BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Who said I was the one using it? Sometimes we ask questions for others.

I'm not sure who said you used it, other than the fact you said:

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It happens when I dip my metro card in randomly. One driver told me my card was “black listed”, everyone else told me on their screen it says NEGATIVE LIST. Not sure what’s going on with that.

Don't understand the reason stories have to be switched up if what you're saying is true. But anyways, yes there are sometimes glitches with MetroCards. One example is where I had an expired unlimited MetroCard that for some reason worked on the Subway but not on the bus. Lasted I think at least 2 months or such.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Don't understand the reason stories have to be switched up if what you're saying is true. But anyways, yes there are sometimes glitches with MetroCards. One example is where I had an expired unlimited MetroCard that for some reason worked on the Subway but not on the bus. Lasted I think at least 2 months or such.

Some of these glitches are the result of old technology.  There are a few that the (MTA) apparently weren't aware of too.  For example, there was one where if you dipped your card and it had a zero balance on it, it would not give you your transfer.  Apparently the transfer couldn't be seen with a zero balance, so they had to make some tweaks to fix it.  

There is the example you provided, which I have had myself where my Metrocard couldn't be read when I dipped it on the express bus, but it worked when I swiped it at a turnstile. I've heard of some other crazy ones where the expiration date that shows up when you dip or swipe changes, but the card still expires at whatever the original date it was supposed to expire.  

17 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yeah, I've been constantly having issues moreso now than ever, after several months of having the card, I run into a "READ ERROR" on the buses on occasions (usually works fine on the subway). I've had to change my card in one instance because it almost always stopped working on the bus a little over halfway through the monthly period. 

It's highly annoying although thankfully from my interactions with the operators, it seems like they're understanding of it. I've never remember having this issue like that pre pandemic either.

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, I've been constantly having issues moreso now than ever, after several months of having the card, I run into a "READ ERROR" on the buses on occasions (usually works fine on the subway). I've had to change my card in one instance because it almost always stopped working on the bus a little over halfway through the monthly period. 

It's highly annoying although thankfully from my interactions with the operators, it seems like they're understanding of it. I've never remember having this issue like that pre pandemic either.

Exactly. I’ve never seen some of these errors before either, “NEGATIVELIST”, “CALLDISPATCH”, “READ ERROR”, etc etc.

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do certain LFSA artics in Manhattan not have the new info screens?

There are plenty of newer 2016/2017 XD60s that don’t have those screens either. One of my pet peeves with the (MTA) is that they aren’t consistent in making sure their fleet is up to date with the latest features they implement. You have some 2009 Orion VII’s with the info screens but it’s absent on the 2017 XD60’s which will most likely be in service for probably 8-10 more years. 
They do the same thing with their subway fleet. 

Metrocard RTS 0006 just drove past me at the park!

Was in the park browsing and heard a very familiar sound that I knew I heard before (DD50 engine) turned around it was the RTS! It got on the West Side Highway. Always cool when I run into those Metrocard RTS post spring of 2019.

Edited by trainfan22

On 10/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I've had more issues with turnstiles taking my ride and not letting me through. It's like the MTA is trying to passive-aggressively force everyone to use OMNY (even though it's still in its rollout phase and doesn't include commuter benefits, senior benefits, etc)

2 hours ago, mine248 said:

8086 was hijacked and crashed into a utility pole. Not too sure if this is a write-off since the roof might've taken some damage https://go.citizen.com/hdZd4aMetub

What a crazy story, i just heard it on the news. It sounded like tbe BO somehow got out through a window? I couldn't understand what they meant by that

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What a crazy story, i just heard it on the news. It sounded like the BO somehow got out through a window? I couldn't understand what they meant by that

The operator jumped out through the window where the steering wheel is at. At that incident, rear doors were opened that passengers quickly ran out as fast as they can. 

17 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

It’s easy to play armchair QB, but society would’ve been better off had the driver ran him over and claimed self defense

This incident had a net zero effect on society. Your alternative kills a guy, traumatizes the bus op forever, and suggests we embrace vigilante justice. Why is that better?  

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

This incident had a net zero effect on society. Your alternative kills a guy, traumatizes the bus op forever, and suggests we embrace vigilante justice. Why is that better?  

As if the driver having a gun pulled on him and having to jump out of a window of a moving bus isn't forever traumatizing? lol Not saying that playing vigilante is the answer, but arguing that this incident had "a net zero effect on society" is disingenuous. I get where he's coming from in that some people may want to start taking the law into their own hands.  When you don't have law & order, this is what you get... Chaos... I'd be willing to put money on it that this guy has been released over and over again.  

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As if the driver having a gun pulled on him and having to jump out of a window of a moving bus isn't forever traumatizing? lol Not saying that playing vigilante is the answer, but arguing that this incident had "a net zero effect on society" is disingenuous. I get where he's coming from in that some people may want to start taking the law into their own hands.  When you don't have law & order, this is what you get... Chaos... I'd be willing to put money on it that this guy has been released over and over again.  

It is a "net zero." Nobody got seriously hurt, the passengers are fine, and the guy will go rot in jail for a while. The death-by-auto alternative proposed here accomplishes not much.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

It is a "net zero." Nobody got seriously hurt, the passengers are fine, and the guy will go rot in jail for a while. The death-by-auto alternative proposed here accomplishes not much.

Physically, that we know of... Mentally is another matter. As for the guy "rotting in jail for a while", if that was happening, he wouldn't have been out in the first place.  Let's see if the Queens DA lowers the charges like the Manhattan DA has been doing for the criminals.

How often are the artics used on the M15/M15-SBS cleaned, if ever? Seriously, those buses are disgusting, they need a heavy, thorough washing inside and out. They have cockroaches and are covered in thick dirt. Gross! I will opt to stand up on those buses from now on. 

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

How often are the artics used on the M15/M15-SBS cleaned, if ever? Seriously, those buses are disgusting, they need a heavy, thorough washing inside and out. They have cockroaches and are covered in thick dirt. Gross! I will opt to stand up on those buses from now on. 

Have you seen any of the buses running in Manhattan lately? Panels falling off, exterior all scratched up & dinged, wet seats, it’s kind of embarrassing for a “world class transit agency for the city that never sleeps”.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

M15 is one of the heaviest lines in the whole city. I'd cut them a break considering those buses don't get a rest like that. 

2 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The M15 SBS is based out of an brand new bus depot, always thought they would have an fancy new bus wash that would be superior to the bus washes at the older depots :lol: Well for the exterior of the bus at least, the interior being dirty that's on the passengers.

Grand Ave which is also an fairly new depot seems to keep their buses looking really nice. I don't ride Charleston buses often enough to have an opinion about their cleanliness.

47 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The M15 SBS is based out of an brand new bus depot, always thought they would have an fancy new bus wash that would be superior to the bus washes at the older depots :lol: Well for the exterior of the bus at least, the interior being dirty that's on the passengers.

Grand Ave which is also an fairly new depot seems to keep their buses looking really nice. I don't ride Charleston buses often enough to have an opinion about their cleanliness.

I agree that passengers can do a better job at maintaining their own sanitation and hygiene when taking public transit,  as there's too much littering going on, in addition to an overall disrespect of transit property and infrastructure in general. The depot can try at getting these buses cleaned overnight when service is infrequent, but it's evident that's not the case. From what I've seen, there's a deranged population that seeks refuge on the line similar to the situation on the (E) during the winter months which only solidifies the problem.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

On 10/27/2022 at 2:25 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

What a crazy story, i just heard it on the news. It sounded like tbe BO somehow got out through a window? I couldn't understand what they meant by that

The operator window is also an emergency exit on some buses, simply pull the latch up and swing the window out