BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Interesting thought: 8574 from Yukon is on the S79 right now doing a SBS trip. Spotted in Bay Ridge. 

I guess Yukon is holding on to their NG’s for a bit longer. 

Well since there isn't any SBS LFS' out let, they use the SBS NG's on the S79. The new LFS' frequently show up on the S79 now. 

Since all of the LFS' haven't been delivered yet, there are still some NG's out there. There is only 21 local NG's left (down from 48) so they did some progress for the local buses. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There is no real need or demand for this free transfer anymore. If anything if there is demand add an extra transfer and call it a day.

They are upgrading the bus transfer by making it ADA accessible. Nothing is happening to it.

35 minutes ago, Lex said:

If that was in the Q12 thread, take it with a heap of salt.

25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Don’t believe everything you take or see. 

If that were to actually happen, I wouldn't be surprised. The MTA is trying to gut as much service as possible before the borough redesign plans are released so they have less service to redistribute.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If that were to actually happen, I wouldn't be surprised. The MTA is trying to gut as much service as possible before the borough redesign plans are released so they have less service to redistribute.

They'll axe service regardless; before the fact, as part of the redesigns themselves, and/or after the fact.....

I don't see service cuts as some sort of prerequisite.

The other day I had an Idea for an S57 service adjustment.

Wagner high school is one of the biggest high school in the city. However, the closest bus (or any mode of public transportation) on the Weekends since the S54 doesn't run at those times, is the S57 which is about a half a mile from the school, which can be a PITA walk in cold weather. HS kids go to school on the weekends for all sorts of things like sports and classes on the weekends so bus service should be available to them. My plan is to have approximately half of the buses serve Wagner HS by making a left on Brielle and south on Manor and then left on Rockland and continue the normal route and vise versa. The other buses would continue to serve Seaview Hospital. S57 service to Wagner HS would run 7 days a week. Ridership in the greenbelt is low so this adjustment wouldn't have a huge impact on people.

Here's a mock schedule, tell me what you think!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fEhw-4kMXZMjAqI3edb1hJsbSJOmx3FeFD7rFGEiCT4/edit?usp=sharing

Random thought of the day: Ulmer Park slaps ads on their newer XD40’s.  Only issue I have is that with the newer XD40’s the rear ad is not in its usual position like the 2015 XD40’s.  Some buses have a 30x215 Northfield Bank billboard. 

..... also Gun Hill and Flatbush slapping ads on their SBS fleet. 

There was an NYCT 2200 MCI from SI out on Long Island doing the emergency LIRR shuttle bus due to the derailment, there was also school buses and NICE Bus equipment working the shuttle, I saw this on the news about the derailment. If a fanner was able to make it out there they must have had an great time 😃

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought of the day: Ulmer Park slaps ads on their newer XD40’s.  Only issue I have is that with the newer XD40’s the rear ad is not in its usual position like the 2015 XD40’s.  Some buses have a 30x215 Northfield Bank billboard.

Saw 7567 today on the :bus_bullet_b64: (which had a 30x215 Northfield ad and one of the new Oatly ads on the rear) and I really like the new placement.

The older ad placement meant that the top of the ad was placed on a crease and it just didn't look good. Now it's standardized between Novas and Xcelsiors and the ads fit both.

Edited by Around the Horn

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

So much for "Gridlock Alert Day". All my bus trips were smooth as coldbrew. Them calling gridlock alert (via Twitter) worked in getting traffic off the streets -_-

Friday or Saturday? 

The NJ Turnpike, LIE and Van Wyck were crushed during the afternoon rush on Friday. 

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Saw 7567 today on the :bus_bullet_b64: (which had a 30x215 Northfield ad and one of the new Oatly ads on the rear) and I really like the new placement.

The older ad placement meant that the top of the ad was placed on a crease and it just didn't look good. Now it's standardized between Novas and Xcelsiors and the ads fit both.

The only thing I would like to see more for (MTA) NYCT is to invest more on ads that actually fit on the NOVAS similar to SEPTA. Since now NYCT has these SEPTA Novas the Vision Zero ad is a perfect example (Top portion only) could be used on the MQ/GH buses.  

Too bad that UP can’t slap a 30x240 ad on these XD40 since those are reserved for express. Many years ago when the 18xx buses were local they had 30x240 ads, and also saw some one on 3160, and 47xx buses. However, UP finally making good progress on these buses. Oh, side ad-passenger side is Harbor Fitness (Bay Ridge based gym). 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The only thing I would like to see more for (MTA) NYCT is to invest more on ads that actually fit on the NOVAS similar to SEPTA. Since now NYCT has these SEPTA Novas the Vision Zero ad is a perfect example (Top portion only) could be used on the MQ/GH buses.  

Too bad that UP can’t slap a 30x240 ad on these XD40 since those are reserved for express. Many years ago when the 18xx buses were local they had 30x240 ads, and also saw some one on 3160, and 47xx buses. However, UP finally making good progress on these buses. Oh, side ad-passenger side is Harbor Fitness (Bay Ridge based gym). 

Most of the Outfront products are available "systemwide", except for Super Kings (M only), Ultra Super Kings (M and B only), and Queens (M and Bx only) according to the latest media book. One would think Express buses are included under the "systemwide" umbrella, but no distinctions are given.

The current media book does not contain any of the "live areas" per bus model like previous books (and the NYC book was one that actually had that). But the way the MTA has those Tails and "Franklins" (upper & lower Tail) spec'd are not as effective as would a Tail (lower only) and Fullback (entire back, top/bottom/side/side) be.

Also interesting is how Outfront has all the examples (except for an Extension shown on an Express bus and a King on a D60HF) depicted on Orions -- no examples of XDs or Nova LFS/LFSAs. (Headlights used to be pictured on RTSes and Orions.) Active areas will be different, still, between all the models -- so that could mean a potential advertiser having to modify their presentation to fit. We've got plenty of examples running around where Kings fit perfectly on the DDOT D40LFs but look like crap on the SMART Gilligs because they "float" too much against the three new livery schemes.

With the way MTA needs money, still amazes me in the #1 ad market that full, 3/4 and junior Wraps aren't allowed. DDOT pulled some good money about 3-4 years ago (following the "recession") when a local lawyer had a pink-scheme Full Wrap on around 15 buses. Talk about easily spotting those around town.

35 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

Most of the Outfront products are available "systemwide", except for Super Kings (M only), Ultra Super Kings (M and B only), and Queens (M and Bx only) according to the latest media book. One would think Express buses are included under the "systemwide" umbrella, but no distinctions are given.

The current media book does not contain any of the "live areas" per bus model like previous books (and the NYC book was one that actually had that). But the way the MTA has those Tails and "Franklins" (upper & lower Tail) spec'd are not as effective as would a Tail (lower only) and Fullback (entire back, top/bottom/side/side) be.

Also interesting is how Outfront has all the examples (except for an Extension shown on an Express bus and a King on a D60HF) depicted on Orions -- no examples of XDs or Nova LFS/LFSAs. (Headlights used to be pictured on RTSes and Orions.) Active areas will be different, still, between all the models -- so that could mean a potential advertiser having to modify their presentation to fit. We've got plenty of examples running around where Kings fit perfectly on the DDOT D40LFs but look like crap on the SMART Gilligs because they "float" too much against the three new livery schemes.

With the way MTA needs money, still amazes me in the #1 ad market that full, 3/4 and junior Wraps aren't allowed. DDOT pulled some good money about 3-4 years ago (following the "recession") when a local lawyer had a pink-scheme Full Wrap on around 15 buses. Talk about easily spotting those around town.

I need to read the media book for outfront to get a better understanding of this. But also I agree with your statement in regards to ad space. I feel the TA can spend more ad dollars in the outer boroughs especially BK & QU which have express bus depots and possibly slap a 30x240 ad on a local bus,  driverside wraps and exterior roof ads. Sometimes everything doesn’t have to be exclusive to Manhattan.  

During my visits to The Bronx recently they have a driverside wrap of The Bronx Zoo and I think one more wrap Uber Eats. However, you have a borough like Brooklyn which is closest to Manhattan has not one bus with a driverside wrap with exception of Bronx Transfers from KB and Gun Hill. 

(MTA) should take a page from SEPTA with those rear ads that cover the whole back panel. 

7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I need to read the media book for outfront to get a better understanding of this. But also I agree with your statement in regards to ad space. I feel the TA can spend more ad dollars in the outer boroughs especially BK & QU which have express bus depots and possibly slap a 30x240 ad on a local bus,  driverside wraps and exterior roof ads. Sometimes everything doesn’t have to be exclusive to Manhattan.  

During my visits to The Bronx recently they have a driverside wrap of The Bronx Zoo and I think one more wrap Uber Eats. However, you have a borough like Brooklyn which is closest to Manhattan has not one bus with a driverside wrap with exception of Bronx Transfers from KB and Gun Hill. 

(MTA) should take a page from SEPTA with those rear ads that cover the whole back panel. 

TBH the MTA must be doing their usual piss-poor coordination with Outfront on the bus-side, and shifting towards the digital displays on the subway and, to an extent, the railroads. Those displays are in pretty much every station rehab plan, and some of the LIRR stations on that specific "improved Long Island" MTA website shows off those additions at rehabbed stations.

Another problem is all of the "graffiti" in the new livery schemes (wraps). Used to be limited to the tail differences, and the headliner of the "Clean Air Hybrid". Start covering portions of that and it just looks unprofessional overall -- which is why the blue stripe scheme should have been continued (plus no risks of having to re-wrap due to ad-adhesive damage).

Back when SMART came up with their U-M/MSU/Wayne State U livery schemes, those buses were not available for ad placements. Part of this was due to them being the "new" buses of the fleet. But now that's out the window, and some of the ads look completely dorky, because livery elements ("graffiti") get half-covered. AND, those new paintjobs have not held up to the ad adhesive -- sections have been peeled-off when Kings have been removed.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Please for the love of god, no side wraps...

it's almost impossible to see out the windows sometimes and they give you a headache by the end of the ride.

11 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Please for the love of god, no side wraps...

it's almost impossible to see out the windows sometimes and they give you a headache by the end of the ride.

Copy that. If (MTA) goes back to rear wraps I’d be fine with that. They complain not enough $$$$. 

*off topic*

Not sure why Body Wisdom Acupuncture is the one supplying me with a copy of a 2009 Queens Bus Map but it takes me back... I miss the time before the whole SBS craze and all of the service cuts.

P.S. Why did the B3 get cut back from Avenue X?

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

*off topic*

Not sure why Body Wisdom Acupuncture is the one supplying me with a copy of a 2009 Queens Bus Map but it takes me back... I miss the time before the whole SBS craze and all of the service cuts.

P.S. Why did the B3 get cut back from Avenue X?

Verbatim....

"Description of Action:

Discontinue B3 service on the low ridership segment south of Avenue U/71st Street. B3 service on the remaining portions of the route would be unaffected."

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Verbatim....

"Description of Action:

Discontinue B3 service on the low ridership segment south of Avenue U/71st Street. B3 service on the remaining portions of the route would be unaffected."

Hold up. Did the B41 or B3 at one point (part-time) go to East 74th Street-Bergen Avenue and Avenue U. I’m a little ignorant when it becomes to Bergen Beach bus service. 

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hold up. Did the B41 or B3 at one point (part-time) go to East 74th Street-Bergen Avenue and Avenue U. I’m a little ignorant when it becomes to Bergen Beach bus service. 

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

Copy. Which could only mean that other side of Bergen Beach is car centric and not wise for the B3 or B41 to service south of East 71 & Avenue U.