SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Side note: Its fascinating to see the overengineered architecture of the Utica Ave station with the overhead vault ceiling arrangement. Allowing for two tracks slated for the never built Utica Ave IND line i.e Second System. Betcha the average commuter is unaware of why the station was built like this.

Any photos?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img_141578.jpg

Photo by: Daniel Negron
Date: 1/14/2014
Notes: Utica Avenue - unused mezzanine areas for 2nd System transfer

img_141569.jpg

img_141570.jpg

img_141571.jpg

Notes: Utica Avenue - unused IND 2nd System trackways

img_141572.jpg

img_141573.jpg

img_141576.jpg

img_141577.jpg

img_141568.jpg

img_141575.jpg

img_141564.jpg

img_141565.jpg

img_141566.jpg

img_141567.jpg

img_141574.jpg

img_141578.jpg

Notes: Utica Avenue - unused mezzanine areas for 2nd System transfer

img_141569.jpg

img_141570.jpg

img_141571.jpg

Notes: Utica Avenue - unused IND 2nd System trackways

img_141572.jpg

img_141573.jpg

img_141576.jpg

img_141577.jpg

img_141568.jpg

img_141575.jpg

img_141564.jpg

img_141565.jpg

img_141566.jpg

img_141567.jpg

img_141574.jpg

Don't know what went wrong, but more are at

http://nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?bnN0YSBpbiAoMjg4NSl8MHw1fDUwfFNob3dpbmd8L3dpa2kvU3RhdGlvbjpfVXRpY2FfQXZlbnVlXyhGdWx0b25fU3RyZWV0X1N1YndheSl8bnllYXIgZGVzYyxubW9uIGRlc2MsbmRheSBkZXNj

http://nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?bnN0YSUyMGluJTIwKDI4ODUpfDUwfDV8NTB8U2hvd2luZ3wvd2lraS9TdGF0aW9uOl9VdGljYV9BdmVudWVfKEZ1bHRvbl9TdHJlZXRfU3Vid2F5KXxueWVhciBkZXNjLG5tb24gZGVzYyxuZGF5IGRlc2M=

And pretty brave for daring to venture into such an area.

Skeptic or non skeptic, you couldn't pay me enough to step foot in such creepy halls. *shudders*

After watching many, many horror movies, my imagination just about expects anything to happen in the darkness.

Why do the tracks make so much noise when trains cross over them? Like I was on a (Q) train Saturday (windows were open, train was crushloaded) and as we're going across the Manhattan Bridge, through Dekalb Ave, and Atlantic, it's just rough and constant banging and shyt. Then the stretch between 7th Ave and Prospeck Park was nice and smooth and quiet. Does that just show how f**ked up the tracks are, if it makes all that constant banging noise?

Also, I was on the (L) Saturday, and in the middle of the tracks I saw a spare rail soaked in garbage/water...looked like it was rotting. Do they use those tracks for replacements? That's disgusting and unsafe.

Why do the tracks make so much noise when trains cross over them? Like I was on a (Q) train Saturday (windows were open, train was crushloaded) and as we're going across the Manhattan Bridge, through Dekalb Ave, and Atlantic, it's just rough and constant banging and shyt. Then the stretch between 7th Ave and Prospeck Park was nice and smooth and quiet. Does that just show how f**ked up the tracks are, if it makes all that constant banging noise?

Also, I was on the (L) Saturday, and in the middle of the tracks I saw a spare rail soaked in garbage/water...looked like it was rotting. Do they use those tracks for replacements? That's disgusting and unsafe.

It's the rail they use. It's just the train going over the track joints. Between Atlantic and Prospect Park, the rails are on ballast so it dampens out the noise for the most part

Totally as FP said.

To add sometimes if the wheels are not trued, (By a truing machine within one of the two major overhaul shops, 207th and CI, to even out the circumference of the wheels and remove flat spots) flat wheels will compound the noize produced by the train.

I believe Corona Yard will also be receiving a truing machine. They might have one installed by now because I read this last year from an article.

The ones on the Washington Metro are nearly silent. They can sneak up on you quickly if you're not paying attention.

I find this statement interesting considering that I came home yesterday from DC and when we took the Metro from Union Station to Foggy Bottom-GWU (we were staying in the State Plaza hotel) The trains especially the Blue Line at Metro Center were louder than a (R) at Bay Ridge Av,my home station (but that may be because of the traction motors on the WMATA 5000 series being louder than a R160)

I believe that the rail they dump in the ditches is old rail. I think its just the (MTA) being too lazy to throw it away so they just leave it there and forget about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong

I believe that the rail they dump in the ditches is old rail. I think its just the (MTA) being too lazy to throw it away so they just leave it there and forget about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Makes sense to me.

I mean we have guard rails for switch points and radial curves but the way 4888 described with old rails being tossed in the drain corridors of the trackbeds yeah its just sitting there for pickup I guess as scrap metal.

Just got off an R46 F with side LCDs as the M via Sea Beach and the rollsign as the (K). Got photos, up later.

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Edited by realizm

I find this statement interesting considering that I came home yesterday from DC and when we took the Metro from Union Station to Foggy Bottom-GWU (we were staying in the State Plaza hotel) The trains especially the Blue Line at Metro Center were louder than a (R) at Bay Ridge Av,my home station (but that may be because of the traction motors on the WMATA 5000 series being louder than a R160)

I was there last month, and usually moving around on the Red Line. They are definitely quieter.

Just got off an R46 F with side LCDs as the M via Sea Beach and the rollsign as the (K). Got photos, up later.

I saw that train at West 4 Street and had everyone staring at me when I exclaimed "WTF?!?!!"

My only guess is someone broke into the cab and changed the sign...

I saw that train at West 4 Street and had everyone staring at me when I exclaimed "WTF?!?!!"

My only guess is someone broke into the cab and changed the sign...

LOL GORDON you are always at the rarest sights! :P

Running an R38 (F) on Openbve :P FOAM NOW :D

The Transit Visualization Client is on the the coolest apps ever

http://tracker.geops.ch/?z=10&s=1&lat=40.82472159414295&lon=-73.9215087890625

My only issue is that some lines cut across between two points but other than that it is fanastic...

This is so Fake!!!! It's based on schedule not live tracking! Trains don't stop, and turn around immediately. I tested it out this weekend, said there was 1 N on the Astoria Line, meanwhile I just missed an (N) at 30th, an (N) was across the platform 2 min later, and then an (N) came 3 min later. None of these trains were on the tracker. I then tested it out at Citi Field and again, completely wrong! Nice idea though...

This is so Fake!!!! It's based on schedule not live tracking! Trains don't stop, and turn around immediately. I tested it out this weekend, said there was 1 N on the Astoria Line, meanwhile I just missed an (N) at 30th, an (N) was across the platform 2 min later, and then an (N) came 3 min later. None of these trains were on the tracker. I then tested it out at Citi Field and again, completely wrong! Nice idea though...

The MTA itself can't even manage to track its trains by computer. How do you expect a website to track trains that run on a system dependent on punch boxes to select its route?