SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange... It should be correct. Here's an example of a general template in the helvetica font:

Sin+t%C3%ADtulo-12.jpg

The Akzidenz-Grotesk font was used for the bullets in the late 80's into the early 90's I believe.

Akzidenz-Grotesk was used on every sign until the late 80s (with the exception of the J, which went Helvetica in the mid-80s). All signs since have been in Helvetica, but rollsigns on most R32s, some R42s, essentially all R62s/R62As, and a handful of R68s/R68As. At the same time, printed documents like service changes and all online bullets except for the J are in Akzidenz-Grotesk.

The one thing I've been trying to figure out is what some stations like West 4th, 34th St, and Astor Place use. The font is not quite AG nor Helvetica: the lower case Es are ever so slightly slanted. 

depositphotos_6311611-Subway-Station-NYC

I think that most closely resembles a font called Akzidenz-Grotesk Book:

1000px-Akzidenz-Grotesk_Book.svg.png

So the system may in fact be Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium for older rollsigns, printed bullets, and rare old signage; Impact for a few rare signs at South Ferry and Hoyt-Schermerhorn; Akzidenz-Grotesk Book for most 1990s signage; and Helvetica for modern signs. 

Edited by MHV9218

Akzidenz-Grotesk was used on every sign until the late 80s (with the exception of the J, which went Helvetica in the mid-80s). All signs since have been in Helvetica, but rollsigns on most R32s, some R42s, essentially all R62s/R62As, and a handful of R68s/R68As. At the same time, printed documents like service changes and all online bullets except for the J are in Akzidenz-Grotesk.

The one thing I've been trying to figure out is what some stations like West 4th, 34th St, and Astor Place use. The font is not quite AG nor Helvetica: the lower case Es are ever so slightly slanted. 

<PICTURES>

So the system may in fact be Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium for older rollsigns, printed bullets, and rare old signage; Impact for a few rare signs at South Ferry and Hoyt-Schermerhorn; Akzidenz-Grotesk Book for most 1990s signage; and Helvetica for modern signs. 

Could you make (MTA) Service Changes Docs./Posters? Possibly but it might be illegal?

Could you make (MTA) Service Changes Docs./Posters? Possibly but it might be illegal?

Sure, as long as you don't print them out and post them in the subway. 

Then again, people don't tend to pay attention to the signs anyway 

Passed by Fulton Street today, and saw about 20 people waiting for the (J) .

"The next Manhattan bound J train will arrive in approxamently 1,911 minutes."

Edited by 4P3607

Sure, as long as you don't print them out and post them in the subway. 

Then again, people don't tend to pay attention to the signs anyway 

"The next Manhattan bound J train will arrive in approxamently 1,911 minutes."

Do you edit them through Paint? Or as PDF?

Edited by Priincenene

The Q is another interesting exception to the rule. I think it changed over to Helvetica with the J in the mid 1980s because the 1984 27-38 rollsigns contain the Helvetica J and diamond Q, while also retaining the older AG/Standard C and R letters.

So...

R40 Slants:

sheet-r40slant_zps09280080.jpg

Equipped with General Electric (GE) SCM 17KG192AE2 propulsion system using GE 1257E1 motors (115 hp or 85.76 kW per axle). Now the R32's, R38's R62's, R68's and the R46s (in its current state) have the same amount of HP @ 115. But in my memory they were ridiculously fast cars, way faster in reality despite similar specifications. When the T/O applies power it kicks with major energy. The motors roar loudly when these SMEEs pick up top speed. The acceleration rate to me was notably higher than the rest.

*Exceptions  of course are the R160s and the R142s. Alstom Onix AC traction/Siemens SITRAC AC traction/Bombardier Model 1508C traction motors (corresponding to type of course, in no specific order) with a power output of 147.5 hp (110 kW) to 150 hp (112 kW) per axle.

Is it me or were the R40 Slants really some of the fastest cars in the system at the time during its heyday? Sure seemed that way.

I'll note that its heating system was great in the winter, and had really good A/C in the summer.

BTW, there is this one set on the <6> that's been pissing me off. Lol but I was riding an R142A (6) one day and that one set for some reason when this set is at a Manhattan stop, it says "This is a Manhattan bound.... (6) Train. The Next STOP is.... (Astor Place)".  Why and what is causing this to happen? Just curious. To hear it skip to 1:37

Edited by Priincenene

BTW, there is this one set on the <6> that's been pissing me off. Lol but I was riding an R142A (6) one day and that one set for some reason when this set is at a Manhattan stop, it says "This is a Manhattan bound.... (6) Train. The Next STOP is.... (Astor Place)". Why and what is causing this to happen?

There's nothing to be passed about. Brooklyn Bridge ststion is actually in Manhattan, not Brooklyn, so there's nothing wrong with the announcement. Now, the Brooklyn Bound F calling itself a Manhattan bound F express train at Roosevelt Island, THAT you should be angry about!

There's nothing to be passed about. Brooklyn Bridge ststion is actually in Manhattan, not Brooklyn, so there's nothing wrong with the announcement. Now, the Brooklyn Bound F calling itself a Manhattan bound F express train at Roosevelt Island, THAT you should be angry about!

That's not what I meant. I know Brooklyn Bridge is in Manhattan but my point is that whenever we're in a Manhattan stop on the (6), those announcements come on like "This is a Manhattan bound (6) Train" and the train IS IN MANHATTAN. But the Manhattan bound (F) announcement at Roosevelt Island is in Manhattan but they don't want to get the passengers confused that they are already in Manhattan and get off at the wrong stop. But yeah it should be FIXED!

It's a (very old) glitch in the 142 software. However, since it doesn't affect how the program runs or plays incorrect information that would easily confuse riders, it hasn't been fixed and probably won't be any time soon.

Not a good place to ask, but what is the correct font for the correct (Q) letter? The rest are curvy/none inside

The MTA is not very consistent with the fonts. Within the map itself (and you can get the PDF version right off the site to see for yourself), you can find references to the (Q) in 3 different fonts.

Having made custom bullets with various Helvatica-like fonts (including Akzidenz-Grotesk), I've found that the letter outlines never match the ones extracted from the map; they only get close, but sometimes deviate significantly. I don't know if it's because of rounding errors in the floating-point math used to scale the points in the software handling the fonts, but you could say that the MTA uses a font that can't be found in the public. The closest you will ever get is using the bullets directly from the map itself.

Went over the derailment site on a Manhattan bound (F) today (of course it was an R160). The tracks sound strange; it's like there are 6 separate third rail sections at that spot. 

Also saw the R32 set that was on the (R) . 3405 really does howl loud.

Edited by 4P3607

Went over the derailment site on a Manhattan bound (F) today (of course it was an R160). The tracks sound strange; it's like there are 6 separate third rail sections at that spot. 

They put the tracks back in already?Damn that was fast

They put the tracks back in already?Damn that was fast

Yup. Notice how when a crisis happens all the internal infighting in the MTA comes to a screeching halt and they actually accomplish things in a timely manner, putting aside differences. (i.e cutting out the work politics) . Now if they can do this on a regular basis....

Its back? Say werd...