SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

25 minutes ago, Lex said:

Isn't the former largely contingent upon Lenox Terminal's closure? After all, they wouldn't want to have terminating (3) trains utterly wreck throughput, something that's of no concern when the (2) is split between 96th Street and one of the two stations directly under 149th Street.

Yes but considering the fact that 96th St is a terrible terminal to begin with (as it completely reduces the headways on the (2) due to there only being two tracks to relay on), 137th St makes more sense.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes but considering the fact that 96th St is a terrible terminal to begin with (as it completely reduces the headways on the (2) due to there only being two tracks to relay on), 137th St makes more sense.

A reroute of the (3) to 137 St-City College is typically due to maintenance between 145 St and 148 St, and means that the (2) is running normally otherwise. Sending the (3) to the Bronx just increases the amount of train crews needed to operate the service while providing service to 137 St gives riders to 145 St and 148 St, a closer alternative to those stations than having to wait on the street for a shuttle bus, while also not increasing train crew requirements.

if the (2) has to end at 96 St it’s usually because the work is south of 135 St, so the (3) is outright suspended. Sometimes the (2) has to relay at 103 St middle on the (1) track, reducing the headway to 12 minutes, but other times, the trains can relay just north of 96 St, allowing the (2) to keep the 8-minute headways between 96 St and Flatbush Av, due to having two tracks to relay on. There has been times when the (2) has been sent to 148 St (recently) but the headways are cut down to 12 minutes due to having to share 148 St with the (3). And yes you’re right about in the past, the (3) having to make local stops at 79 St and 86 St to allow (2) trains to terminate at 96 St, while the (3) was a thru train to 148 St. That practice was a disaster in practice, so I don’t think they do that anymore.

also, 137 St only has one track to relay on, so the headways are 12 minutes should they Have the (2)  or (3) relay there. using the 137 St yard just complicates service for the (1) that is passing thru

Edited by darkstar8983

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

A reroute of the (3) to 137 St-City College is typically due to maintenance between 145 St and 148 St, and means that the (2) is running normally otherwise. Sending the (3) to the Bronx just increases the amount of train crews needed to operate the service while providing service to 137 St gives riders to 145 St and 148 St, a closer alternative to those stations than having to wait on the street for a shuttle bus, while also not increasing train crew requirements.

if the (2) has to end at 96 St it’s usually because the work is south of 135 St, so the (3) is outright suspended. Sometimes the (2) has to relay at 103 St middle on the (1) track, reducing the headway to 12 minutes, but other times, the trains can relay just north of 96 St, allowing the (2) to keep the 8-minute headways between 96 St and Flatbush Av, due to having two tracks to relay on. There has been times when the (2) has been sent to 148 St (recently) but the headways are cut down to 12 minutes due to having to share 148 St with the (3). And yes you’re right about in the past, the (3) having to make local stops at 79 St and 86 St to allow (2) trains to terminate at 96 St, while the (3) was a thru train to 148 St. That practice was a disaster in practice, so I don’t think they do that anymore.

also, 137 St only has one track to relay on, so the headways are 12 minutes should they Have the (2)  or (3) relay there. using the 137 St yard just complicates service for the (1) that is passing thru

You’ve got the general idea about 96th and Broadway. In my experience we would utilize 103rd St middle and the switches on the express tracks north of the station if all services were suspended on Lenox Avenue . If the (2) was single tracked on Lenox Avenue it made sense to relay the (3) trains at 103rd middle because (1) and (2) wouldn’t be affected if everything worked as scheduled. I remember making my two trips s/b on the (3) and on the last trip I’d follow the (2) single tracking up to the 142nd St junction and then continue up to the Lenox yard as per the Sunday supplement. This way Lenox would have it’s full complement of trains for Monday morning service. IIRC the same thing applied on the Saturday supplement. This all depended on the G.O. in effect. The Times Square, 96th St and Lenox towers and dispatchers controlled the train movement in the area. My memories. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I'm guessing tomorrow with the snowstorm to start around 4 PM, partial express service may be suspended. That is the (5) in the Bronx and (B) on the Brighton line. 

We actually may enter the winter service plan with no service on the outside stations, if the predictions are true (12+ inches of snow!)

On 12/12/2020 at 11:23 AM, MrRF said:

Why are there so many R160s back on the N/W line? Is this a permanent thing?

Yeah today when I was coming down from Ditmars Blvd this morning (height of the rush hour), with the exception of one R68A on the (N), every train I saw while on my train (a R160), from Astoria to a Queensboro Plaza, was an R160. Maybe there aren’t any on the (Q), and therefore the Coney Island Pool is being used exclusively on the (N) / (W). Those R46s must really be in poor shape

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yeah today when I was coming down from Ditmars Blvd this morning (height of the rush hour), with the exception of one R68A on the (N), every train I saw while on my train (a R160), from Astoria to a Queensboro Plaza, was an R160. Maybe there aren’t any on the (Q), and therefore the Coney Island Pool is being used exclusively on the (N) / (W). Those R46s must really be in poor shape

All the R160’s have been on the (N) which freed up R68A’s for the (Q) it’s not permanent, it just got assigned that way with A.M. put ins. But yes the R46’s run on the shorter lines such as the (Q) and (W) however, I don’t Know for certain  if there is a serious issue with the R46’s but they’ve definitely been performing poorly and have been taken out of service countless times. 

17 minutes ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

I know I should already know this, but I've looked everywhere. Can somebody please tell me what an R142S is?

R142S was an supplement order to the R142A order. R142A supplement cars were the cars assigned to the (4) while the (6) had the orginal order of 142A's. "R142S" is exactly the same as the R142A mechanically.

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

R142S was an supplement order to the R142A order. R142A supplement cars were the cars assigned to the (4) while the (6) had the orginal order of 142A's. "R142S" is exactly the same as the R142A mechanically.

Thanks!! So basically they were identical to the 142As, the MTA just wanted more of them and decided to give them a different designation?

29 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Perhaps someone can inform me about this topic:

So lately I've been seeing pictures of a demolished Penn Station, but im confused since Penn Station (or at least I think its the same Penn Station) is still standing. Did I miss something in my history books?

Penn station and all its underground lines are still standing ever since it was built, but the above ground head-house structure was demolished in the 60's and Penn Station became mostly underground after renovations were made. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

I had a nice ride on an R46 (Q) last night. I noticed that C.I is giving some of these trains a good wash or something because some R46’s look shinier than usual. The set I caught had its interior lights swapped out on all 8 cars which is somewhat rare because random sets get put together.

It is still weird seeing the (N) & (Q) using mostly R46’s while the (R) has newer cars because for so many years it’s the opposite. Makes me wonder what was going through the head of riders when they saw the R46’s show up on the (N) for the first time. Bet many thought it was an (R) lol. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So lately I've been seeing pictures of a demolished Penn Station, but im confused since Penn Station (or at least I think its the same Penn Station) is still standing. Did I miss something in my history books?

This is one of the saddest stories in New York City history. The only silver lining is that the outrage is part of how we got the landmarks law, and saved the same thing from happening to Grand Central (its demolition was a possibility too).

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

If you are of a certain age like myself what is now called “ Penn Station “ is just a shell of what originally stood on that site. Basically what remains is the underground portion of the station. The original and the Farley Post Office across from it on the Eighth Avenue had a certain grandeur that was sadly unappreciated by some people. Check out the pictures of the original building and it’s surroundings from the earliest ones and up to the demolition. IIRC the demolition was an economic decision. Grand Central was the next target for destruction before the Landmarks community put a stop to it. BTW in my youth the correct titles were Pennsylvania Station and Grand Central Terminal not the names you hear announced on the subway today. The railroads garnered respect back then 😁. My remembrances. Carry on.

17 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The original and the Farley Post Office across from it on the Eighth Avenue had a certain grandeur that was sadly unappreciated by some people. Check out the pictures of the original building and it’s surroundings from the earliest ones and up to the demolition.

From pictures the neighborhood definitely looked better then than it does now - just random buildings put up with no theme.

That's one thing that's always disappointed me about NY and most big cities in the US - it's just a bunch of random styles thrown together hoping for cohesiveness. Whereas Paris - every building from residential to commercial conforms to the overall theme of regal grandeur. Or London - everything "looks" English.

Or DC - everything looks Romanesque and like it projects the might of the US government but with restraint.

Old Penn was the last attempt at NY having an architectural theme of beauty. Now it's just "be barely functional and it'll be enough".

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Whereas Paris - every building from residential to commercial conforms to the overall theme of regal grandeur. Or London - everything "looks" English.

Yeah, this one's always hard. On the one hand, Paris's architectural consistency, symmetry, and organization is beautiful and hard not to appreciate. On the other hand, that's all the product of the 'Haussmannization' of Paris during the middle of the 19th-century, which a lot of people blamed for destroying Paris's original architectural character and serving as a classist early ancestor of urban renewal. 

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

I think the CBTC signals have been activated at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. On the express tracks, seen a video that both the (E) and (F) trains arrive/depart the station with the green signal flipping on and off like the (7) on the 42 St line. 

They're doing in passenger cbtc testing during the off peak hours 

You guys have had such an effect on me. I'm sat here watching Season 2 Episode 11 of NBC's Manifest, and I literally yelled at the screen when they filmed a scene at Bowery saying the express ((J)) train wasn't stopping and it ran on the local tracks.

Dunno if that's good or bad, but it happened. Thanks y'all.

52 minutes ago, Deucey said:

You guys have had such an effect on me. I'm sat here watching Season 2 Episode 11 of NBC's Manifest, and I literally yelled at the screen when they filmed a scene at Bowery saying the express ((J)) train wasn't stopping and it ran on the local tracks.

Dunno if that's good or bad, but it happened. Thanks y'all.

That's funny as I think the (J) did skip Bowery on the local tracks in the 90s during rush hour.