BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

34 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I remember back in 2009 I boarded the N6 when it LIB. The woman behind me asked the bus op does this bus go down Sutphin Boulevard,  she said no that's the Q6. A case of right number, wrong letter. Probably happens in Flushing and Jamaica Center as well.

To what degree though?

On 12/29/2022 at 6:37 PM, Lawrence St said:

That new format is disgusting...

I thought they changed timetable formats yet again when I saw this post....

They've had this one for about a year or two now... Have to admit that it's grown on me.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

To what degree though?

Let's see

One could confuse the N20 for the Q20 in Flushing

N6 for the Q6 at Jamaica Terminal. Doubt it would have been N1 for Q1 or N2 for Q2 or N3 for Q3

N4 for Q4 at Jamaica Center

I'm old school. So I left the N capitalized

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder how recently the Next Gens that were sent from NYC Bus to MTA Bus were retired even though they were in service to replace the Old Gens. Meanwhile, the base numbers are still intact that aren't retired (4020-4039, 4140-4169, 4631-4655).

That's because they have more mileage than the (MTA) bus counterparts. NYCT/MaBstoa Buses are used a lot more than the (MTA) bus ones and have way more mileage. Remember they use NYCT/MaBstoa Buses on subway shuttles a lot more than (MTA) bus. Plus a good portion of these buses are beat up, I would say Baisley is lucking out because the majority of their next gens except 1 were from good depots. while a sizable chunk of LGA's NG's were from garbage depots hence why they say screw it and send them to ECH and i can't blame them.

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Let's see

One could confuse the N20 for the Q20 in Flushing

N6 for the Q6 at Jamaica Terminal. Doubt it would have been N1 for Q1 or N2 for Q2 or N3 for Q3

N4 for Q4 at Jamaica Center

I'm old school. So I left the N capitalized

While somewhat rhetorical, what I was getting at is, how often does this confusion of sorts actually happen....

------------------------

As far as Nassau's routes are concerned, I capitalize the N when I'm making a reference to an old LIB route/routing that differs from a current NICE route...

(i.e., I'll say the N79 if I'm referring to the old Mineola - HIcksville route/routing.... If I'm referring to the n79 of today, I'll keep the prefix lowercase.... If the routes are no different, then I'll also keep it lowercase)....Too bad the MTA doesn't come close to the levels of NICE's innovation....

Yes I have taken notice to many changes of routes in the Bronx.   Honestly I love it now with the 36 bus being confined to East Tremont Avenue now.  You get to the heights and back so much faster now!!!

With regard to the Orion 7 next gens, I have already expressed my views about this.  The MTA should save some next gens.  It is still a very innovative design.  It would be a very bad choice to retire all of them.  The acceleration and instant torque is still robust.  Very fast bus.  Very fun to ride on.  More exciting to ride than Beeline's Nabi Hybrids.  

The MTA should save about 30 next gens.  Clean and sanitize them inside real good.  Give them new shocks and retune the engines. That's it. 

You don't want to scrap all of them. Trust me.

39 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought it got merged back into the Q50 or became an extension of the Bx25.

Not sure why you thought that. The Bx23 got more priority when the Q50 was cut from Co-Op City during off-peak hours and weekends during the Bronx Redesign implementation last year.

10 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Not sure why you thought that. The Bx23 got more priority when the Q50 was cut from Co-Op City during off-peak hours and weekends during the Bronx Redesign implementation last year.

What does more priority mean exactly? From the people that use the Bx23, they seem to complain a lot about scheduled buses not showing up.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What does more priority mean exactly? From the people that use the Bx23, they seem to complain a lot about scheduled buses not showing up.

I should of put “in theory” as there was supposed to be a bump in how many buses are scheduled for 23 service. I didn’t realize that was a supposed complaint, but that seems to be a problem system-wide no matter what route.

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

that route still exists?

His point still stands.

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

....From the people that use the Bx23, they seem to complain a lot about scheduled buses not showing up.

There's truth to it, but I've always been of the belief that those complaints were/are being made for no other reason than those riders wanting the old QBx1 back....

10 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

There's truth to it, but I've always been of the belief that those complaints were/are being made for no other reason than those riders wanting the old QBx1 back....

So far they are legitimately complaining about the scheduled trips not coming and thus long waits. Seems to be that they don't have enough drivers to make service. Not sure about recently, but it was a problem a few months after the redesign started.