BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I see, I do recall the Orion VII's sent on both routes once having the Far Rockaway badges on them, though I do suppose it makes more sense in it's current state.

For whatever reason they started pasting JFK badges over the Far Rock badges on the local fleet

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I've been noticing a lot of Q22's and some Q21's out of JFK depot (at least according to their badge), Aren't both routes usually assigned to Far Rockaway Depot IIRC?

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

For whatever reason they started pasting JFK badges over the Far Rock badges on the local fleet

I think it’s been that way since 2012 when hurricane sandy hit NYC and caused damaged to far rockaway depot and so that depot had to close for repairs and their buses were sent to JFK depot since then it’s been confusing 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Where is it going to?

I think shuttles from the ferry to the Verrazano? Or maybe some came from Jersey over the Bayonne? Idk I just saw a conga line of NJT Nabis and Academy MCIs, and a few ALL WHITE 4th gen Nova LFSs heading down Bay Street towards the Verrazano filled to capacity. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I think shuttles from the ferry to the Verrazano? Or maybe some came from Jersey over the Bayonne? Idk I just saw a conga line of NJT Nabis and Academy MCIs, and a few ALL WHITE 4th gen Nova LFSs heading down Bay Street towards the Verrazano filled to capacity. 

Mabye for the runners?

Edit: They are for the runners

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/transportation-to-the-start

Edited by Lil 57

Found this video on YouTube of MTA Bus action from 1996!!! Lots of RTS with 6v92 engines, 90 TMCs before the re Power and brand new 96 RTSs with sliver rims. Also a Surbuban Orion V on the X1

Also a lot of PBL action, MCI Classics on express runs, Green Lines PBL, etc. Videos like this made me wish time machines were a real thing😓

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Found this video on YouTube of MTA Bus action from 1996!!! Lots of RTS with 6v92 engines, 90 TMCs before the re Power and brand new 96 RTSs with sliver rims. Also a Surbuban Orion V on the X1

Also a lot of PBL action, MCI Classics on express runs, Green Lines PBL, etc. Videos like this made me wish time machines were a real thing😓

The last clip was an Orion V (transit) X10. They ran local buses on Express Routes also?

Or was that a suburban bus?

Edited by Lil 57

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The last clip was an Orion V (transit) X10. They ran local buses on Express Routes also?

A handful of RTS and Orion V had suburban seats until the mid 2000's. Namely most of the 100's, 611-630, and some 1000 and 4000 series RTS. 

Even 9250-9349 were once were used for express service. And today we have 9307 and 9348 remaining. The last two buses in service formerly for express.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

A handful of RTS and Orion V had suburban seats until the mid 2000's. Namely most of the 100's, 611-630, and some 1000 and 4000 series RTS. 

Even 9250-9349 were once were used for express service. And today we have 9307 and 9348 remaining. The last two buses in service formerly for express.

Small thing, but 9302 also

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

As was already mentioned, it was a surbuban bus. The MTA didn't get MCI buses for express routes until 1998.

Some of the Queens PBL ran hard seat buses on express routes, in the video there's a Queens Surface TMC RTS working one of the QM routes. There was a photo online somewhere of a GMC RTS on the QM21.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Bringing back memories with that. I remember when Quill threw those suburban-seat buses on local routes and it was a complete treat getting the coach seats. Last rode one on the M8 if I'm remembering right. Either an RTS or O5, can't say I remember the model but I do remember the luxury!

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Bringing back memories with that. I remember when Quill threw those suburban-seat buses on local routes and it was a complete treat getting the coach seats. Last rode one on the M8 if I'm remembering right. Either an RTS or O5, can't say I remember the model but I do remember the luxury!

Those were good memories. I remember when they threw the 17xx, 18xx and the 93xx buses on the B6, B3, B64 during my days in working in Bay Ridge.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Those RTS buses with coach seats were sometimes on the B1 in the 2000s. Not sure exactly what years, but I definitely got buses like that on two or three separate occasions.

Edited by P3F

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, trainfan22 said:

If you brought the B/O’s from that video over to 2018, half of them would probably be written up.

Man, I’d say ‘96 right up to about ‘08 was the best time period on the (MTA) bus side overall.

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Wow, what a week so far. First the (C) line gets a brand new train and MJQ finally gets new 40FT buses fresh from the factory. In recent years whenever Quill got a brand new 40FT bus they usually ran only on the M42/50, now ALL of the 40FT routes at Quill will get new factory fresh equipment😄

Well, the Xcelsiors will become an everyday thing eventually on the Quill routes. That's why I don't really keep an eye on them. 

I care more about retiring fleets like the RTS and D60HFs because they'll be history soon and they're also very nostalgic. 

2 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Well, the Xcelsiors will become an everyday thing eventually on the Quill routes. That's why I don't really keep an eye on them. 

I care more about retiring fleets like the RTS and D60HFs because they'll be history soon and they're also very nostalgic. 

Xcelsiors will be an all Brooklyn thing in future but I was hoping that a D60HF artic would run in Brooklyn. The last time I saw one was on a Q train shuttle I believe I rode years ago. 

Xcelsiors with inward opening doors open so fast. Literally would've been perfect for the MTA. Them Novas take like 5 secs to open. 

Another stupid spec decision. 

Edit: I just checked the S79 on bus time as of 7:41. There's an SI Mall bound S79 approaching Richmond & Hylan, one at Hylan and Clove SI Mall bound the following SI Mall bus is at 4th Ave & 86st.

There are legit 13 buses Bay Ridge bound in-between Hylan and Quintard, and Narrows Rd and Fingerboard...wtf happened on the bridge today....

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888