SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Went over the derailment site on a Manhattan bound (F) today (of course it was an R160). The tracks sound strange; it's like there are 6 separate third rail sections at that spot. 

Also saw the R32 set that was on the (R) . 3405 really does howl loud.

Was it slower than usual or not?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good, thanks for the link, +1. Those TGC3 and TGC4 geometry track inspection cars are very technologically advanced with their state-of-the-art ultrasonic rail flaw detection systems. One thing that got me even though it makes complete sense, these cars can go at very high speeds, and for a reason.

For those interested, the New York Transit Museum gave a sneak peak on the progress of restoration of the IND pump car. Check it out here:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152167709723843&id=89895068842&set=a.190236633842.131481.89895068842&source=46&refid=13

If you also look carefully, you might find a sneak glimpse of one of the R110A pump cars to the right.

(Q) No trains between 57 St-7 Av and Ditmars Blvd

Days, 10 AM to 3 PM, Wed to Fri, May 7 - 9

(Q) service operates between Stillwell Av and 57 St-7 Av.

• Take the (N) instead. Transfer between trains at Times Sq-42 St (across the platform).

Note: Please review advisories for additional information that may affect your trip.

Alternate travel note:

(N) service is also available at 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St.

So,this would mean that Q trains are skipping 49th st.Because otherwise you can't go "across the platform" at Times Square.Correct?

Edited by Abba

Yep. While it is possible, it doesn't make much sense for the Q as the Broadway Express to cut over to the local tracks at 34 St then bounce back over to the express tracks to terminate at Midtown-57 St. I don't know why Transit has gotten out of the habit of mentioning that the Q trains will also bypass 49 St when this GO is in effect.

I don't think regular Broadway rider should assume that the (Q) always stops at 49 Street. Repeat occurences should already drive home the fact that trains that express trains terminating at 57 Street don't stop at 49 Street. Even some trains extended to Astoria don't (such as during the previous weekend). But of course, people don't pay attention.

That's my point. When this GO was done in the past, Transit explicitly stated that Q trains would not stop at 49 St. I don't know why they stopped doing that, but they really reconsider their decision.

As long as it takes to build a full-length Second Avenue line.

All jokes aside, even if they blitzed every station, completely shutting several down concurrently to install elevators and other ADA necessities, and money was not an issue, it would likely take several years, if not at the very least a decade to make the entire subway accessible.

This is off topic, but is #8277-8280 back in service yet? Those R143s have been gone for almost 8 years now.

8278–8280 are still at 207th St awaiting work and I think 8277 is at the Kawasaki Plant in Yonkers but I'm not absolutely sure.