SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 minute ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Hopefully all the R143's get that 'Cuomo' refurbishment that the R160's are getting they're definitely showing their age. The interiors are dimmer and more beat up than the slightly older R142/a's.

The R142s and R142As could use a touching up as well (and even the R160s).  As it is, it's a travesty that the R188 conversions didn't at the very least get new lights or a touchup.  Although has been mentioned earlier, they were supposed to get cleaned per the conversion, but of course that got dropped.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Hopefully all the R143's get that 'Cuomo' refurbishment that the R160's are getting they're definitely showing their age. The interiors are dimmer and more beat up than the slightly older R142/a's.

As a regular (L) rider, I don't agree. The R143s are just fine the way they are and a train getting the "Cuomo" treatment usually means loss of seats, no thanks.  

27 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

As a regular (L) rider, I don't agree. The R143s are just fine the way they are and a train getting the "Cuomo" treatment usually means loss of seats, no thanks.  I see you like dirty trains and sprint for seats... the (L) really should have gotten the same treatment the (E) cars got, imo. 

27 minutes ago, JTrainUK said:

Took the (E) today for the first time in a little while, and it made me wonder: when was the last time anything other than an R160 ran on it, and what type of train was it? 

The last time the (E) ever ran another train car was in the late 2000's, and I think it was a bunch of R32's and 42's that have since been scrapped.  

5 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

The last time the (E) ever ran another train car was in the late 2000's, and I think it was a bunch of R32's and 42's that have since been scrapped.  

The early 90’s it was R46. 2001-2009 it was all R32. Mid to late 2008-2010 it was R32, R40M/R42’s this was when the R160’s started to arrive. 

12 minutes ago, VIP said:

The early 90’s it was R46. 2001-2009 it was all R32. Mid to late 2008-2010 it was R32, R40M/R42’s this was when the R160’s started to arrive. 

If I'm correct, the last time OTTs ran on the (E) was the final week of 2008, which was with R32s and a few R40M/42s.

You know what really erks me? It's how the MTA isn't consistent with their planned service changes.

Last Sunday, when the (J) wasn't running between Hewes St and Broad St, I saw the service poster at Canal St when I got off the (Q) and it said to take the uptown (6) to Broadway-Laf and then the (F) to get to Essex St where shuttle buses are available.

So I went to the uptown (6) platform and I found another poster that said uptown (4) and (6) trains were running express between Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Central.

If the MTA wants to plan these things, they should at LEAST include other G.O's in posters to not have this issue where one poster tells someone to take an uptown (6) when uptown (6) trains aren't even running local.

Not only that, I've noticed the last few times the MTA has had a Lex Express G.O for all three lines, they didn't even bother to tape off the local platform at 14th St-Union Square, and about 20 people wasted an hour waiting for a (6) local that was never going to come.

23 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

From time to time R46s ran on the (E) too thru out 2001-2009

Very rarely.  The main reason the (E) has been 98% 60' cars is because of its heavy ridership and the fact that R46s don't handle crowds as well.

Good news is for those in Manhattan and the Bronx extended (5) service. The (5)  would normally start late and end early on a 'normal' weekend schedule. (5) runs better on the weekends than weekday (Monday-Thursday) evenings. MTA also saves money as long as these changes are in effect. The (3) is also extended late night  and early morning to 14 St (instead of 42 St), so there is another positive.

Edited by GreatOne2k

I mean I could understand for a Monday holiday (Christmas and New Years come to mind) but a Thursday holiday where people specifically need to go to the West Side for the parade? That’s not fair for Brooklyn riders.

Speaking of New Years tho... New Years Eve is on a Sunday; are they still going to close the Clark tube on that day as well?

7 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I mean I could understand for a Monday holiday (Christmas and New Years come to mind) but a Thursday holiday where people specifically need to go to the West Side for the parade? That’s not fair for Brooklyn riders.

Speaking of New Years tho... New Years Eve is on a Sunday; are they still going to close the Clark tube on that day as well?

Yes, MTA made the (2) / (5) swap regular weekend service until Summer 2018 so the Clark Street Tunnels will be closed that day. 

The tunnels will also be closed on President's Day and Memorial Day as well. The tunnels were also closed on 4th of July (Tuesday).

Edited by GreatOne2k

4 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Yes, MTA made the (2) / (5) swap regular weekend service until Summer 2018 so the Clark Street Tunnels will be closed that day. 

The tunnels will also be closed on President's Day and Memorial Day as well. The tunnels were also closed on 4th of July (Tuesday).

Nvm. I just saw they updated it.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

7 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Good news is for those in Manhattan and the Bronx extended (5) service. The (5)  would normally start late and end early on a 'normal' weekend schedule. (5) runs better on the weekends than weekday (Monday-Thursday) evenings. MTA also saves money as long as these changes are in effect. The (3) is also extended late night  and early morning to 14 St (instead of 42 St), so there is another positive.

The (3) to 14st should remain all times on the late night...34st and 14st are key connection stations and it not like it's in the way of (1) :2: service...

23 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I love how the MTA just admitted that there's zero work going on in the Clark Street tunnel today. Basically the (2) and (3) is suspended in Brooklyn for no reason.

22 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Like they couldn't publish a supplement schedule? Really!

Not to defend these folks, but the (2)(3)(4)(5) services on Thursday were according to the official schedule in place through next year. It may be a major variance from the normal weekday schedule but it was not a variance of the present normal weekend schedule.

53 minutes ago, Lance said:

Not to defend these folks, but the (2)(3)(4)(5) services on Thursday were according to the official schedule in place through next year. It may be a major variance from the normal weekday schedule but it was not a variance of the present normal weekend schedule.

Yes, but I am saying that they could have a supplement schedule ready for holidays that use weekend schedules but don't have work done on the tubes.

19 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Subway Time showed the Clark Street tunnels open after 1am for some reason with the (2) to Brooklyn and the (5) as a Dyre shuttle.  The (3) was shown to be ending at 42 St, MTA needs to fix those errors, as the Sunday (2)/(3)/(5) schedules should have been in effect until 5am, not 12-1am.

I don't think that was an error. I remember seeing a sign at Fulton Street saying the closure ended at 1 AM Friday when I was transferring to the (3) Train the day before Thanksgiving.