SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Today there were a lot of R46 on the (R) . The derailment set (5742-5743-5745-5744) is still between Queens Plaza and 36 Street. There is also an R46 in Concourse yard (6080).

Why is it that every time a new train model comes out, the railfans always praise the company who built the trains for "their" great design? Isn't it the designers within the customer's company that well, come up with the design?

Since the designers work for the company, they are part of the company so technically they did come up with the design. The general company itself may not have come up with it, but people who work for them did and they are the ones who built it.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually only subway cars have custom specs.. Locomotives are usually bought off the shelf so railfans giving props to a builder for making a good loco makes sense. But I agree it doesn't make since for fans to praise builders for a good subway car, since afalk the TA makes the specs for the train so the builder knows how to assemble the cars.

Usually only subway cars have custom specs.. Locomotives are usually bought off the shelf so railfans giving props to a builder for making a good loco makes sense. But I agree it doesn't make since for fans to praise builders for a good subway car, since afalk the TA makes the specs for the train so the builder knows how to assemble the cars.

Im pretty sure that if the R142 was built by Kawasaki,it would be better designed.

If the MTA gave Kawasaki the poorly designed mess they gave Bombardier,They would laugh out loud...

I mean really who was the idiot who thought all the lines and creases in the design of the front would look good after 10 years...

The Transit Visualization Client is on the the coolest apps ever

http://tracker.geops.ch/?z=10&s=1&lat=40.82472159414295&lon=-73.9215087890625

My only issue is that some lines cut across between two points but other than that it is fanastic...

That is truly amazing! WOW

Thanks for finding that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today while on a trip to the Transit Museum, I happened to be on the R44 subway car when I peered right into the cab window. I noticed they were using the cab as storage for a huge box of light tubes. But then on the operator's seat I saw something more interesting.

There was a group of wires coming right out from an open upper panel above where the train operator would sit. This mess of wires came down and were then hooked up to what appeared to be two black boxes, resting on a blue cooler, which rested on the operator's seat.

One of those two black boxes had a green light on. It appeared to me to be either a radio or a modem of some sort (I'm not sure what these are). These boxes were plugged into a power brick on the floor. That power brick was plugged into one of those thick orange extension cords that went up to the cab window facing the wall, going up along the wall, over the railcar, and then plugged into a support column.

I have no idea what was going on in there. But I'm guessing they're trying to figure out a way to get the LCD signs working? I haven't been there in a while, but I also see that they figured out how to stop that annoying electric buzzing under-carriage sound.

So any ideas what I was looking at?

Thanks

MF '86
<4>

Wow. I missed an (N) that left 4 minutes early and caught a (D) that left 1 minute late. Is there any point to the displays that count down to train departures?

Welcome to the commuter hell that is called the infamous Dekalb Ave Interlocking. I'm at a loss for words at this point on how this congestion point causes me grief....

Welcome to the commuter hell that is called the infamous Dekalb Ave Interlocking. I'm at a loss for words at this point on how this congestion point causes me grief....

I know I rarely ride the other lines except for the (3), (4), (A) / (C) and (J), but I actually do want to know how bad the congestion gets on those four BMT lines that cross the Manhattan Bridge. The track design north of DeKalb sure does seem alot better though, unlike the Rogers junction of course (as well as the delays that downstream further at Utica and Flatbush respectively).

The Transit Visualization Client is on the the coolest apps ever

http://tracker.geops.ch/?z=10&s=1&lat=40.82472159414295&lon=-73.9215087890625

My only issue is that some lines cut across between two points but other than that it is fanastic...

Excellent find! I agree with Orion that it would be even better with fleet numbers, though it could be a problem with subways, being that there are 8-11 cars in most of the trains...

I can see what you meant about the line cutting. I saw a (1) passing under Battery Park, and an (A) that meandered north of High Street altogether. Good stuff though.

It was Coney Island (to your surprise)!

Besides the numbering, How else would I be able to tell an R44, R46 and R68/A apart? They all look the same

Is it true that from R44 onwards then the RFWs use the diffuse-light glass panel?

R44s and R46s do not like R68/As at all.

250px-SIR_R44_SMS_Saint_George_Terminal_

R44s

Differences between the R44s and R46s The R44s are almost identical to the R46s. However, there are some small differences between the two car models:

• The New York City Subway R44s featured Westinghouse propulsion systems while the Staten Island Railway R44s and the R46s feature General Electric propulsion systems.
  • The R44 has a glass panel in the upper frame of each door windscreen, while the R46 does not have any barrier above waist-height.
  • The door for the motorman's cab on the R44 is narrower than on the R46 and pivots open rather than sliding (on the R46, it is almost identical to the storm door at the blind end)
  • The lower band of the R44 exterior is made of low-alloy high-tensile steel, forming a large gray bar, whereas this area is stainless steel like the rest of the car body on the R46.
  • The R44 features WABCO tread brake units while the R46 features New York Air Brake "SMEE" braking system.
  • The R44 door indicator lights adjacent to the doors are smaller than those found on the R46.
  • The armrests on the R44 models adjacent to the transverse seats features more abrupt edges than the armrests on the R46 models, which are comparatively smoother.

250px-R46_A_Far_Rockaway_1.JPG

R46

250px-NYCSubway2590.jpg

R68

Differences between R68s and R68As

• The door to the operator's cab slides open on an R68A as opposed to swinging open on an R68.
  • The R68 and R68A fleets have different window frames.
  • Unlike the R68s, the R68As do not feature rims around the red door indicator lights.
  • The "MTA New York City Subway" logos are arranged differently between the two car types.
  • The side ribbing runs all the way to the car ends and side doors on an R68, but taper off on approach on an R68A.
  • Only the R68s have a metal bar separating the side sign from window, while the R68A has one solid pane of glass.
  • The R68s have unit numbers in the 2000-series while the R68As have numbers in the 5000-series.

250px-R68A_B_train.JPG

R68A

Edited by Union Tpke

Excellent research on your part Union Tpke. Perhaps one day you really need to consider publishing a hardcover book on NYC Transit history as many have done in the past. Many railroading historians has done so with major success. You are an excellent writer, and I am greatly impressed. +1.

Excellent research on your part Union Tpke. Perhaps one day you really need to consider publishing a hardcover book on NYC Transit history as many have done in the past. Many railroading historians has done so with major success. You are an excellent writer, and I am greatly impressed. +1.

Thanks

This is a great website with a whole lot of transit info.

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/index.php

Realizm check out these vids from Joe Korman.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/movies/w-west-end.htm

Side note: Its fascinating to see the overengineered architecture of the Utica Ave station with the overhead vault ceiling arrangement. Allowing for two tracks slated for the never built Utica Ave IND line i.e Second System. Betcha the average commuter is unaware of why the station was built like this.