SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Hows ridership nowadays?

I find it varies greatly from route to route (and sometimes even individual sections of routes) especially on the bus side of things. For example I took the (L) to the B38 Saturday evening and the (L) was a ghost town but the B38 was mobbed.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was at the 3rd Avenue–149th Street (2)(5) Station a few days ago and noticed that the MetroCard bargain squad was camped out affront the turnstiles as usual. It was hilarious seeing that with the emergency gate wide open with the NYPD staring them down on the other side of the tracks.

1 hour ago, Kurtis said:

So I was at the 3rd Avenue–149th Street (2)(5) Station a few days ago and noticed that the MetroCard bargain squad was camped out affront the turnstiles as usual. It was hilarious seeing that with the emergency gate wide open with the NYPD staring them down on the other side of the tracks.

They don't care, and the NYPD is on a policing slowdown.

3 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Are R32s banned from operating in the Montague Tube?

Yes, because they screwed up rebuilding it and only trains that are after the R42 can only pass it. Quote from DJ Hammers:

The issue is that the cross-sectional area of an R1-R42 is bigger

Than an R44-179

When Montague was re-done after Sandy apparently antenna cable was hung that didn’t accept the clearances of R42 and below equipment

Issues near the roof line

It’s a technically complicated explanation for why it happened. Turned out that the clearance standards were for the “biggest cars”, which are the R44-68A

BUT they also used the cross sectional area of those cars as well

1 hour ago, vioreen said:

Could the issue be fixed?

Yes, and there's been considerable debate as to why it hasn't been yet.  Those cable brackets are a minor impediment that unfortunately have caused a major reduction in operational flexibility across that whole sector of the B Division.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Yes, but all pre R46 cars are retired so it makes no sense to spend money to fix this issue.

1. There's no solid confirmation yet from NYCT of R32s being permanently out of service; I'll believe it when I see it.

2. Even if they were indeed retired, you're forgetting about C Division; work trains, museum cars, other miscellaneous equipment- it adds up, so the problem will still be with us for several more years at least.   It's bad enough that the Montague thing was screwed up in the first place, it's worse that the MTA didn't take the contractors to task over it, but it's absolutely inconceivable to me that anybody would want to give the agency a free pass to let their glaring examples of incompetence continue completely unabated.

Their managerial inaction for the last few years on this clearance issue is a real-life equivalent of the old joke about the guy who cries because he sat on his nuts, but is too lazy to stand back up.

Edited by R10 2952

48 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yes, and there's been considerable debate as to why it hasn't been yet.  Those cable brackets are a minor impediment that unfortunately have caused a major reduction in operational flexibility across that whole sector of the B Division.

1. There's no solid confirmation yet from NYCT of R32s being permanently out of service; I'll believe it when I see it.

2. Even if they were indeed retired, you're forgetting about C Division; work trains, museum cars, other miscellaneous equipment- it adds up, so the problem will still be with us for several more years at least.   It's bad enough that the Montague thing was screwed up in the first place, it's worse that the MTA didn't take the contractors to task over it, but it's absolutely inconceivable to me that anybody would want to give the agency a free pass to let their glaring examples of incompetence continue completely unabated.

Their managerial inaction for the last few years on this clearance issue is a real-life equivalent of the old joke about the guy who cries because he sat on his nuts, but is too lazy to stand back up.

You really are not wrong, the fact that no one had gone and pointed this issue out is really confusing and unacceptable. Then again, the (MTA) in general has been like this for a very, very long time. Making promises that were never kept (I mean we could blame that finance, but that isn't always the issue) as well as doing things that just don't make sense at all. I sound like a broken record, but the (MTA) in all honesty shouldn't have demolished certain lines just because they didn't have a high enough ridership. That reason is not enough and could've at least been done differently by not demolishing, but keeping them around closed off to the public until ridership comes back. It is practically inevitable that ridership will increase. Even if they were supposed to be demolished, what is replacing it? A bus isn't always the best thing to replace it nor is it the best period. Capacity is an issue and something that a bus cannot handle. 3rd Av can be used as an example, iirc the (MTA) had some project(s) in the 70s to create more lines as well as reconstruct them (I can't remember what the name was called for it), which 3rd Av was planned on being rebuilt for better service in the Bronx. However due to financial situation, they couldn't which is understandable, but the fact that they haven't gone ahead and do something about or bring a better solution baffles me. It's such a disappointment that incompetency continues to this very day, kind of makes you wonder why people always trashes on the (MTA) even though they aren't always right, I just can't seem to find myself in ignoring what is happening with it. There are other factors as to why the (MTA) is what it is today, although I'm just going to stop right here. You guys can continue the topic or disagree with my statement.

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

but the (MTA) in all honesty shouldn't have demolished certain lines just because they didn't have a high enough ridership. That reason is not enough and could've at least been done differently by not demolishing, but keeping them around closed off to the public until ridership comes back.

You still have maintenance costs vs revenue, and the Els you're referring to were eyesores and dropped fluids and detritus on people below (similar to the situation a few years ago when things were falling onto cars from the (7) ).

So they were removed because they were problematic. 

On 11/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, Vulturious said:

Yes, because they screwed up rebuilding it and only trains that are after the R42 can only pass it. Quote from DJ Hammers:

I thought they purposely did it, to end the R32s faster, also there was no hope of them ever running on the Broadway line.

Quick question

I know the MTA recently finished accessibility work on the Chamber Street station on the (J) but are they going to rehab the rest the station? 
I know they covered up the side platform on the northbound side and they did some tile and platform work but the station is still a hot mess. 

19 minutes ago, Reptile said:

I thought they purposely did it, to end the R32s faster, also there was no hope of them ever running on the Broadway line.

The contractors have no idea about anything regarding rolling stock beyond the measurements on the page somebody hands them. So no, not a conspiracy to get rid of the 32s. And while there wasn't 'hope,' there should have been flexibility, in the event of an emergency, so that's why everybody's frustrated by the outcome. Not to mention the lessons learned from the first nostalgia trip that ran through there.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The contractors have no idea about anything regarding rolling stock beyond the measurements on the page somebody hands them. So no, not a conspiracy to get rid of the 32s. And while there wasn't 'hope,' there should have been flexibility, in the event of an emergency, so that's why everybody's frustrated by the outcome. Not to mention the lessons learned from the first nostalgia trip that ran through there.

What happened with the first trip?

A few more of the new station entrance signs are being installed at the entrances that were missing signs for the past few months. That probably means that time is running out for those old Akzidenz-Grotesk 80s signs temporarily revealed. I have to check if the new signs are enamel (contractor) or metal (sign shop), but they look professionally done.

I have seen about half the fluorescent lights of a Dyre Avenue bound (2) and (5) trains turn off at Baychester Avenue as the doors are closing up, only to come back on as it is departing to go to Dyre, and I have not seen the same thing happen on the Manhattan bound platform. I wonder if it was due to a third rail gap within that area, if it was because of a tragic accident at the Dyre platform that happened that led to that policy, or if it came from the older New York, Westchester, and Boston Railroad practice.

I think you could answer this question @Trainmaster5 as you spent most of your time via Dyre, some of it via Bronx Park.

6 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I have seen about half the fluorescent lights of a Dyre Avenue bound (2) and (5) trains turn off at Baychester Avenue as the doors are closing up, only to come back on as it is departing to go to Dyre, and I have not seen the same thing happen on the Manhattan bound platform. I wonder if it was due to a third rail gap within that area, if it was because of a tragic accident at the Dyre platform that happened that led to that policy, or if it came from the older New York, Westchester, and Boston Railroad practice.

I think you could answer this question @Trainmaster5 as you spent most of your time via Dyre, some of it via Bronx Park.

I have never experienced this problem as a rider or an employee. As a matter of fact I have never even heard this mentioned before by anyone else.  SMEE, NTT, or any other type of equipment. Is this something new ? I have no idea what causes this.  Carry on. 

14 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Is this something new?

No, it is not something new.

I've seen this happen before on the (2) train when it would go to Dyre and the (5) train. I do not know if it is some sort of ritual that Dyre conductors have been doing before I began to ride it regularly. I have not seen this happen at Mosholu Parkway on the (4) train, Buhre Avenue on the (6) local, Willets Point on the (7) train, 238 Street on the (1) and (2) trains, and the rest of the system (that is, the IND/BMT).