BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Umm Port Chester, Green port, West Port I can think of a few areas that kicked the(ir) industrial past.

Key phrase there.

Of course places are subject to change....

(p.s. Westport [in CT] & Greenport [out in LI] are both one word.... )

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

But I understand that's kinda why I asked when I think of Port Richmond I think of Richmond Terrace didn't know the Neighboorhood went low-density residential.

I've never known it to be anything but (that)....

As far as feel or things of that nature, when I think of Port Richmond, I think of its corresponding named avenue... The commercial sector of that road could stand to undergo some sort of revitalizing or something (and that's being VERY nice about it).....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Random thought: These service increases on the B52 are doing mighty well. This about the 4th B52 I’ve seen going to Ridgewood in a 10 minute span.  However, there are 4 B25’s bunches up on Fulton heading towards East New York. 

Heh, B25's are always bunching, what else is new.... Used to wait for the B12 over on Alabama, you'd have 2 buses parked one behind the other along ENY av (in front of that HOtel & that Burger Ur Way place); which is the B25 layover spot..... At the first pickup stop itself though, I mean you'd stand there, wait for the B12 & within a 5 minute span, 2 buses would come down Alabama, destination sign off, people setting up to bumrush the bus (not knowing what bus it is yet).....

....only to find out at the very last second, you'd have b/o's that'd display the B25 signage (good way to troll passengers.... I'm almost certain you have b/o's that do that on purpose)... Then you see everybody (except for like, 6 people out of like 70+) back off.... Rinse, wash, repeat.... Worst I've ever seen was four B25's show up at the first pick up spot, before the B12 came.... So I say that to say, the B25 is no stranger in the bunching dept....

As for the B52, it's good that those people got more service, but buses have got to stop intentionally crawling at a certain point.... It's usually anywhere between Malcolm X & Broadway (especially), towards Ridgewood Term... Highly annoying.... So much so that I tend to favor the B26 if I need to get to Ridgewood from Downtown; it moves better (even though it does that "hug-the-curbside-so-the-bus-going-the-opposite-direction-can-pass-by" bit, for a good chunk of the route.... That's a route that's just about never talked about on here btw (B26)...

40 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Heh, B25's are always bunching, what else is new.... Used to wait for the B12 over on Alabama, you'd have 2 buses parked one behind the other along ENY av (in front of that HOtel & that Burger Ur Way place); which is the B25 layover spot..... At the first pickup stop itself though, I mean you'd stand there, wait for the B12 & within a 5 minute span, 2 buses would come down Alabama, destination sign off, people setting up to bumrush the bus (not knowing what bus it is yet).....

....only to find out at the very last second, you'd have b/o's that'd display the B25 signage (good way to troll passengers.... I'm almost certain you have b/o's that do that on purpose)... Then you see everybody (except for like, 6 people out of like 70+) back off.... Rinse, wash, repeat.... Worst I've ever seen was four B25's show up at the first pick up spot, before the B12 came.... So I say that to say, the B25 is no stranger in the bunching dept....

As for the B52, it's good that those people got more service, but buses have got to stop intentionally crawling at a certain point.... It's usually anywhere between Malcolm X & Broadway (especially), towards Ridgewood Term... Highly annoying.... So much so that I tend to favor the B26 if I need to get to Ridgewood from Downtown; it moves better (even though it does that "hug-the-curbside-so-the-bus-going-the-opposite-direction-can-pass-by" bit, for a good chunk of the route.... That's a route that's just about never talked about on here btw (B26)...

Yes I agree. The service spans on the 26 definitely needs some form of an increase. I kinda find it disrespectful to the folks of Halsey Street not receiving adequate bus service unlike Gates Avenue Every where you turn a 52 is rolling down Greene Avenue in both direx. The 52 is the unofficial B38 with expanded service since the 38 is no longer Fresh Pond. 

The Bx26 deserves artics IMO. At least 25% during rush hour. Midday would be uncalled for but towards the start of rush hour, they shld start getting them out on the road. I dunno how the runs r scheduled but those starting at 2-4PM shld start getting them out LOL. As with every NYC bus line, the buses bunch if there’s any traffic and high amount of pax. But I do have to admit ridership does die down towards Co-op City. 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:23 PM, danielhg121 said:

The Bx26 deserves artics IMO. At least 25% during rush hour. Midday would be uncalled for but towards the start of rush hour, they shld start getting them out on the road. I dunno how the runs r scheduled but those starting at 2-4PM shld start getting them out LOL. As with every NYC bus line, the buses bunch if there’s any traffic and high amount of pax. But I do have to admit ridership does die down towards Co-op City. 

A few times I saw artics run occasionally on the Bx28 and Bx30 routes in the middays. Why is that?

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know why the Bx55 was eliminated?

It's kinda sorta still around for pick purposes... The old Bx55 runs are still based out of Kingsbridge while the legacy Bx15 runs are still out of West Farms. Only difference is that the KB runs are local runs and the limited stop runs are out of WF.

As for the part that ran between Fordham Plaza and Gun Hill Road, the Bx41 SBS more or less replaced it.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So the Bx15 Limited is in some way a part of the Bx55?

This bx55 conversation brings back so many memories I remember when the bx55 ended at 1am and operated on weekends they need to extend the bx15 Limited service cause ending it at 7pm does not work and also adding weekends I can’t wait for it to be converted to a select bus route 

Has anyone checked the weather for this Tuesday?

It seems that both of the weather sites that I check on a regular basis are predicting snow with Weather Underground (3-5 inches) and Accuweather (1-3 inches). 

It maybe a good time for our fellow posters in Manhattan and the Bronx to be on the look out over the next day to see if the 40 foot buses from other garages make an appearance.

5 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

Has anyone checked the weather for this Tuesday?

It seems that both of the weather sites that I check on a regular basis are predicting snow with Weather Underground (3-5 inches) and Accuweather (1-3 inches). 

It maybe a good time for our fellow posters in Manhattan and the Bronx to be on the look out over the next day to see if the 40 foot buses from other garages make an appearance.

It’s not a full snow storm. The snow will switch to rain throughout the day. However, if the weather is warm enough. Expect the same forecast as the last time = RAIN ️ and not SNOW ❄️ 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

It’s not a full snow storm. The snow will switch to rain throughout the day. However, if the weather is warm enough. Expect the same forecast as the last time = RAIN ️ and not SNOW ❄️ 

I just reviewed both posts and as well as the weather underground 10 day chart and both Accuweather and Weatherunderground have it changing to rain but after a prolonged period of snow changing to ice and then rain. The temperature forecasts for the day indicate that it will be very close to 32 degrees or at the freezing level. This winter, the weather systems have been coming from west to east which precludes large amounts of snow. If this was a normal winter  then it would follow the usual pattern of storms coming from the south to north, then the snow amounts will be much higher.  Past forecasts do not indicate that the same pattern will be followed on Tuesday  and compare it to the November storm forecast and how it changed in a couple of hours.

When I read many of the posts on this forum, there are a lot of posts that are pure speculation of what will occur when for example new buses and trains will be going when they arrive, that is basically a management decision that involves specific garages and yards and is done over a long period of time.

A snow event such as this is totally different as it change in a matter of minutes. After the November storm, the MTA does not want to hear from every politician and every so called journalist who knows nothing about transit coming out of the woodwork to blame the MTA, forgetting the fact that weather is an inexact science and therefore can change in a New York minute.  it is my opinion that the MTA will err on the side of caution and  will  put chains on bus tires and will replace the artics with the 40 foot buses on Tuesday. 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, paulrivera said:

It's kinda sorta still around for pick purposes... The old Bx55 runs are still based out of Kingsbridge while the legacy Bx15 runs are still out of West Farms. Only difference is that the KB runs are local runs and the limited stop runs are out of WF.

As for the part that ran between Fordham Plaza and Gun Hill Road, the Bx41 SBS more or less replaced it.

The late night Bx15 short turns to/from 149 St are also former Bx55 runs, problem is after 4am nothing replaces them, so late night service is not 20 minutes all night, it can be up to 60 minutes wait at certain directions/days

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Bronx buses are getting snow chains installed as of the PM pull-outs.

Well they did such a fine job with preparation, that there is still salt here in Riverdale from the last so called snow storm:

51736374_10215867940383872_1289889609404

51651994_10215867941263894_6834253189479

Took these this morning while waiting for the express bus along Henry Hudson Parkway and 232nd.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8