SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

First off, there's a big difference between dancing on a wide open platform and doing the same in a confined subway car that's in motion and packed with riders. Also, these two weren't doing stunts that could potentially injure someone.

Another thing, the couple won their suit not because of the city overruling the MTA's Code of Conduct, but rather being detained for 23 hours by the NYPD.

Accordingly the MTA rules of conduct states that it is disorderly conduct to "block free movement on a station, stairway, platform or conveyance" So it applies. Thats how I look at it.

The couple were detained because they failed to show proper ID. Credit cards does not suffice as ID too bad for them. If this was in a poorer neighborhood the police will do the same thing if a local person under suspicion cannot show proper ID, they will be detained at the precinct. So the way I see it it was justified. 

​I see your argument, ok you are bringing a good set of cards to the table. My thing is that I dont believe in double standards, thats my jist of it.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me add my hardline opinion on this in advance.

7860544534_7293d0c0af_z.jpg

46 people and an additional at least another 50 urban youths have been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for dancing on trains. Fine but waitaminute....

7812dance.jpg

Interesting to note however, only one couple have been arrested for dancing the Charleston on the subway, but they got a pass like many hipsters do when they pull the same nomnsense and was awarded $75K for the infraction after the cops did what they had to do, and rightfully so, making no biased judgements. Calling the kettle black City of New York? So urban breakdancers should be thrown in jail with no mercy, but the privileged folks when doing the same gets a settlement? The prosecutors involved couldn't push the fact that they broke the rules, period. Gee no wonder Bratton is making the right call here on revising how to deal with breakdancers. Because its not just breakdancers disrupting subway service...

Laughable. I never knew the City of New York made an clause for exception to disrupting subway service if you are are an upper class commuter smut polka dancing after a stupid Lincoln Center concert in the middle of a crowded subway platform creating a danger to customers despite what the MTA rules of conduct says. Apparently having the money to pay for sinister lawyers who feels overruling following rules and regulations set by the MTA is what they call justice being served.

The litmus test for racism or economic discrimination is whether black people or poor people doing the same thing as the arrested couple did would be arrested, detained, and subsequently win a $75,000 award. You are comparing two things that can't be compared. Had a hipsters got into a crowded subway car and done the Charleston dance or "urban" dance with the cops watching, I don't think you'd doubt that the cops would be on their ass for dangerous conduct. But of course, they would never do that. And black folks don't do the Charleston on the platforms either (please prove me wrong here). So there is no data to support a comparison…

​I see your argument, ok you are bringing a good set of cards to the table. My thing is that I dont believe in double standards, thats my jist of it.

…and therefore, no double standard applied.

First off, there's a big difference between dancing on a wide open platform and doing the same in a confined subway car that's in motion and packed with riders. Also, these two weren't doing stunts that could potentially injure someone.

Another thing, the couple won their suit not because of the city overruling the MTA's Code of Conduct, but rather being detained for 23 hours by the NYPD.

Ah. The Devil is in the details. EDIT: And aren't we on the 666th page of this thread?

The way I see it, the Charleston is equally dangerous inside a subway car given the kind of moves involved however limited. On a platform, depending on where it is done, you just might shove a person into the tracks as they're passing through your performance.

Edited by CenSin

The litmus test for racism or economic discrimination is whether black people or poor people doing the same thing as the arrested couple did would be arrested, detained, and subsequently win a $75,000 award. You are comparing two things that can't be compared. Had a hipsters got into a crowded subway car and done the Charleston dance or "urban" dance with the cops watching, I don't think you'd doubt that the cops would be on their ass for dangerous conduct. But of course, they would never do that. And black folks don't do the Charleston on the platforms either (please prove me wrong here). So there is no data to support a comparison…

…and therefore, no double standard applied.

Ah. The Devil is in the details. EDIT: And aren't we on the 666th page of this thread?

The way I see it, the Charleston is equally dangerous inside a subway car given the kind of moves involved however limited. On a platform, depending on where it is done, you just might shove a person into the tracks as they're passing through your performance.

I edited the initial comment for deletion as I muse on your point further. Allow if you may to make final concluding comments on the hot topic and we'll let the kids continue with the discussion on their end.

In the light of what you've said thats why Commissioner Bratton wants to revise the rules on how breakdancing incidents are to be handled by the MTA and NYPD. In his estimation, he views the rash of arrests on breakdancers as something that borders along the lines of his policy to put an end to racial profiling. Therefore he is working with the MTA according to The Gothamist, coming up with an initiative that would allow breakdancers with free permits to perform in areas of the subway that are not dangerous or impedes the flow of traffic. The MTA rules may have to be revised in the process to allow performances in station mezzanines, as current TAB rules are very vague on what constitutes appropriate areas for such urban arts performances on MTA property.

I think thats a good compromise to allow for performance permits on mezzanines as it is understood that it is dangerous to customers to cause disruptions like this on station platforms or trains regardless of dancing the Charleston or breakdancing, in the light that Bratton recognizes that breakdancing for that matter is indeed an intricate part of urban performing arts that makes NYC what it is as a unique city in a class of its own. 

Thats my final thought on this.

East New York's R160s got a program update. (J) trains now Read "Jamaica Local" and "Jamaica Exp" does this program simplify commuting options for passengers? Or will they get confused and think the train only runs in Queens?

After school, whenever an R32 or R42 shows up first on the Queens-bound side at Norwood Avenue, I remain on the (J) (after an RFW in both directions on the entirety of the route) until Broadway Junction. Then I get on the (L), get off at Livonia, then run over to Junius (3) (yes, I used my Student MetroCard a third time and that's it), then get off at Rutland and continue on my way home, which isn't so far at all. By the time I'm on the (L) and (3) platforms, respectively, they are only about a minute or two away. I've timed the running time on my way home from Jamaica to Rutland and this way is significantly faster. This is the evening rush hour.

Back then, I ran over to the first car and get off at Alabama. Several times I've waited nearly a half-hour or nearly a full hour for the B12 bus and how severely overcrowded it was. During the long wait, about 4 Manhattan-bound (J) trains passed leaving Alabama. It is much faster for me to take the (J) to the (L), then the (3), than to get off at Alabama (at the front of the train) and waiting, waiting and waiting for the B12 bus. I can't believe I haven't thought of this at first. Damn.

Edited by RollOver

Let's see who knows their Seinfeld trivia....what does the ad wrap train and Mets-Willets Point have in common?

Kramer and Newman went to see a game at Shea Stadium (which was Willets Point-Shea Stadium at the time the episode takes place), where they accused Keith Hernandez of spitting on them, when, in fact, it was Roger McDowell.

Edited by MTA Bus

In the light of what you've said thats why Commissioner Bratton wants to revise the rules on how breakdancing incidents are to be handled by the MTA and NYPD. In his estimation, he views the rash of arrests on breakdancers as something that borders along the lines of his policy to put an end to racial profiling. Therefore he is working with the MTA according to The Gothamist, coming up with an initiative that would allow breakdancers with free permits to perform in areas of the subway that are not dangerous or impedes the flow of traffic. The MTA rules may have to be revised in the process to allow performances in station mezzanines, as current TAB rules are very vague on what constitutes appropriate areas for such urban arts performances on MTA property.

I think thats a good compromise to allow for performance permits on mezzanines as it is understood that it is dangerous to customers to cause disruptions like this on station platforms or trains regardless of dancing the Charleston or breakdancing, in the light that Bratton recognizes that breakdancing for that matter is indeed an intricate part of urban performing arts that makes NYC what it is as a unique city in a class of its own. 

Thats my final thought on this.

The best possible outcome is probably what's going to happen in the near future: issuing of free permits to perform in safe locations. Meanwhile, they just need to maintain the pressure on these activities on the train and platforms. That's about as good as it can get and as much as I can say about it.

The best possible outcome is probably what's going to happen in the near future: issuing of free permits to perform in safe locations. Meanwhile, they just need to maintain the pressure on these activities on the train and platforms. That's about as good as it can get and as much as I can say about it.

I agree. I think thats a excellent compromise on the part of Commissioner Bratton as well.

OMG the 6666th post in this thread!

... And yet, nothing even remotely sinister has happened.

Surprisingly,

and also I thought that the R46s only ran on the Q immediately after 9/11 but then I saw this

img_136514.jpg

Line: IND 63rd Street

Route: Q

Car: R-46 (Pullman-Standard, 1974-75) 

Photo by: Mark S. Feinman

Date: 1989

If I'm going out on Sunday to catch the TOMC, for sure I'm aiming for that 3-in-one shot at Main Street. TOMC-R62A-R188. Will be epic!

I remember a couple years ago on a TOMC/Low V trip at Gun Hill Road on the 2, the TOMC and Low V both slowly left GH Road N/B while a OOS 142 slowly came into the station S/B, thus setting up that 3 peat shot.. I wonder if the TA will do something like that this weekend.