BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 5/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, danielhg121 said:

I think the operator was doing a codebreak. The last run he has is a BxM9 to Layton, unless they called him up for some overtime. lol

According to TransSee:

1: Vehicle 2926 on route BxM7-Co-Op City - Midtown going ↑Co-Op City Dreiser Loop via Bruckner Exy past E 35 St on Madison Av Last Seen at May 13 10:13:49AM

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Holy NYCTF update...looks interesting on mobile...they need a gray/dark mode now.

Anyways, the new Prevost are gonna be called the COVID buses imo because them shits were rushed. They either didn't have enough workers and had to meet a timeline, or not enough quality control or something. I rode 1560, 1562, 1565, 1566, and 1575. 1565 and 1575 rattle so much and and the suspension on these buses are so loose and bouncy. 

I kid you not some of the 2700s ride much better. Hopefully Meredith can tune these up a bit. 

Possibly and unfortunately. Lots of orders were rushed through during pandemic negatively impacting the quality of products or preventing thorough testing. On thing to keep in mind is that these new Prevosts have big shoes I mean big wheels to fill. Many older buses, were in many MTA observers' views retired prematurely to make room for these new Prevost units. Let's hope they will prove to be worthy successors.

1 hour ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Possibly and unfortunately. Lots of orders were rushed through during pandemic negatively impacting the quality of products or preventing thorough testing. On thing to keep in mind is that these new Prevosts have big shoes I mean big wheels to fill. Many older buses, were in many MTA observers' views retired prematurely to make room for these new Prevost units. Let's hope they will prove to be worthy successors.

Which buses were retired prematurely? We had express buses from 2001-2002 and others from 2005-2007. The buses being retired have gotten more than their fair share of use and the riders want new buses. That is all I get asked about by commuters is when are we getting new buses? 

1 hour ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

I hope, I mean the older models are holding up well, but they didn't run like this when they were brand new. 

Listen to this video... and you feel all of these bumps.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JPjg1zc2rxo?feature=share

Honestly the only thing I like about the newer Prevost are the interior screens. If they can install interior screens on the older models I'd not care to catch these new ones. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

59 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Is the cheapest way to JFK Airport taking the Q3 and then getting on the AirTrain at Terminal 5? I believe the AirTrain is $7.75 now from outside the airport but free inside the airport?

Yeah, they upped the fare to that damn thing back in November of 2019... Haven't been on it since (not b/c of the fare increase, but simply b/c I don't have a use for it like that).... If I want JFK, I just hop on the B15 & call it a day.... You'll find that a lot of folks will get off at Lefferts AIRTrain for that xfer for that very reason - because it's free)... Some'll still do the xfer at T5 also (but it's a lot more walking/cumbersome to do it)....The former of the aforementioned phenomenons isn't solely as such on the B15, but on the Q10 as well...

Edited by B35 via Church

As far as non-AirTrain travel from the airport goes, I took the B15 to the (3) only 2-3 times from JFK, but have to admit it was pretty direct compared to taking the Q10 to the (A) or (E) (as far as getting to Manhattan was concerned).  Took the Q3 once to Jamaica Center; big mistake- got the scenic tour of Farmers Boulevard.

7 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Is the cheapest way to JFK Airport taking the Q3 and then getting on the AirTrain at Terminal 5? I believe the AirTrain is $7.75 now from outside the airport but free inside the airport?

You better off taking the train. Best bet. (MTA) LIRR to Jamaica. If you want local. (A) express your Howard Beach than air train to T-5. Do not take the bus at all. 

17 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

You better off taking the train. Best bet. (MTA) LIRR to Jamaica. If you want local. (A) express your Howard Beach than air train to T-5. Do not take the bus at all. 

Both of those are more expensive.

8 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Took the Q3 once to Jamaica Center; big mistake- got the scenic tour of Farmers Boulevard.

Not sure if sarcasm is being displayed here, but either way, Lol at "scenic"....

The thing that doesn't do it for the Q3 ride to/from JFK for me has less to do with how visually unappealing Farmers is & all to do with how that route crawls along Farmers.... I'm convinced JA depot b/o's are being told to do so... Even the overnight buses are slower than what they should be, getting from end to end....

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

...except you have to pay the $7.75 AIRTrain fare at Howard Beach.

@danielhg121 asked for cheaper, not most efficient....

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Q10 to Lefferts (A) and the Airtrain station is better if you're not tryna pay too much.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On 5/21/2021 at 7:16 PM, danielhg121 said:

It is. But my question is why is the fare so high to begin with when PA pays no tax, has only maintenance staff for AirTrain, and already collects PFC on each plane ticket that takes off. Has anyone actually audited PA’s books to see what division is undercharging and forcing AirTrain fares to be so high?

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I may be wrong on this, but I haven't seen any of the Kingsbridge Nova hybrids run for the past few days. I wonder if something is going on with the hybrids.

I mean, 9648 has been having problems since delivery but I wonder if it’s a more broad issue or just that one bus. Like Xcelsior said, these buses were definitely rushed because of covid

44 minutes ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

I mean, 9648 has been having problems since delivery but I wonder if it’s a more broad issue or just that one bus. Like Xcelsior said, these buses were definitely rushed because of covid

He was referring to the new Prevosts, not the Nova Hybrids. Besides that, the Novas at Manhattanville have been running consistently since they were delivered so I don't know of the status of the KB units.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

He was referring to the new Prevosts, not the Nova Hybrids. Besides that, the Novas at Manhattanville have been running consistently since they were delivered so I don't know of the status of the KB units.

I don’t think there’s any issues, if I’m not mistaken, one was on the A shuttle today. I think it’s a matter of probably everyone wanting their runs with the NGs before they go. I could be talking out my rear end though, and could be wrong.

58 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

He was referring to the new Prevosts, not the Nova Hybrids.

Prevost and Nova are the same company tho, so who knows...

Either that or driver preference for the NGs. Those NG's still have quite a bit left in the tank, and that's in spite of KB and GH's mediocre maintenance of their buses.