right.. that

12 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Actually one of the sets does show up on the clocks now... I forget what the fleet numbers were

3086-3089 and 3094-3097. It was on display to Jamaica Center as a (J) 

Is it just me, or do the R179s I see on the (J) always happen to be traveling in the opposite direction that I am? Even in the morning during the AM rush hour—I'll get a set of R32s, R143s, or R160s, with the ocassional appearance of an R42 train. Put aside taking note of the specific trips that those 2 R179 sets make and tell me those trains aren't elusive, lol.