SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice catch. Surprised the sign would say Ozone Park. 

If I remember correctly, all cars with interactive maps or FIND have a copy of every line at their disposal.

The combinations and possibilities are endless. But this is quite the gem. This vindicates a certain someone's signature... 

The BMT planned for the Broadway line to continue north through Central Park, where was it supposed to go? Adam Clayton Powell Blvd(7th Ave)? Would there be no stops between 57th Street and 110th Street?

It was going to go west on Central Park South to Columbus Circle then up 8th Avenue like the current (C) train.

When the 8th Avenue line was originally proposed as a BMT route, the line was to run from Washington Heights (around 193rd Street) to the Penn Station area near 30th Street. The line was intended to be four-tracks from 173rd Street to 64th Street. Two tracks would've continued down Central Park West and 8th Avenue to 30th Street while the other two were to branch off and connect to the then-new Broadway subway.

In a later plan, the stub tracks at 57 Street were to be used for a new line directly under Central Park and along Morningside Ave, running to 145th Street. As the IND didn't want to siphon riders from their own 8th Avenue line, this idea was quickly abandoned.

Hmmm, seems like that rehab of the 4th Avenue express tracks will take place. Look at this line item in a hearing notice on federal funding:

Proposed Program of Projects
Federal Fiscal Year 2018
Agency
New York City Transit
Project Name
Priority Repairs: 4th Avenue (2010-2014)
ACEP ID
T6070316
Planning Number / PIN
MW50-6593
Object/Purpose of Project
The purpose of this project is to address critic
al structural component repairs on the 4th Avenue
Line in Brooklyn.
Units/Locations/Limits
Between 36th Street and 59th Street
Station, 4th Avenue Line, Brooklyn.
Summary
This project will rehabilitate the 1.1 mile segment of subway tunnel between 36th Street and 59th
Street on the 4th Avenue Line, including replacement of columns, concrete center wall, ventilator
gratings and drip pans, repair of other steel and concrete defects, and related tunnel lighting and
cable work.
The budget for this project is $29.34 million. This request is for $29.34 million.

page 34: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/170912/pdf/hearing-notice170912.pdf

Two things:

The (M) Shuttle has the brown (M) logo on the train but orange (M) displayed outside with the caution sign 

Also, the (5) still has the Express spelled out on their trains during weekends. It seems that most of the trains on weekdays still has the EXP but with the LOC 

This I agree with. The (D)(N) aren't fast enough and don't go express until 36 St and 59 St, respectively. One time when I was going home from Coney Island we bailed the (Q) at Brighton Beach just to get to the express (B) so sending it to Coney would be so good.

In a way, it's kinda like taking the (3) local at New Lots to get the (4) express at Utica, only shorter

Around the time the 142s came in

Yes

I think there was no need for the (3) to lose the 62As. Should've left things alone

I think there was no need for the (3) to lose the 62As. Should've left things alone

I don't know which is which, but the (3) always has much better AC than the (1). Really annoying, along with the insanely loud speakers on the (1). We know the doors are closing. <_< The chiming noise on the (1) train cars is way too loud.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It was like a 3 way trade with the (3)(4) and (7)

When the 142s came in, those pushed the 62s on the (4) to the (3) which in turn started pushing the 62As to the (7) which started to slowly retire the redbirds.

It was like a 3 way trade with the (3)(4) and (7)

When the 142s came in, those pushed the 62s on the (4) to the (3) which in turn started pushing the 62As to the (7) which started to slowly retire the redbirds.

I would've used the 142/As definitely for the (2), (5), and the (7). The (6) had mix 62As and Redbirds, so the 142s could've gone there too. BTW, what was the total order of R142/A cars?

I would've used the 142/As definitely for the (2), (5), and the (7). The (6) had mix 62As and Redbirds, so the 142s could've gone there too. BTW, what was the total order of R142/A cars?

The R62's should have been transferred to (7) because of the exterior speakers then those 62's could have been on the (6) the Lexington Avenue Line would have benefited better from having exterior speakers.